May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was detecting with the Nokta ForesCore. Weighs 3.9 grams. :hello2: EDIT ADDED 4-16-16 I can't delete this post and I feel so stupid but after taking this to a few places the consensus is that it's just a ''jewelery nugget''. It's not solid gold. That spot in the middle is where the loop was attached so it could hang on a necklace. It tested 14k plated. Man the weight of these little thing and seeing gold plus I found it 3/4 mi. from an old gold mine I thought for sure it was real. everyone who gave a like and seen this my apologies! In my excitement I posted to fast in the future I will for sure wait until all the tested is done. Man what are the odds lol IDK they even made nugget charms. lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is encouraging! There was a large nugget found on the mountain behind me, but I've panned my streams a number of times and have yet to show color. I'd been thinking about using a metal detector in my streams but hadn't yet. Hmmmm.....

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful find!! Good work bud!

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posting for the EDIT on top, egg on my face

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wouldn't lose any sleep over the mistake. It isn't the first time somebody miss-ID'd something, and it won't be the last. Obviously you know how to use your detector, and any luck at all, the next one will be solid gold.
Jim

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't lose any sleep over the mistake. It isn't the first time somebody miss-ID'd something, and it won't be the last. Obviously you know how to use your detector, and any luck at all, the next one will be solid gold.
Jim
Thanks for the encouraging words bud, much appreciated. Yep it's between 14k-18k. I went to several places and when they tested it on that little black block that looked like a chalk board and it tested between 14k-18k. They made multiple lines and by the 4th or 5th line depending on who did the testing, it was leaving a red streak which the folks said means it was not solid gold. The streaks they put that liquid on said it was definitely 14k as it took the last liquid a long time to dissolve it which was to test for 18k. so it's somewhere in the middle. Man just with the gold plating made it really heavy for its size. That is what got me the worst. lol
Yep where I was detecting was a park 3/4 mi. from an old gold mine in Catawba CO. NC. They were bulldozing a stretch where I guess they were expanding the park so I figured let me see if they pushed up any old coins since they dug down 4ft. of over burden and in 8'' down in the red clay I found it. As I was digging the target there was quartz gravels in with the clay as I was digging it up. With all those factors I thought for sure it was real. haha. Guess when your mind thinks it's something you want it to be a little bit of rationality goes out the window.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL...I remember, back in the high-priced fur days, I'd be out calling coyotes, and of course I really wanted them to show up....each one was worth a day's wages back then. It always amazed me how many different things looked like a coyote when my brain wanted to see one so bad....Ha!
Checking the bulldozed strip is a very good plan. That's done in Nevada quite a bit. Guys with claims will detect the whole thing, and then scrape off about 12" and detect it again, and repeat.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions