How Good is the New Minelab GPZ 7000?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• Chris Porter GPZ7000 10inches.jpg
    Chris Porter GPZ7000 10inches.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't imagine trying to use in Iron ground if that was 10" deep! Unless its got an amazing way of discriminating while allowing good targets through. Price you pay for that has to be worth it!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is astounding for 10"....Unless somebody has a honking large finger. The gold has great character and looks like a bunny to me. Way to go Chris.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In about 1987 I dug up a 14k gold pen,close to 20" down, on an California beach useing a Whites Eagle 2. Cost for the detector was about $750.00. My opinion is a Garetts AT Gold most likely may have detected the above dug nugget. Just because a detector has a larger control box,and more electronics tied together, and a cost of 10 -thousand $, does not equate to finding more gold than other detectors.Their are to many other factors that come in to play in finding any gold nuggetts peroid. I will be happy to sell anyone my Eagle 2 for lets say $5000./dollars.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In about 1987 I dug up a 14k gold pen,close to 20" down, on an California beach useing a Whites Eagle 2. Cost for the detector was about $750.00. My opinion is a Garetts AT Gold most likely may have detected the above dug nugget. Just because a detector has a larger control box,and more electronics tied together, and a cost of 10 -thousand $, does not equate to finding more gold than other detectors.Their are to many other factors that come in to play in finding any gold nuggetts peroid. I will be happy to sell anyone my Eagle 2 for lets say $5000./dollars.

In my humble opinion, you are simply kidding yourself. :occasion14:

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That nugget looks a little small for a VLF like an AT Gold to find at 10".
Australia, where JP is from, has extremely mineralized soil as well. A large part of the effectiveness of the GPZ 7000 comes from its ability to ground balance and nullify the effects of tough ground so you can hear those faint targets. Many kinds of detectors might have already swung over that nugget but if they weren't balanced properly the target tone would have never been able to punch through all the ground noise.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's incredible to find such a piece at that depth!

I have paid for several of my detectors now, and I'm almost done finding enough gold to pay for my GPX 5000, but holy jumpin' dynamite, they sure want a lot of money for that new machine. However, if I can believe what I've been told, it's easier to learn how to operate the 7000 as compared to the steep learning curve of the 5000.

I'd love to hear from some actual users to see what they have to say as well.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And if you think the 7000 is good, I wonder what the 7500 will do (and cost)? Not starting a rumor, because I know nothing. I suspect the next one will allow different coils and if I were to have a wish list, discrimination. Just dreaming.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This last season in WA my partner and I found many small nuggets at depths similar to what CP is showing in the picture. Many of the area's we toured had been heavily flogged over the years yet my partner and I managed to often find a little something that we felt only the Zed could see. Its my opinion that the Zed can be used like a 2300 with greater depth. However I did witness the 2300 pull 4 grams out of an area the Zed had worked over so alot of what one can get with the Zed or any machine depends on the operator. Bartville our gold.jpg

This bit of gold is from our best patch for the year and much of it was at depth. Pretty much all sub-gram and all from an area that had been hit previously by non-Zed users.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This last season in WA my partner and I found many small nuggets at depths similar to what JP is showing in the picture. Many of the area's we toured had been heavily flogged over the years yet my partner and I managed to often find a little something that we felt only the Zed could see. Its my opinion that the Zed can be used like a 2300 with greater depth. However I did witness the 2300 pull 4 grams out of an area the Zed had worked over so alot of what one can get with the Zed or any machine depends on the operator.

This bit of gold is from our best patch for the year and much of it was at depth. Pretty much all sub-gram and all from an area that had been hit previously by non-Zed users.

Thanks for the picture and the write-up. It's nice to have some feedback from someone out hitting a patch that's already been worked, and it's nice to see the gold that was left behind!

Thanks for your time, and Terry, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread