Metal Detecting Coastal Mountains

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My "turf" is the British Columbia coast via sail typically from north Vancouver Island to Rupert spring to fall.... vast wilderness of fjords and island archipelagos which I seem to have mostly to myself. Uncountable creeks both visible and many that disappear just before entering the ocean. Fresh water lakes tiny to big are numerous back in from the shore and up... aside which if ever trod a human footprint. So far, I have found no gold. Discussing this on a Canadian prospector forum I was told that the geology is not "right" for gold finding as BC coastal mountains are new and not eroded which placer likes. Comments appreciated...

Thanks...

Upvote 0

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never seen anything about placer in the coast mountains. I know there's been some lode mines in pretty rugged places in the Northern parts of the Coast range. I think there's something to the explanation you got, don't know if the rocks just don't hold much gold or what but if they do there's bound to be a ton of it distributed throughout glaciers and their dropped loads which will take time (think on a geologic scale) to concentrate into placers.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahoy mate.....welcome! Fair winds!

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
The BC coast is one of the most amazing places I've ever visited. Absolutely beautiful.

Beach gold placers are found on Graham island in the Queen Charlotte group. The mouth of Martell Creek, Bull Swamp and Masset Sound between Rooney and Crowell points and a small stream about a kilometer south of Crowell point were all profitably worked in the past. I have no idea re the legality of panning there now.

You might have better luck working the west coast of Vancouver Island. Beach placers were worked in Wreck Bay and some small gold and 1/4oz nuggets were found in the Nanaimo River on the east coast. There's more info here in this .pdf, see p. 16 for Vancouver Island. Good luck!

Notes on Placer Mining in British Columbia (1943 edition)

http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Mining/Ge...blications/Documents/NotesPlacerMinBC1943.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
seascene

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ianSF... good info and will follow up. China Creek near Alberni was another producer back in the late 1800's. Getting my rig ready to sail this spring....setting course for the north country Great Bear to Haida Gwaii just because of its wildness. Finding gold and seeking out other treasures from old shipwrecks keeps the fire stoked... good luck to you.

beamrider

Greenie
Feb 19, 2018
haida gwaii
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could switch gears and explore old whaling stations lighthouses. Towns and caneries etc for any old coins or relics they may have lost

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all I know is that when working coastal areas, one is required to wear a thong

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You'll certainly be sailing some gorgeous coastline, and I wish you good fortune on your quest to find some gold or treasure.

It sounds like a grand adventure, one rich with promise of opportunity as you'll never know until you go . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread