First Metal Detector?

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Working my way through this subforum, but I still wanted to start a thread as this is definitely a new territory for me. So I may have questions later on about some of things I'm finding in the older threads.

I'd like to start metal detecting for gold and whatnot and I know you get what you pay for...I just don't want to spend a ton at the moment on a detector.

What's a good starter one that can be modified at a later date? I'd like a digital display that's not ridiculously complicated. I need instant gratification. Obviously, I will not have that while detecting, I want instant gratification with the setup and ease of use.

Also, a light-ish one would be ideal. I have 4 pinched nerves thanks to years as a gymnast, poor office chairs, boxing, and slinging wood around (had my own custom furniture and restoration shop for a bit until my nerves made me shut it down). There are days that I live in total pain and testing every section of my property and panning out crap loads of Georgia clay is meant for those that can bend their head down for more than a few minutes at a time. I love panning, but I need to cut down on wasted time b/c I need a refill on my pain meds and a new pain management dr now.

One that can go underwater would be great.

My son had a little flimsy one from Toys R Us when he was about 6 or 7 so I know what I DO NOT want! LOL That thing went into the trash a few years ago. It was only $20 though. I'm looking to spend quite a bit more.

My husband showed me the Garrett GTI 2500 and the Garrett AT Gold. I don't really want to spend over $1000, but if it pays for itself... but $1000 for your first detector?? I dunno... there are so many out there. Not sure what would be a good fit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'day and welcome, Personally I am with nuggetshooter323, I would be checking out the Lobo if you can get by without a meter, OR one of the MXTs either the MXT, MXT-300 and the MXT pro and now the MXT All Pro, The MXT has found more gold than any other detector out there, The Lobo and the MXT were made by the Same Engineer Dave Johnson and there is good reason why these two machines have stood the test of time,

I would forget about the MX-Sport because it has so many issues and is a long way from being perfect, unlike the Lobo and the MXTs and you can't get any straight answers about the MX-Sport and the design is all wrong so don't waste your money on it,

Hope this helps,, J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread