Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure that's not cheese? I would test it - put it on a burger and see if it melts. :laughing7:

Oh, and BTW - CONGRATS!!!! That's a beauty!!!!!

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did that one come from? Does it have some copper in it? Looks like it in the photos.

I got a BB sized one around Sheboygan.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job! It is an outstanding nugget.

OP
OP
Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was atop a hill overlooking the Milwaukee River. I need to get back to hunt for more before the snow starts flying.
A flock of Geese have taken up residence and would wander around while I was detecting between the piles of Goose Poop.
After the detector went off I thought it was just another hot rock It looked like more Crap. Put it in my bag for a better look later.
At the end of the hunt we where comparing finds. I showed the rock to my hunting partner and mentioned how heavy it felt and what he thought.
A little spit and rub on my jeans it started cleaning up. My hunting partner rubbed it on the curb and said it looks like Gold.
Took it home and in 5 minuets with a tooth brush and some arm and hammer tooth paste it started gleaming.
Yes it dose have a little vein of Copper in it which gives it its Cheesy Wisconsin Character. :love10:
It passed the 18K acid test I have and on the detector it rings up the same as an 18K ring I found this summer at the lake.
My other bigger Nugget I dug out of the water @ Lake Geneva.

Where did that one come from? Does it have some copper in it? Looks like it in the photos.

I got a BB sized one around Sheboygan.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find. I didnt know there was gold that size in Wisconsin. Hope you find more

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like Green Bay Lobe glacial till. There is a copper claim south of Deer Park. It might have come out of that.

Would love to have seen that nugget before it got dragged 400 miles!

OP
OP
Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could there be some truth to a child's fairy tale?

I have seen birds eating rocks before. Found this online.
"Many species of birds will swallow stones. These aid in digestion because they help grind items in their stomachs. These stones are called gizzard stones or gastroliths and are usually smooth and round from the polishing action in the animal's stomach. When too smooth to do their required work, they may be passed or regurgitated."
Also the interweb stated deer and other grain eating animals ingest stones.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is many newspaper articles from 1800s in california of people cleaning their chickens and finding little nuggets in their gizzard or craw. Especially those living in gold country.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a thing of beauty! Gold rush in Wisconsin!

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oddest gold nugget I've ever seen. Might be electrum. Looks like you etched the surface with acid or something.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote banner! Nuggets that size are darn rare as it is but from Wisconsin!! :notworthy:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddest gold nugget I've ever seen. Might be electrum. Looks like you etched the surface with acid or something.

It's actually what's known as "halfbreed." In the Keewanaw, you find a lot of copper with spots of silver in it. Most copper mine owners never got a true read of the amount of silver in their mines, as the silver went home in the miner's lunch pails. Most UP gold is very bright due to the silver content, but not true electrum. (over 20-30%) Electrum is known to be found near the Ropes Gold Mine at Ishpeming, MI. The nugget was found in the area where the Green Bay and Lake Michigan lobes split and deposited till. Follow that line up NNE and it would take you to the Grand Marais/Deer Park area where there is a copper claim. It may mean there's hard rock gold associated with the copper.

OP
OP
Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the definition and your input Capt Nemo Some of my sons prospector friends out in California where puzzled to.

I looked up Grand Marais MI on a map; I can picture the trajectory. I Stopped at the beach in Marquette MI. I have a bucket of that black sand some where.

I have been up to Copper Harbor and have some super nice copper specimens; I purchased no less at the gas station in town. A life enjoyment area.
My hunting partner suggested we land hunt an area NNW where we know of some exposed bedrock or it is close to the surface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread