I got the Bug! (Fisher Gold Bug)

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up the Gold Bug (with 10" elliptical) yesterday for $175. It came with all original paperwork (from 1993) the book "Advanced Nugget shooting with the Gold Bug" an iron discrimination device (damn strong magnet) and a cheap pair of Sony headphones. I need to pick up a pair of some good ones. The guy selling it had a tiny piece of #8 or #9 buckshot and some small nuggets on poker chips to test it with, I put the coarse GB knob on 5 and did a quick air test. It seemed to hit about 3" on the tiny shot with a good "zip" still, sens about 3/4 of max. As Hoser John said, I will be sealing the coil cover on (it did come with one) with silicone. All the controls function as they should and it was soooo easy to get a smooth, stable GB in my backyard. I plan to hit an old gold mine with some hot ground and do some testing today, to see if I can dig some tiny bits of whatever! Getting excited to get out in the desert & try her out in some actual nugget bearing areas. My buddy got skunked over 40 times out in the low desert here, I am hoping (obviously) to have better luck. I saw a guy on a site the other day who pulled 5 little nuggets on his first trip out with an MXT! As californiagold said, it's all about the research, I have a few spots in mind, but will probably joining a club that has access to some good claims.

Attachments

• Gold Bug.jpg
    Gold Bug.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The controls look nice and clean. Hope you have fun and success with it. Those detectors are responsible for finding quite a few nuggets over the years.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The controls look nice and clean. Hope you have fun and success with it. Those detectors are responsible for finding quite a few nuggets over the years.
Thanks! Hope to get out soon & get some gold in my poke (first I need to get a poke).

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great buy. Good luck . Looks like you have a few already.
Thanks. Actually I have owned a few, I currently own the Teknetics Omega 8000, and now the Gold Bug. I like to try different machines, but don't see the need to have more than 2-3 for the hunting I like to do.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the best as you get out there, and I hope you enjoy the "new to you" machine. It's always fun trying out a new machine and learning its subtleties.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lanny, I plan to get out to the low desert next week & start my search for the yellow! Many nuggets have been found in this area, but a lot of guys are running PI machines at this point to get the bigger deeper nuggets. They are still finding nuggets with the VLF's there too though!
All the best as you get out there, and I hope you enjoy the "new to you" machine. It's always fun trying out a new machine and learning its subtleties.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread