Makro Gold Racer & the old channel.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• 1458449263966.jpg
    1458449263966.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 1458449293652.jpg
    1458449293652.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 1458449322749.jpg
    1458449322749.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 1458449350173.jpg
    1458449350173.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting to buy a makro gold racer when they come out with the wireless headphones . I can't stand being tied to the detector , Just a peeve of mine . Dumb I know !!!!

OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the comments. I know what your sayin Moto. I use my gpx 5000 without a harness. I dont like being tied to it.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity, did you happen to record depth vs. weight numbers...or at least have ballpark figures? Weak tones, strong tones, that sort of thing?

OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is some that are real shallow. But I get alot of gold at the fringe of detection. Gold racer is a little louder on these than fors plus. I usually use all metal mode, but I found using disc 2 with imask turned down to 0 really gets some great depth. It will give a target id when all metal mode wont at that depth. This setting of imask at 0 does make the ground noise more, but there is alot of places that I can run it real smooth. I think it is the best depth with target ids for the gold racer. I also try to turn up my sensitivity as far as I can in disc 2. Some places I run all metal, but the threshold blanks out so I add some isat to it. It is suppose to lose depth the more isat you use. But I havent really notice any if at all. Good luck

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should've been more specific...not settings on the detector, but weight of the nuggets vs. the depth that they were detected? When you say, "fringe of detection," is that...what...maybe 4-5" on a 1 gram piece? 7-8" on a 3 gram nugget?

OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey bc. I guess I didn't know what you meant. Well depth of detection of a same size piece of gold depends on mineralization. In mild soil you definitely get more depth then bad soil. I havent measured how deep they are when I detect them at the fringe of detection. But you probably find a 1 dwt piece at 7-8 " in all metal. And 8-9" inches in disc 2 with imask on 0 if you can . With sensitivity turned up as far as you can. To me the gold racer is louder on fringe targets then any vlf that I have used in the past.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Caligold,

I'm lovin' your comments on the Gold Racer. I guess I'd better start saving my pennies as I'm always open to a stable-mate for my other detectors if I like what I'm reading from real nugget shooters in the field.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I lived a little closer, I would let you take it out and try it. But I could let Hoser try it, then he could let you know how he liked it. I let him try out the original Fors gold. He found some gold and liked it alot. I had a hard time getting it back from him. J/k.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering If you subscribe to the belief that running the coil wire in a straight line up the lower shaft on your detector before you coil it around the upper shaft gives you more depth due to allowing you to run more sensitivity than if you started coiling the wire up the lower shaft?

It has always worked for me on my detectors but wondering what results others have had.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guy, I have only 2 wraps from the coil up to almost the control box on gold racer. Then I wrap all the rest just below control box before connecting into coil receptacle. I always make sure it is straight as possible going in the receptacle. No bends. If I have to I put a piece of electrical tape to hold it straight. Good luck

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy, I have only 2 wraps from the coil up to almost the control box on gold racer. Then I wrap all the rest just below control box before connecting into coil receptacle. I always make sure it is straight as possible going in the receptacle. No bends. If I have to I put a piece of electrical tape to hold it straight. Good luck

Just wondering why you think this is helpful , I under stand magnetic fields etc , but aren't the cable shielded ?

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
in construction, a good electrician knows to keep power lines away from data lines due to interference. the same could apply to the detector. limit the amount of cable in the interference zone.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering why you think this is helpful , I under stand magnetic fields etc , but aren't the cable shielded ?

There is metal inside the cable. The coil can pick up the wires and the metal mesh shielding when the sensitivity is cranked up. That's why the less cable near the coil the more you can increase the sensitivity with out feedback. (try it and see)

Feedback and falseing is the reason why the bolt that attaches the coil to the lower leg is made of nylon and the lower leg of the detector is not metal.

It's nit picking for sure but even a sleight increase in coil sensitivity is worth the effort of running the coil wire so that less of it is near the coil.

swinger@.gif
GG~

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is metal inside the cable. The coil can pick up the wires and the metal mesh shielding when the sensitivity is cranked up. That's why the less cable near the coil the more you can increase the sensitivity with out feedback. (try it and see)

Feedback and falseing is the reason why the bolt that attaches the coil to the lower leg is made of nylon and the lower leg of the detector is not metal.

It's nit picking for sure but even a sleight increase in coil sensitivity is worth the effort of running the coil wire so that less of it is near the coil.

View attachment 1288599
GG~

I worked in electronics and went to college for it . We had some options to control the magnetic interferience . I had thought over the last 35 years they would have cured the problem by now .

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just wondering If you subscribe to the belief that running the coil wire in a straight line up the lower shaft on your detector before you coil it around the upper shaft gives you more depth due to allowing you to run more sensitivity than if you started coiling the wire up the lower shaft?

It has always worked for me on my detectors but wondering what results others have had.

GG~

I recently asked a factory rep from Tesoro about the cable and they recommend to keep a straight run on the cable above the coil before winding the slack up on the upper part of the shaft as you described. If I remember right he said that loose cabling wobbling near the coil will cause interference so just leave enough slack in the straight run to allow some pivoting of the coil. My conversation related more on how to handle the cable rather than technicalities but I presume any detector will perform better with his recommendation.

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would think after 30 years , shielding would have been figured out . I guess electronic shielding has'nt moved ahead as fast as the rest of electronics , thats a shame really . Something that should be simple still eludes us . You would think that by now they would have tried lead shielding or something . maybe an intermitent magnetic shielding .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions