Falcon MD20

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not recommend the falcon md20..................
the one I looked at was less than impressive, on a number of things.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to find gold get a good gold detector, MD20 is not one...

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it isn't a gold hunting detector. its a detector designed to find very small gold and gold in ore. and they do work very well for that. the falcon can detect gold in ore that can not be seen by the naked eye.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From my own experience, I would not recommend a Falcon. It works as designed, but is not an effective way to find gold unless you are looking in a very small spot (like a gold pan, crevice or a single rock). A better bet if one wants to search for gold placer or lode is a regular metal detector designed for gold.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 7.5khz LCD detector with distinction settings, a 300khz pointer, and a smaller handheld probe pointer. I will be checking exposed rock that contains ore, an ancient streambed on a hillside, and some ground formation at the base of a large hill next month. I did not have any equipment on my first trip to Northern California for prospecting two years ago.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not ready for larger investments for better detectors. So, I a trying the ihe end pointer for now. If I find something interesting mining, then I will spend a couple thousand dollars on a high quality detector. I am just using both tools to compare readings in one site. The investment in equipment is for the one trip.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the gold is not very deep inside your ore samples, or if it's placer you're after, and it's not too deep in the soil or bedrock, the Falcon will sniff it out, but it's not built for speed or rapid ground coverage, plus you'll need to make sure it's calibrated properly or it will false so many times it'll drive you crazy. Having said all of that, I've found a bunch of nice gold with mine, but I use it exclusively for checking in tight spots where I can't get a coil down into, so it's a highly specialized use item for me, but it is effective in the tiny role I've set aside for it.

All the best, and good luck,

Lanny

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 7.5khz LCD detector...

7.5kHz sounds like a coin-shooting detector, which would only be suitable for very large nuggets. Most gold detectors are tuned considerably higher than that, and will find sub-gram pieces for you.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If money is the issue right now, then, for roughly the price of the Falcon you can get a great used, older gold detector off Ebay. I think even an older detector will be much more productive than the MD20 by itself.

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it isn't a gold hunting detector. its a detector designed to find very small gold and gold in ore. and they do work very well for that. the falcon can detect gold in ore that can not be seen by the naked eye.

Goldwasher is correct you will not have fun trying to walk around and metal detect with that. I have one and its an invaluable tool. But you gotta use the right tool for the job.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to get in to this cheaply then you might be better off looking for a second hand mid frequency Tesoro, they will give you a good base to start from,

hope this helps, J

alarmstudio

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2011
I have both a detector (18khz) and a falcon probe. The falcon probe is great and will find tiny flakes of gold that a detector could never pick up. The falcon will find flakes smaller than 0.1 gram . It is also very handy up for going into cracks in the bedrock.
The area were I live doesn't have large nuggets so a detector is a waste of time really. But the falcon has served me well.
Hope you find lots of the yellow stuff with it!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread