All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hi Burrows ,.. Great thread , and some sound advice here ! I'd like to add my bit to it ,.. now , I still hunt only with my G.M. II & V-sat ,. and I should take some of the sound advice here and move on up to the G.M.T. ,. but probably won't? O.K. ,. like to expand on the plastic scoop ,. get 2 ,. then get the target/ signal into one of 'em ,. check the hole ,. pour half of that scoop into the other,. run BOTH scoops over your coil ,. pour the non=signal into a small pile away from the hole,.. repeat as necessary ,. positive elimination is the name of the game ,. is quick ,. and mov'n on,.. Oh ,. with a boot ,. give the dig a quick reclamation . Headphones ,. Koss UR-30 ,. thay just enhance these G.M.'s O.K. the signals ,. in general ,. gold will give you half the signal that similar size piece of lead will ,. over time your going to get really good at calling them ,. e.g. that's a .22 , that's a#8 ,. that's a bit of copper jacket ,. casing ,. etc. the latter two ,. will be due to the signal "peak" ,. you'll see . but ,. dig 'em all ! This "peak" I'm try'n to describe,. well,. if lead gives the true Zip-Zip ,. gold is bit "wider" more like Vip-vip ,. closer to a small hot-rock's Wip-Wip ,. there are a few games you can play with hot-rocks ,.but ,. dig 'em all Settings ,. Now,. here's a topic I'd like to hear from some other's opinion's on . I for the most part here in So cal. hunt with my power@ about 3-4 ,. moving up to 5-6 on occasion . Now ,. I bought my G.M.II new ,.. so I believe ,.I got into the habit [good/bad ?] of using these "lower" power settings early on ,. Now,. with the V-sat , I more often then not hunt with the V-sat off or maybe just clicking it on ,.. on bad ground I'd sooner hunt with power @ 3-4 and the V-sat @ 9:00 -!0:00[25% -35%] then say ,. power @ 5-6 and V-sat @ 50 % +,. maybe a very bad habit of mine ,. but hay I know I have a few others ,. so It's not alone ,.. Good hunt'n there Burrows ,.. Blindpig

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the GMT I try to keep the Gain up high and keep the SAT as low as possible cranking up the SAT takes away depth So you need to sneak up on the SAT, If you have to run the SAT over 7 then you are better off lowering the Gain instead of raising the SAT because the depth loss by lowering the Gain is less than Turning up the SAT, All you want to do is maintain a good threshold so be Gentle with the SAT speed

many people talk about their GM IIs etc saying they are better and pick up real tiny Gold and they are very good as old as they are, But in the places you can run your GM II if you put the GM IIs coil on the GMT you will have a very Savage machine indeed even more so than the GM II again I can't impress how good that coil is on the GMT.

John

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The V-SAT along with the other features of the GMT make it an amazing detector that few other VLF's can equal. A lot of new users think it's too complex, but you can set it to the recommended settings in one minute be detecting. The better you understand the controls, and their interconnect ability, will allow you to take the GMT into places and conditions that other VLF's will not operate in as well.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V-SAT along with the other features of the GMT make it an amazing detector that few other VLF's can equal. A lot of new users think it's too complex, but you can set it to the recommended settings in one minute be detecting. The better you understand the controls, and their interconnect ability, will allow you to take the GMT into places and conditions that other VLF's will not operate in as well.

I agree, I have never understood why people say the MXT and the GMT are hard to learn, I was finding Gold Rings etc with mine on the 2nd day out with the MXT, I cheated and used the relic mode, I don't think I would ever sell that Longscan Coil I also have an old 8x14 Longscan coil which is white in colour where as the DDs are Black, I know airtests are of little value but that 6x10 Longscan air tested the same depths as the 8x14 but the 8x 14 could not see the real Tiny bits, But the 6x10 will find bits that any sane person would normally use a Pan to find, The increase in depth and the size of the Bits it sees is Obscene, lol

Take care,, John

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree, I have never understood why people say the MXT and the GMT are hard to learn, I was finding Gold Rings etc with mine on the 2nd day out with the MXT, I cheated and used the relic mode, I don't think I would ever sell that Longscan Coil I also have an old 8x14 Longscan coil which is white in colour where as the DDs are Black, I know airtests are of little value but that 6x10 Longscan air tested the same depths as the 8x14 but the 8x 14 could not see the real Tiny bits, But the 6x10 will find bits that any sane person would normally use a Pan to find, The increase in depth and the size of the Bits it sees is Obscene, lol

Take care,, John

I never knew that the old Gold Master coils were concentric, I think that I'm going to make the trip out my semi-local metal detector store and see if they have and of those laying around in stock. Right now the everybody's swooning over the Gold Bug Pro, and those Belgium made detectors, so I might get one at a decent price.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never knew that the old Gold Master coils were concentric, I think that I'm going to make the trip out my semi-local metal detector store and see if they have and of those laying around in stock. Right now the everybody's swooning over the Gold Bug Pro, and those Belgium made detectors, so I might get one at a decent price.

Seriously fitting that Longscan on my GMT is the biggest Transformation I have ever seen on any detector, Where you see the most the most difference is when it comes to small Gold it will see the bits a 2 even 3 times the distance the standard Twin D coils does, One of my test bits is about the size of a Flake of Glitter and the Twin D saw it at an inch and the Longscan saw it between 2 to 3 inches.

john

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seriously fitting that Longscan on my GMT is the biggest Transformation I have ever seen on any detector, Where you see the most the most difference is when it comes to small Gold it will see the bits a 2 even 3 times the distance the standard Twin D coils does, One of my test bits is about the size of a Flake of Glitter and the Twin D saw it at an inch and the Longscan saw it between 2 to 3 inches.

john

Big nuggets are few and far between here in Colorado. All the gold is flour, flakes, or tiny nuggets, so a concentric coil ought to help break me out of my nugget slump. I've been doing a lot of sluicing lately to get my gold fix.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big nuggets are few and far between here in Colorado. All the gold is flour, flakes, or tiny nuggets, so a concentric coil ought to help break me out of my nugget slump. I've been doing a lot of sluicing lately to get my gold fix.

Well in those photos is my test piece and a Grain of sugar and that is the piece it saw at 2 to 3 inches so if you are Sluicing Gold around that size then if you have a GMT you will be able to follow the Black sand to find the deposits and find the Tiny bits too. And don't forget to grab a coil cover because they are the same as the cover on the GMT as standard.

Hope this helps,,, John

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

White's still makes the 6x10 concentric for the Goldmaster, problem is its only for export to Africa, can you believe that BS? I've called twice, was very direct and they said we'l get back to you...........crickets. No wonder that company is so spun out. The more people that call Sweet Home and Bl#ch the more likely they just might remember what country their still in.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's still makes the 6x10 concentric for the Goldmaster, problem is its only for export to Africa, can you believe that BS? I've called twice, was very direct and they said we'l get back to you...........crickets. No wonder that company is so spun out. The more people that call Sweet Home and Bl#ch the more likely they just might remember what country their still in.

I got mine unused on Ebay from the US for about $65.00 but the freight and import duties was the killer even so it is well worth because my machine behaves like it has a Turbo fitted.

John

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Whites has never really been great with public relations. I don't really see a problem with making a coil that they already manufacture, available everywhere.

Last edited:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites has never really been great with public relations. I don't really see a problem with making a coil that they already manufacture, available everywhere.
That's why you need to send in a PM to SHoward over at whites, I am sure he might be able to help out, I did the same thing about the TDI pro and he sorted that out, so give him a go and see what happens, I can't hurt?

John

Last edited:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing that is important that I forget to tell you is I used a large magnetic sign to set the GB and on the GMT using the Twin D coil I got readings from 79 to 81, But when I put the Longscan coil on the GMT I get GB readings of 64 to 66, Which to me tells me that I have more GB adjustment left as the ground gets hotter, Which means this coil can handle the hotter ground better than the Twin D (DD) or as good as,

So heres a Recap of what this coil will do for you.

1) It see's smaller Items/Nuggets
2) On smaller Nuggets it will go deeper
3) it pin points better
4) On smaller Nuggets it will give you more than 50% more Depth,
5) On Small Nuggets the signals are sharper,
6) And it will lower your Ground balance setting by 20% giving you more
In reserve for when the Ground Hots up.

All in all I see this coil is a huge benefit or addition to the GMT, With a trained ear you will notice all of these things, and I sat it down next to a tape measure so I could see the difference, I used a test bit weighing less than 0.001 OZT but 0.001 was where the scales settled to and that took a few moments for it to register and the signal I got at 2" to 2 and a half inches with the Twin D, I got at 3 and a half to 4"? with the Longscan GM II Coil.

Anyways I hope this explains it all in a Nut shell,

Good luck,, John

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Burrows

Mar 1, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Whites V Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey my friends, I haven't been on the site for a little while. I need to catch up. I've recently applied for a facilities maintenance technician job and I have an interview coming up. I've been learning everything I can. This is a entry level position and I believe I have a great shot. So thank you all for the continued postings as they are worth every bit of gold in California.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Welcome, and Good luck with the Job fingers crossed,

Stay Lucky,, john

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a spec that I found with my 95 Vsat. It was in a basin above a culvert. Also found some gold in a creek along with a load of lead. Can't find that pic right now. Mine was missing a door cover and I made my own out of a piece of roof flashing I got at home depot for 79 cents and a couple of screws. I don't use it often enough but enjoy it when I do.

IMG_3310.JPG

OP
OP
B

Burrows

Mar 1, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Whites V Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I didn't get the facilities tec position but I did get a promotion the same week. I've been doing very well and Now time to get into the field again. Gold awaits. I've also started stacking up a bit of sliver in coin. Stay Golden

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread