Where to begin?

Evileyes

Dec 30, 2015
Glendora, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I was wondering if someone could point me into the right direction for detecting clubs in my area (Glendora, California) basically I would love to learn and go on some outings etc.. Nobody I know is interested in detecting. And I'm way to excited, and want to really try this out!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there a GPAA chapter in your area? That would be a place to start I'd think, then I'd ask them if they know of any local clubs or do an Internet search (if you haven't already) to see what pops up.

If I was in your neck of the woods, I'd take you out to chase a little sassy gold, but I'm located way too far north for that to happen.

All the best,

Lanny

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google it baby! Lot's of prospecting clubs in Cali. :occasion14:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a GPAA chapter in your area? That would be a place to start I'd think, then I'd ask them if they know of any local clubs or do an Internet search (if you haven't already) to see what pops up.

If I was in your neck of the woods, I'd take you out to chase a little sassy gold, but I'm located way too far north for that to happen.

All the best,

Lanny

find enough Lanny and we'll come up

OP
OP
E

Evileyes

Dec 30, 2015
Glendora, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Lanny and I appreciate the offer, bummer you're so far away!

I'm looking for a club that actually goes out on field trips, I had two weeks off from work, and I didn't get a chance to go... So bummed out! I'm about to go by myself somewhere!

Any current clubs out in the field on a trip I would love to join them! im talking going out for a few days! not just a few hours :)

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Where to begin? Well you've come to the right place Evileyes. I'd start with a two fold approach.

First, read through as many of the threads here as you can. You will find lots of tips and tricks that you can apply to your detecting. Use the posts to learn what works and doesn't work. Thee is no sense in re-inventing the wheel when you don't have to.

Second, set yourself up a "Detecting Garden" in a small kiddy pool. Place different items in it that can be picked up by your machine. This is a great way to learn how your machine reacts to different targets at different depths. A detector is like any other tool in that the better you know its abilities, the better you can use it.

One of the most important things for the new detectorist to learn is to be patient and not allow yourself to get discouraged. You've usually got to dig a lot of trash targets before you find your first gold so hang in there and it will come in time.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, nothing wrong with detecting by yourself. For sure it is more fun with a buddy (the right buddy). Good luck with it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply Lanny and I appreciate the offer, bummer you're so far away!

I'm looking for a club that actually goes out on field trips, I had two weeks off from work, and I didn't get a chance to go... So bummed out! I'm about to go by myself somewhere!

Any current clubs out in the field on a trip I would love to join them! im talking going out for a few days! not just a few hours :)

When you find a club in your area, from the experiences I've had with clubs, many of them do outings for a day, some for a few days, but the best thing will be the connections you make at the club outings as that's where you might find a couple of great people that would also like to head out with you on a longer outing.

All the best with your search,

Lanny

trsynsh

Oct 28, 2015
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Evileyes, welcome. Another newbie here, and only about an hour from you. If you're ever in need of some company, send me a PM, we'll stomp around and hopefully find some goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread