Tesoro Lobo ST

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just picked up a Tesoro Lobo ST because it was too good of a deal to pass up ($250.) I personally have never used one but thought it might be a good loaner for people who tag along with me, I know years ago Steve H. said that he had bought one for his dad because it was a very "forgiving" detector.

Anyone use one here in CA have some tips for me? How does it do with geology in the sierras? If it isn't well suited for CA I'll just get rid of it.

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser John swears by the Lobo, and Terry S. recommends it as well. So, I'd say that's some pretty high recommendation. As for whether it will handle the conditions or not, only one way to tell, get out there and swing it for a while and see what happens.

All the best,

Lanny

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use it in Normal mode, All Metal, and set your Sensitivity to between 6 - 7. In real narly ground be careful not to set the sensitivity too high, or the soil will mask deeper targets.

In Discrimination, no matter what level you use, the machine goes into a factory pre-set ground balance mode, and in my opinion loses 1/2"-2" in depth. Always use All Metal when nuggetshooting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little LST gold from Arizona.

Attachments

• TesoroGold 002.jpg
    TesoroGold 002.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 112
  • TesoroGold 003.jpg
    TesoroGold 003.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
AU_Solitude

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you use anything other than the stock coil?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low and slow, scrape that coil cover to death. Small coil is fantastic in heavy big boulders and heavy trashed out areas. It will talk to you in many different ways, first horizontal then front to back. Get good headphones made for detectors and the snap,crackle and pop ALL mean something. Every hour you spend learning will be rewarded admirably. That's with ALL units. Closet queens only gather dust and not oro puro. From the beaches of Kauai to the jungle in Costa Rica always a good unit. Posted a few pics of multiple outings ,on this forum this summer with friends and by myself, and always tote along my trusty GB2 ALWAYS. Good chest/belt mount lightens that unit and swing all day with no problems from weight. John

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No gold or meteorites yet with mine but a lot of magnetite, hematite, trash metal, bullets, nails, etc. I do need to remount the battery pack as the weight wears my arms out. Any suggestions as to what is best and least restrictive?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No gold or meteorites yet with mine but a lot of magnetite, hematite, trash metal, bullets, nails, etc. I do need to remount the battery pack as the weight wears my arms out. Any suggestions as to what is best and least restrictive?

Put the box on your belt. They also make a chest mount.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread