Needed Gear For Desert Detecting ?

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
For those of us who have not detected in the desert or chaparral.

What are your recommendations for useful gear BEFORE we go out and nugget shoot ?

I know in my area (San Bernardino County) There are Pacific Diamondback's, Sidewinder's & Mojave Green's, Mountain Lion's (in the foothills lower than normal because of the drought).

What other gear do you use that make the time spent outdoors more useful and make safer, productive, and fun ?

Feel free to tell us what works for you and why.

Besides myself, I think others will find this post very useful, as a lot of us do, we always forget something important. I am planning to have a container all packed with needed items in this container, so when I get the urge, I can grab it and go have a blast.

I want to thank everyone who adds info ahead of time for their help :) .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I already found a very useful post ( Bedrock and Gold The mysteries... ) :) Thank You Lanny in AB :)

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Top of the line snake-proof tent that can hold up to 50-mph wind; good non-metallic boots; snake quards; good hat; hand held GPS; Emergency communication device (Like S.P.O.T. or a Satellite Phone); A good double action revolver that will kill a snake or a wild pig; Beer. Lot's and lots of beer. :headbang:

Attachments

• RichHill98 A08.jpg
    RichHill98 A08.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 127
  • RichHill98 029.jpg
    RichHill98 029.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • richhill 086.jpg
    richhill 086.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Congress09 144.jpg
    Congress09 144.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Rattlesnake 019.jpg
    Rattlesnake 019.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 153

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry's list is great so I will just add too; lite weight BDU pants(lots of pockets), lite weight long sleeve shirt, good pair of knee protectors(tactical ones best), BUFF UV neck/face gator(way better than sun block w/out the goo), a good day pack with large hydration bladder, small first aid kit with snake bite kit(yes they do work) and I also carry a Leatherman on my belt

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been detecting in the desert but want to go on a prospecting trip. I have found the Camelback backpack a must have in the hot months in the southeast. Fill the bladder halfway and freeze overnight. Then top it off the next morning and you have cold water most all day. I chose the larger backpack style to carry other stuff besides just water on my back.

CamelBak M.U.L.E. Mil Tac Coyote Hydration Backpack 61701 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JM0B76/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_hR3CwbKRDE00G

Last edited:

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A snake proof tent?!! Why are snakes so scary? I can assure you all that heat exhaustion and heat stroke are much more dangerous than any other threat. I'd wager the drive on the freeway to and from the desert is the most dangerous part of the whole trip. Falling or sitting on cactus can ruin a trip too. So, I am going to recommend extra water and a seat belt.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A snake proof tent?!! Why are snakes so scary? I can assure you all that heat exhaustion and heat stroke are much more dangerous than any other threat. I'd wager the drive on the freeway to and from the desert is the most dangerous part of the whole trip. Falling or sitting on cactus can ruin a trip too. So, I am going to recommend extra water and a seat belt.

CCI shotshell.....Every snakes worst nightmare
LA traffic on a Friday evening......My worst nightmare!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, that last photo! Are they running in herds now?

OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other

I had a 3 quill piece of cholla cactus go through my leather boot and into the ball of my foot (where the big toe meets my foot) I cut the quills with side cutters so I could painfully remove my foot from the boot. then removed my sock and used a pair of pliers to pull out the quills. It would have been less painful to pull my toe off. The desert / chaparral is like a minefield of wonderful things to keep your eyes peeled for. THANK YOU for your info :)

OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Top of the line snake-proof tent that can hold up to 50-mph wind; good non-metallic boots; snake quards; good hat; hand held GPS; Emergency communication device (Like S.P.O.T. or a Satellite Phone); A good double action revolver that will kill a snake or a wild pig; Beer. Lot's and lots of beer. :headbang:

Any preference on the snake guards? I am planning to get a S&W 686 w/ 4in barrel with 3 CCI shot shells and 3 semi jacketed hollow points. I figure that should cover the critters :) Beer dehydrates your body and makes your mouth dry. Squirt (grapefruit soda) is good hot or cold and is a great thirst quencher. Thanks for your info :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry's list is great so I will just add too; lite weight BDU pants(lots of pockets), lite weight long sleeve shirt, good pair of knee protectors(tactical ones best), BUFF UV neck/face gator(way better than sun block w/out the goo), a good day pack with large hydration bladder, small first aid kit with snake bite kit(yes they do work) and I also carry a Leatherman on my belt

I will google the Buff uv gator and see what it is (sounds great) sunblock is great for attracting dust LOL (face and neck camo :) ) I have a 1st gen leatherman from the 80's and I am lost without it. I am a strong believer in hydration, a bladder is a #1 item ( plus the bite kit ) on my list. Thanks for the info :)

OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Common sense and gun safety as without either your up a creek in the middle of the desert-John

I agree (hence the shot shells ( bird dust ) (ricochets )) Thank you for the info :)

OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
CCI shotshell.....Every snakes worst nightmare
LA traffic on a Friday evening......My worst nightmare!

I swear by them ! I was out with a friend, checking out a very old large scale drywasher. I flipped over a 2X8 piece of corrugated metal and found a nest of 5 Mojave Green's. I let them be because we were just checking out some old mining history and hadn't plan on staying. I covered them back up and we left. WHEW ! pissed pants dry real fast in the hot desert breeze LOL :)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any preference on the snake guards? I am planning to get a S&W 686 w/ 4in barrel with 3 CCI shot shells and 3 semi jacketed hollow points. I figure that should cover the critters :) Beer dehydrates your body and makes your mouth dry. Wink (grapefruit soda) is good hot or cold and is a great thirst quencher. Thanks for your info :)

Snake Guardz line of snake-proof chaps. These chaps have been rigorously tested by America's leading snake experts and are guaranteed snake-proof against all North American poisonous snakes. Snake Guardzā„¢ are manufactured with 1000 Denier Corduraā„¢ Nylon encasing polycarbonate inserts which stop the fangs of poisonous snakes. They weigh only 10-ounces and are impact tested by the United States Testing Laboratory to ASTM (test method F-1342-91). They stop a 12 gauge shotgun blast at 20 yards. The gun used in this testing was a Remington Model 11-87, 12 gauge, 28 inch barrel, full choke and 3-1-8 lead shot loads. The fabrics have 1-ounce of urethane applied to the inside surface for water resistance.

Snake Guardzā„¢ secure to the lower leg of the wearer with two 1 inch polyester straps and polyurethane quick release buckles. They have been designed to allow air to flow between the chap and the leg, providing cool and comfortable protection and unrestricted movement. They contain no metal, so they will not interfere with a metal detector. This product is ideal for prospectors, hunters, hikers, campers, fishermen, ranchers and surveyors. Snake Guardzā„¢ are backed by a lifetime warranty and are available in a Mossy Oak Break Up pattern.

* Guaranteed snake-proof leg protection
* The most well-known patented snake proof chap in America
* Lightweight 1000 Denier Corduraā„¢ Nylon
* Waterproof stay-dry with our polyurethane coating
* Excellent protection against briars and cactus
* Heavy duty, locking, non-corrosive, black buckles keep chaps held firmly in place

This is my snake, wild pig and mountain lion gun.

Attachments

• vfr 184.jpg
    vfr 184.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 1 or 2 day trips a good Ford F-150 4 wheller with a shell is your best friend . Overnite stays and a gear hauler is a must and Fords do this well .

Attachments

• 20140302_104110.jpg
    20140302_104110.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 100

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I swear by them ! I was out with a friend, checking out a very old large scale drywasher. I flipped over a 2X8 piece of corrugated metal and found a nest of 5 Mojave Green's. I let them be because we were just checking out some old mining history and hadn't plan on staying. I covered them back up and we left. WHEW ! pissed pants dry real fast in the hot desert breeze LOL :)

Yeah. It's usually not a good idea to be flipping large flat items over in the desert. Good way to loose body fluids when you get them scared out of you! At least you dried out fast. :thumbsup::laughing7:

OP
OP
Z

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Snake Guardz line of snake-proof chaps. These chaps have been rigorously tested by America's leading snake experts and are guaranteed snake-proof against all North American poisonous snakes. Snake Guardzā„¢ are manufactured with 1000 Denier Corduraā„¢ Nylon encasing polycarbonate inserts which stop the fangs of poisonous snakes. They weigh only 10-ounces and are impact tested by the United States Testing Laboratory to ASTM (test method F-1342-91). They stop a 12 gauge shotgun blast at 20 yards. The gun used in this testing was a Remington Model 11-87, 12 gauge, 28 inch barrel, full choke and 3-1-8 lead shot loads. The fabrics have 1-ounce of urethane applied to the inside surface for water resistance.

Snake Guardzā„¢ secure to the lower leg of the wearer with two 1 inch polyester straps and polyurethane quick release buckles. They have been designed to allow air to flow between the chap and the leg, providing cool and comfortable protection and unrestricted movement. They contain no metal, so they will not interfere with a metal detector. This product is ideal for prospectors, hunters, hikers, campers, fishermen, ranchers and surveyors. Snake Guardzā„¢ are backed by a lifetime warranty and are available in a Mossy Oak Break Up pattern.

* Guaranteed snake-proof leg protection
* The most well-known patented snake proof chap in America
* Lightweight 1000 Denier Corduraā„¢ Nylon
* Waterproof stay-dry with our polyurethane coating
* Excellent protection against briars and cactus
* Heavy duty, locking, non-corrosive, black buckles keep chaps held firmly in place

This is my snake, wild pig and mountain lion gun.

AWESOME !!! Thank You ! :)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing that I haven't seen listed here yet are maps and a GOOD compass! GPS is fine but batteries die (usually when ya need them most!) and a map as well as the ability to convert grid position to GPS cords if needed can save your life. Clay has a PDF copy of the Army Land Navigation Training Manual (FM 21-26) available here > Tools & Skills Library - Mapping & GPS Skills This is the manual I was trained by in the Army and it's a good one to have and refer to. Navigating in the desert is a bit different than many other areas and this covers it very well.

It doesn't matter WHERE you're prospecting or exploring, knowing land navigation can save your life!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread