Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Fred... outstanding silver nuggets and ores, beautiful material in your photo above. We had a very enjoyable trip last autumn, found some good silver with an MXT and F75 equipped with 10” elliptical coils in an area replete with iron waste.

The sunshine and warm temps in south / central Ontario won't apply to the same extent in silver country. I haven’t followed the weather there but did check the 7-day forecast prior to posting here. It looks mostly like mild single-digit temps for the coming week. There may still be snow covering frozen ground. Looks like Placergold is keen on a spring trip too... possibly Cryptic or someone else from the area will comment on the conditions. Good luck if you decide to head north this spring. 8-)

Jim.

SILVER HERITAGE TRAIL.JPG

ABANDONED CAMP  SF15GGRNO.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
trainermick

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Great pictures as usual Jim. I sent Sheldon a message. Not sure if he got it or not but I will give him a call if I don't hear back. I also use my trusty F75 and have been pretty lucky. Here are a few more chunky pieces.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    733 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    783.9 KB · Views: 160
OP
OP
trainermick

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Hey GordonQuixote, I tried to put a little of everything in there including in matrix but the majority are nuggets, plate and leaf along with a few pieces of float.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice specimens!

My dog Daisy and I are heading up there this weekend. Looking like it is below seasonal temperatures forecast right now. Snow on Saturday, high of -4 on Sunday. My guess is it is a bit premature for detecting, but I have booked my vacation and will take it. Daisy won't mind. LOL

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if a picture is worth a thousand words, a couple of short videos says it all...still a bit early to be prospecting in Northern Ontario. It is opening up, but the frozen ground, ice on the lakes and snow in the woods definitively limits you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trainermick

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Just got back after a couple of days in Cobalt. Found a spot at a mine site near the tree line where I got multiple signals on my f75. Dug out close to 30 lbs of specimens. Going to clean and slice them up this week.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job! I hope you post some pictures. The last couple of times I was there, I was getting very little and would then find a small patch with good silver and make up for the earlier skunk. There are a couple of these spots that I intend to dig down to see what else might be there - - at least that is the plan while I am comfy at home and full of energy. LOL

OP
OP
trainermick

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
I came across the spot at Beaveralong the tree line just the other side of the foundations. I spent several hours there with little to show and then found a small piece of Nickeline next to a tree. Digging further down and in an area about 4ft square, I found the stash. The quality of the silver isn't that great but a few are dendredic and the others have some nice veins running through them. Most were fist size and smaller. I will take some pics tomorrow and put them on.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go! I have been known to quickly give up at that mine, because of the overwhelming amount of junk. Good for you sticking it out and having success.

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful photo of great silver!

Was up there for 2 nights this fall, didn't find much but had great fun. I really need to spend a solid week or two up there.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking raw natural silver! Just like gold it's more appealing in it's natural form! At least for me. I'm going to have to hunt down some specimens at some point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread