Gold Bug 2 or Minelab SD 2200 best for small nugget detecting?

Postman_907

Feb 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings! I'm new here and this may not be the right section for me to pose the question but here goes: I live on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska and there are areas all around us where detectorists find very small gold nuggets. One pal of mine uses a Gold Bug 2 and gets great results. A friend of mine is selling his Minelab SD 2200 for about the same amount of money as I'd pay for a Gold Bug 2. Is the Minelab Sd 2200 better suited for detecting small nuggets?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie!

Eric

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved to Metal Detecting For Gold forum.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings! I'm new here and this may not be the right section for me to pose the question but here goes: I live on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska and there are areas all around us where detectorists find very small gold nuggets. One pal of mine uses a Gold Bug 2 and gets great results. A friend of mine is selling his Minelab SD 2200 for about the same amount of money as I'd pay for a Gold Bug 2. Is the Minelab Sd 2200 better suited for detecting small nuggets?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie!

Eric

Get the Minelab. You MIGHT miss a couple REALLY small ones, but you'll get MORE gold with the Minelab!

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Gold Bug 2 is a fantastic VLF machine that should be at the top of anyone's list, but it's not great in areas high in iron mineralization. Definitely read as much as you can on the differences between pulse induction and VLF detectors before pulling the trigger. Your choice depends a lot on how and where you plan to use the machine.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The easy answer is both. The thing is the 2200 is an older machine, but it still works. Since your friend has a GBII, you know it works in your area and you have somebody who can show you how to be successful. Good luck with your decision.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
When Steve Herschbach was still up here & running AMD he sold me on the GB2 for detecting our area & I have not regretted my purchase. I'm on my phone so I don't have the web address but he has a site where he reviews & recommends detectors. He probably has as much experience as anyone in our area.

Last edited:

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When Steve Herschbach was still up here & running AMD he sold me on the GB2 for detecting our area & I have not regretted my purchase. I'm on my phone so I don't have the web address but he has a site where he reviews & recommends detectors. He probably has as much experience as anyone in our area.

He has a lot of info on his site. I just goggled his name and it came up. Don't know if I can post a link or not. Anyway good info!

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I've read Alaska is not super mineralized like other places such as Alaska or Arizona. A VLF like the GBII will do ok. However those machines do not have a lot of depth.
The SD2200 probably won't be great on small gold, unless there's smaller aftermarket coils available for it. Generally, when you're hunting with a Minelab you're looking for the bigger, deeper nuggets VLF machines in the past missed. These big nuggets are few and far between tho, you might go a year without finding anything. Kinda just depends on what style of hunting you're interested in.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got a Gold Bug 2 with the 6.5 inch coil for finding those tiny nuggets in my area. those PI machines are amazing with deeper larger nuggets. the ML 2300 is supposed to do well with small nuggets, but the $3,700.00 price tag is way out of my financial league. So I got a great deal (with 30 mins of haggling) for my GB 2 :)

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got a Gold Bug 2 with the 6.5 inch coil for finding those tiny nuggets in my area. those PI machines are amazing with deeper larger nuggets. the ML 2300 is supposed to do well with small nuggets, but the $3,700.00 price tag is way out of my financial league. So I got a great deal (with 30 mins of haggling) for my GB 2 :)

If you just call the vendor up and talk to them you'd be surprised on the deals and packages you can get. They can't list the price on their website because they could lose Minelab as a supplier but over the phone they'll usually give you a better price.
(Link removed by mod, non-supporting vendor)

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions