Buying a detector! Gold Bug 2 a logical choice?

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,

This is a pretty basic question and I almost hated to create a thread for it, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track before I spend hundreds of dollars.

I've been thinking really long and hard lately about getting a new metal detector for myself so I can start doing some nuggetshooting, and after much research I've came to the conclusion that the Fisher Gold Bug 2 would probably be my best option. I know different detectors are better for different areas depending on what the gold is like. I live in the Black Hills and for the most part a good way to describe the area is that a lot of it is highly mineralized and the gold is typically on the smaller size (more "pickers" than nuggets are to be found here). Rarely are nuggets of notable size found, most of the bigger gold to be found here is in the single-digit grams. There are over 250 different minerals to be found in the Black Hills, also.

Having said that, does the Gold Bug 2 sound like a logical choice? The only other detector I've considered in my research would be a Nokta FORS Gold. I'm not looking to spend more than $800 I should note. Hopefully I'm on the right track and that a Gold Bug 2 would probably be my best bet, please let me know whether or not you think I'm right. I'd like some opinions before I spend any money.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new Gold Bug Pro is also worth a look. - Good Luck! :occasion14:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

This is a pretty basic question and I almost hated to create a thread for it, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track before I spend hundreds of dollars.

I've been thinking really long and hard lately about getting a new metal detector for myself so I can start doing some nuggetshooting, and after much research I've came to the conclusion that the Fisher Gold Bug 2 would probably be my best option. I know different detectors are better for different areas depending on what the gold is like. I live in the Black Hills and for the most part a good way to describe the area is that a lot of it is highly mineralized and the gold is typically on the smaller size (more "pickers" than nuggets are to be found here). Rarely are nuggets of notable size found, most of the bigger gold to be found here is in the single-digit grams. There are over 250 different minerals to be found in the Black Hills, also.

Having said that, does the Gold Bug 2 sound like a logical choice? The only other detector I've considered in my research would be a Nokta FORS Gold. I'm not looking to spend more than $800 I should note. Hopefully I'm on the right track and that a Gold Bug 2 would probably be my best bet, please let me know whether or not you think I'm right. I'd like some opinions before I spend any money.

Thank you!

I have this exact same dilemma going so don't worry about the thread. I'm leaning towards the Foursgold but I know jack about detecting so don't listen to me :P

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For tiny gold you cannot beat the tried and true Goldbug 2,small coil , low and slow and don't be afraid to wear out the coil covers as the gold production difference will more than pay for replacements-John

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a good source of info on gold detectors:Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors
thanks for the link that was a very helpful article. I was on the fence between gold bug pro or the f19. after reading the reviews I think the pro would be the best fit for me. once I get a little more experience at detecting I think maybe adding a gold bug 2 would be a good way to go, sounds like they are not very noob friendly. but darn good at finding the small gold.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,

Thank you!

If most of your gold is small, you can't beat the Bug 2. It's got a tougher learning curve than some of the newer machine models, but it's a true small gold sniper.

All the best,

Lanny

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a gold bug pro and 2...I have Trinity Rays book also....if your a beginner your much better off with the Pro....The fact that Ray used a GB2 for years and pulled pounds....he now uses a gbpro over the gb2....that says A LOT

OP
OP
Maitland

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you all, truly, for your responses in this thread! I ended up purchasing a new Fisher Gold Bug 2 through an authorized dealer. I had been looking to get a used one, but not only is it very hard to find a used one, but for about $250 more than what the used ones typically go for, I got a new, unabused unit with a five year warranty. By the way, I did get the 6.5" coil because from my research that's probably the one that would do the best here in the Black Hills. Thanks again for your input and advice in this thread, guys!

OP
OP
Maitland

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Gold Bug 2 arrived yesterday and it's fully assembled. I'd love to test it out, but unfortunately we're getting some measurable snowfall here tomorrow! Oh well, something to look forward to! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks again, all!

detector.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To protect the expensive coils always buy the covers and use GE door/window silicone adhesive to hold in place. It is UV protected and ez to peel off when the cover is worn out. Just run a nice bead all the way around to seal out dust,dirt and water and good for years. Kudos as a GREAT reliable unit(mine) for many MANY years with never a single problem-:occasion14: John

OP
OP
Maitland

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks a bunch, John! I appreciate every bit of advice I've received so far relative to my new Gold Bug 2, whether for maintenance or operation. I actually put in an order for one of those covers for my 6.5" elliptical coil just yesterday. I've seen some guys use them and some not, but I'm one of those guys who's big on preventative maintenance; if I can increase the life of something I own by investing a couple of bucks into it, why not? I definitely look forward to getting the coil cover and hopefully going out and using it a little before the snow gets too deep, or the temperature is too cold.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead: bummer Russ as things must have really gone south since we last mined in DC......ravages of time forget no man..John

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
My Gold Bug 2 arrived yesterday and it's fully assembled. I'd love to test it out, but unfortunately we're getting some measurable snowfall here tomorrow! Oh well, something to look forward to! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks again, all!

View attachment 1237797

WAHOO !!! The GB2 is going to be my next detector. Since I live in an area where match head nuggets have been found, this is the logical one to get.

OP
OP
Maitland

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same here, Zip Zip. While there are nuggets to be found here in the 'ounces' category, your odds of finding one are about like that of winning a Powerball Jackpot. Most of ours are in that match head-size category, too... grains or grams. I still haven't had much of a chance to try out my new detector yet! Definitely bought it at the wrong time of the year, it has been too cold and too snowy for me to try to use it very much. I was out one day with it for a couple of hours, found a square nail, a BB, and what may be part of an old bullet but can't tell for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread