Looking for best all around detector under 800.00

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking to add a detector to my prospecting arsenal. I am planning on using it mostly for gold, but will use it on the beach at a few different lakes. Would like to keep the price under 800.00

Gold Bug Pro is a great dual-purpose machine that loves to find gold nuggets, but it finds coins too; however, as with all dual-purpose machines, you'll lose some bells and whistles on the coin side, but it's the best two-for-one bang for the buck detector in your price range. The X-Terra 705 by Minelab will also do the job, but the Bug Pro is easier to run, and I love the digital displays on it better than the way the Minelab is set up.

Good luck with your choices, and all the best,

Lanny

P.S. You'll probably get lots of different opinions on your possible choices, so be ready for that as well. The fact is different people like detectors for different reasons making finding the "perfect" detector in any price range a very subjective request.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesprp Lobo Super Traq would be my choice. Disc or not, great auto gb mode, ez pin point, built tough yet light enough to use many many hours, guaranteed for LIFE and great on tiny nuggets. I'd have my ol'trusty GB2 around, as always, as it will find just about anything BUT no disc makes it pretty useless in high trash/relic areas. John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold bug pro #1 Mxt #2.....Both run pretty close to the same way. The GB pro is lighter. and more user friendly. It is great in trashy areas especially with the smaller coil.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Arizona with my Scorpion Gold Stinger on a gold trip earlier this year....almost everybody else (30 people or so total in the area) had either a GB2 or a GB Pro....couple of ATX and Minelab guys on a mix.

The one guy with a F-19 scored 3x as much as anybody else. Everybody came away impressed. Stock coil. Says he uses it for coins...relics...nuggets. Never lets him down.

Yes the other machine would have hit his targets and yes it could be considered luck. But the small handful of pickers this guy had was amazing compared to everybody else.

It will def be my next "all purpose" machine...it definitely does it all.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nokta Fors Core...great for prospecting and has a beach mode!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold bug pro or G2+ (identical to the F-19 but with a better handle) would be my choice.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT All Pro, $823 with 10" DD coil and white is giving a $100 gift visa card on detectors till end of year, see the web site for details

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Garret ATPro. I like mine almost as much as I like my Deus, and more than I like my CTX

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Garrett AT Gold is also an option well below your $ limit and probabaly a better option for a gold hunter as well as coin shooter.
You can dunk the AT series machines up to 10' deep in the lakes as well. Totally submersable.

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks that gives me a great starting point! But by all means don't stop with suggestions. I like the fact the Garrett at can be submerged.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are like women...one mans pleasure is yet anothers' nightmare. Use first for at least a dozen hours or so with a experienced miner as many of these models as possible and see what matches your temperament or if at all fun to you-John

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are cheaper then women :laughing7:

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Detectors are like women...one mans pleasure is yet anothers' nightmare. Use first for at least a dozen hours or so with a experienced miner as many of these models as possible and see what matches your temperament or if at all fun to you-John

I don't know, men tend to squeal and grunt a lot when they see shiny things.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nokta FORS Gold

I have owned the GBII and GB Pro which are both great detectors, but I much more prefer the FORS Gold for options, highly mineralized soil preset (Boost mode), and how strong this thing is.

It really is an awesome all around VLF detector that will do everything that you want it to.
If you plan on doing salt water beach hunting a lot then you might want to think about the FORS CoRe, it will still find the gold but now it can handle wet salty sand.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The F19 (pretty much a GB Pro on steroids)

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All good advise above.

My two cents on the underwater units: You will find more stuff at the beach in the water (vs the dry), so a detector that can be used to at least wading depth is a plus. For both nugget hunting and beach hunting, if you get a land-only detector, then it is helpful if at least the coil can get wet. The big issue on underwater units is they are heavy ... you can use them in the dry, but if you are detecting for a while, they will fatigue your arm.

My best advise is to identify the kind of detecting that you will do most and get the best detector for the price (used or new) and your location. Use it in your secondary kind of detecting, but at some point you will probably buy a different detector for that. This way, you have not compromised too much on your initial detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread