best way to clean small gold nuggets and flakes

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Much like cleaning coins, cleaning nuggets and flakes takes away their character. I'd leave it, myself.

If they're really nasty and encrusted you might wanna shine them up some with a tumble, but leave the black down in the cracks and crevices. You be surprised at how bland a perfectly clean nugget looks!

Check these out- the one in the center has character, the others are blah..... The difference is pretty striking when you actually looking at them, not a scan.

Attachments

• nugs.jpg
    nugs.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4,107

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Of course, there are some really nasty ones, like this one black nugget.jpg

I have tried several types of acids with no effect. About the only way, and I haven't done it yet, would be to tumble with some good size rocks.

Attachments

• black nugget.jpg
    black nugget.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 8,058

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
49erjohn said:
what is the best way to clean small nuggets and flakes? especially the black in crevices and holes with out loosing metal from small flakes.
thanks for your help. 49erjohn

Hi 49erjohn;

Read what it says about 3/4 of the way down this page under the section titled: "Things That You Can Use Acids and Bases For": http://www.prospectorsparadise.com/html/acids.html
And further down the same page read; "Dealing with black sand".

Actually you should read everything on that website if you get serious about placer, or hard rock mining and want to have high purity gold to sell. But, if you just want to stick to nugget hunting, then all the basics of the chemistry involved, are covered on that website.

Finding a chemical supplier that is willing to sell the things like beakers and test tubes, etc isn't all that hard, but getting the chemicals might be more difficult depending on where your located. Some of the acids are easily obtained in small quantities, from places like: www.wholesale-scales.com
And muriatic acid (aka: dilute (50%) hydrochloric acid), and other chemicals, can be found at most hardware stores.

F.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
I agree with Jeffro. Natural nuggets are a lot nicer looking in my opinion. Then again, that second pic of his is pretty crusty...

What the heck is on that nugget? Is it even on it, or is it actually some crusty bit of the matrix the nugget originally came from?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I can't quite say for sure... I assume it's the matrix it came from. No acid even bubbles on it. Almost threw it out with my screenings, but I panned them down and this one acted funny in the pan. I actually had it in my fingers, ready to flick it when I noticed a dull glimmer of gold! ;)

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Heck, I'd take it. Ugly duckling and all... :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bleach-sodium hypochlorite-will remove iron oxides quite well. Then straight ammonia works quite well with a overnight soak. Otherwise you can also give them a hour in a tumbler for a real shine and polish.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Jeffro said:
Of course, there are some really nasty ones, like this one

I have tried several types of acids with no effect. About the only way, and I haven't done it yet, would be to tumble with some good size rocks.
have you tried some good old olive oil?
Rob

RTP

Greenie
Aug 24, 2007
Mojave Desert
Detector(s) used
Anything White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put them in a 35mm film container with a little heavy duty toilet bowl cleaner. Shake them real well, and then rinse with water. After you think they are clean enough, put them back in the film container with water and a little liquid dish detergent and shake real good again. Rinse one more time and they should look really good. If you don’t want to do all that, you can use an ultrasonic cleaner with some jewelry cleaner. This will clean all the dirt and whatever out of all the little nooks and crannies.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
A drop of nitric acid will do a pretty good job of removing stuff, but personally, I like 'em au natural!

B
Nitric acid if you can get it!!!

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I put salt and vinegar in a small bottle and shake it. That’s all the cleaning that I do…You can put them in a pyrex bowl and put them on the stove at low heat and they will look richer...Art

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have trouble finding chemicals or smelting & assaying supplies etc try A&B prospecting in Mesa Arizona 480-832-4524 Really helpful folks.

Muriatic acid can be found at your pool supply or even grocery stores. Red Devil lye will take some crusts off, or a product called oil eater in an uktra sonic cleaner. Sounds weird, but oil eater will clean hard water and cretian from coins that have been in water.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the prospectors I Know use limeaway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread