Original Fisher Gold Bug (the old one)

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everybody!
I have a chance to purchase an original Fisher Gold Bug for $175, in very good shape. I was hoping for some input from users. Is anyone still using one successfully? It seems like a good deal, I realize @ 19 kHz, it won't find the fly-poop sized gold that the Gold Bug 2 will, but I am only about 1.5 hours from some decent gold bearing sites in the desert. Rather than buying a new (read expensive) gold specific machine or using my Omega with the 5" DD, I could give this one a try & see if it will pay for itself, lol. I have had my Vaquero out nugget shooting, so I already have the 'dig-it-all' check GB every few feet mindset, so I'm not too worried about any disc options, auto GB, etc... Thanks all, for any input you may have. I believe this is THE best site for great info from experienced detectorists/treasure hunters. HH, Scott

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At that price, hell yes I'd buy it...just be sure it works. :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The key with the Original Goldbug, is ground balance. You REALLY have to stay on top of it and sweep S-L-O-W-L-Y. It will get you sub-gram gold if you listen hard and sweep S-L-O-W-Y. Big Nuggets! :skullflag:

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key with the Original Goldbug, is ground balance. You REALLY have to stay on top of it and sweep S-L-O-W-L-Y. It will get you sub-gram gold if you listen hard and sweep S-L-O-W-Y. Big Nuggets! :skullflag:

Thanks Terry, I will be bringing it with me to AZ. Maybe you can point me to the nugget patches? Haha!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Terry.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low and slow and do NOT forget to buy a coil cover as the new coils are NOT built tough like them oldie but goodies. GE door/window silicone bead around it to seal and the UV protection lasts for many years. Peels off for a new cover easily- With the GB always have a nugget glued to a chip to drop and recheck the ground balance, quick ez insurance as microwave repeaters, big base stations and changing ground conditions do change the units gb needs-lotsa luck-John

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low and slow and do NOT forget to buy a coil cover as the new coils are NOT built tough like them oldie but goodies. GE door/window silicone bead around it to seal and the UV protection lasts for many years. Peels off for a new cover easily- With the GB always have a nugget glued to a chip to drop and recheck the ground balance, quick ez insurance as microwave repeaters, big base stations and changing ground conditions do change the units gb needs-lotsa luck-John

Ok John, this is the first edition original Gold Bug. It is an oldie, but if there is no coil cover, I will get one & seal it. In the past I used a GMZ (not great) & a Vaquero (not optimal) to nugget shoot, it now feels like a have a fighting chance with God Bug. Thanks.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes that Hoser would know about coil covers, he has friends close by that go thru lots of coil covers and manzanita.
Best thing for a fightin chance to find gold is do some good research. If your on the gold, a detector from radio shack will find it. Look online for old digitalized arizona newspapers from 1800's till whenever. They list many places where nuggets were found. Then get some maps, and find these gold nugget areas and head out. Make sure its public land and unclaimed first. If you still dont have any luck, maybe joining a local club will help. They usually have places to go to detect gold. Once you find your first the confidence you get will set you on your path to success. Good luck

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that Hoser would know about coil covers, he has friends close by that go thru lots of coil covers and manzanita.
Best thing for a fightin chance to find gold is do some good research. If your on the gold, a detector from radio shack will find it. Look online for old digitalized arizona newspapers from 1800's till whenever. They list many places where nuggets were found. Then get some maps, and find these gold nugget areas and head out. Make sure its public land and unclaimed first. If you still dont have any luck, maybe joining a local club will help. They usually have places to go to detect gold. Once you find your first the confidence you get will set you on your path to success. Good luck

Thanks! I am talking to some about a trip to Randsberg. I would rather not use a Radio Shack machine, as the Gold Bug has a better reputation in high mineralization, lol. There are 4-5 gold old gold mines within about 10 miles from me, gonna head to one in a few, get some practice in the mineralized ground to get acquainted with the Bug, see if I can find some tiny lead, etc...

cutchey22

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all I no it's an old post has anyone got a coil for the gold bug original or coil cover please

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought both of the older Gold Bugs were 71khz? I know the newer, what they call a Gold Bug, or Gold bug Pro is 19Khz.
Jim

cutchey22

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the gold bug original not 19something and gb2 coil do not fit the original gb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread