Makro Gold Racer & the old channel.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• 1458449263966.jpg
    1458449263966.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 1458449293652.jpg
    1458449293652.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 1458449322749.jpg
    1458449322749.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 1458449350173.jpg
    1458449350173.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern California

Keep posting these pics of nice nuggets and I think I may have to head south and get to know your part of the state. Appears to still be un-detected ground for those willing to research and bust brush.

I am curious, have you found it beneficial to use ground tracking all the time in all-metal mode like the manual suggests?

When detecting disturbed earth, with lots of softball size and larger wash rocks, I have found that it runs much more consistent with the tracking turned off.

When detecting undisturbed ground, with relatively consistently mineralization, the tracking feature seems to reduce "noise" due to uneven ground, buried sticks, clay pockets, ect.
It also takes the edge off the signal the hot rocks give.

Hello,
I headed back out to my old channel diggings with Gold Racer to try some new area. The gold was pretty sporadic. No place turned into a good patch. Gold Racer operated really good and found over 6 dwt. I will have to try the area again soon to try to get a good patch going.

OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Imaudigger, I usually detect with tracking off. I like to hear all noises and when the detector loses balance. I have tried tracking here and there, but I still like to keep it off most of the time. Good luck

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GR

I was leaning towards leaving it off all the time, but I have only gone through a couple sets of batteries.

Have you tired the concentric coil yet? I spent 15 minutes playing around with it.
It definitely picked up on the birdshot better than the DD coil in all metal. It also had it's gremlins to deal with.

If we continue to get along, I will probably end up getting the GR40 (15.5" x 13" elliptical) coil for hunting float gold.
At $250...I'd like to get some feedback first.

Hey Imaudigger, I usually detect with tracking off. I like to hear all noises and when the detector loses balance. I have tried tracking here and there, but I still like to keep it off most of the time. Good luck

OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well the tracking can be a personal choice. If it works better for anyone then they should use it when they want. The concentric coil is good, I haven't used mine a whole lot yet. I have been scout detecting alot lately trying to get a good lasting patch going so ive been using the dd. The concentric works really good if you go real slow. And you have to have shorter overlaps of the sweep. I have the big 15" coil too but I really only tried it at a couple really hot places. It picked up too much minerals at once and was a little noisy. But it was a really bad spot for strong mineralization. I tried it at my house with my soil ground balancing at 78-80 and 3-4 bars on the mineral reading and it ran really good. It doesn't like really wet ground either. Once the grass dries out after couple hours it runs better. I didnt try it in any of the disc modes though. I will try it some more for some patch hunting and I will let you know how it did. Good luck

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GR40 Coil

I'd sure appreciate any feedback you could give on that largest coil.
When scanning the hillsides for float gold around here (Northern California), the ground is usually pretty mild as far as mineralization goes.
A large coil is nice, in that it covers so much more ground in less time. The PI's with the huge coils are pretty heavy and awkward on steep rugged terrain.

Was able to find a couple hours to do some detecting on Sunday while the weather was good.
Took home a small placer nugget, the size of a watermelon seed before the cold wind started blowing.

Well the tracking can be a personal choice. If it works better for anyone then they should use it when they want. The concentric coil is good, I haven't used mine a whole lot yet. I have been scout detecting alot lately trying to get a good lasting patch going so ive been using the dd. The concentric works really good if you go real slow. And you have to have shorter overlaps of the sweep. I have the big 15" coil too but I really only tried it at a couple really hot places. It picked up too much minerals at once and was a little noisy. But it was a really bad spot for strong mineralization. I tried it at my house with my soil ground balancing at 78-80 and 3-4 bars on the mineral reading and it ran really good. It doesn't like really wet ground either. Once the grass dries out after couple hours it runs better. I didnt try it in any of the disc modes though. I will try it some more for some patch hunting and I will let you know how it did. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread