First Metal Detector?

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Working my way through this subforum, but I still wanted to start a thread as this is definitely a new territory for me. So I may have questions later on about some of things I'm finding in the older threads.

I'd like to start metal detecting for gold and whatnot and I know you get what you pay for...I just don't want to spend a ton at the moment on a detector.

What's a good starter one that can be modified at a later date? I'd like a digital display that's not ridiculously complicated. I need instant gratification. Obviously, I will not have that while detecting, I want instant gratification with the setup and ease of use.

Also, a light-ish one would be ideal. I have 4 pinched nerves thanks to years as a gymnast, poor office chairs, boxing, and slinging wood around (had my own custom furniture and restoration shop for a bit until my nerves made me shut it down). There are days that I live in total pain and testing every section of my property and panning out crap loads of Georgia clay is meant for those that can bend their head down for more than a few minutes at a time. I love panning, but I need to cut down on wasted time b/c I need a refill on my pain meds and a new pain management dr now.

One that can go underwater would be great.

My son had a little flimsy one from Toys R Us when he was about 6 or 7 so I know what I DO NOT want! LOL That thing went into the trash a few years ago. It was only $20 though. I'm looking to spend quite a bit more.

My husband showed me the Garrett GTI 2500 and the Garrett AT Gold. I don't really want to spend over $1000, but if it pays for itself... but $1000 for your first detector?? I dunno... there are so many out there. Not sure what would be a good fit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey huntress, I'm not an expert but my vote would be the AT Gold since budget is a factor. It seems to be a great all around detector as well. I'm currently using an AT Pro, but if I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I would get the ATG.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some great used detectors for sale on this site or contact Big Boys hobbies and ask them They are experts and won't pressure you. In fact, all the companies here are pretty much like that. They want to encourage people to get what they can afford and will explain what might be best for you. Good hunting...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
When you say "under water", do you mean the search coil only, or the entire detector? Is there a chance you might drop your detector in water?

The Fisher F22 and F44 are weatherproof, meaning you can hose them off without worry. Just cannot submerse the box. They are also relatively inexpensive as well as having digital display.

I apologize for not having any such knowledge about other detectors/brands. And even this is only from reading. But these detectors seem to have high ratings.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to start metal detecting for gold and whatnot and I know you get what you pay for...I just don't want to spend a ton at the moment on a detector.

What's a good starter one that can be modified at a later date? I'd like a digital display that's not ridiculously complicated. I need instant gratification. Obviously, I will not have that while detecting, I want instant gratification with the setup and ease of use.

Are you talking about gold nuggets, or beach detecting for rings, chains, that sort of thing? Unfortunately, there are very, very few larger pieces of gold in Georgia, at least enough to make detecting for them worthwhile. From your description, and your physical limitations and budget (and if your plan is to look for gold nuggets) my vote would be for the Gold Bug Pro. It's the lightest gold detector available right now, and is as close to switch on and go as they come.

You also mentioned modification. If I understand what you're asking about correctly, that's a controversial subject. Some folks swear by them, and others say that at best they do nothing, and at worst ruin a detector. The only mods I know of where there is an organized community is for the Minelab GPX series, and they don't come cheap.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at the Minelab X-Terra 705 with the Gold Pack the frequency can be changed just by changing the coil. update just by buying a different coil
3 kHz, 7.5 kHz, 18.75 kHz the 3kHz works in trashy area's and locks on to the good targets the 7.5kHz is good for depth for coin & relics
the gold pack comes with the 18.75kHz coil, that's close to the original gold bug, but its all push button screen, real light at 2.9lbs

Last edited:

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Gold Bug 2 and I love it! It's the most sensitive detector on the market for small gold nuggets (71 Khz). However, it doesn't have the "digital display" you're wanting. As mentioned by another member above, the gold bug PRO is very similar and has the digital display. Just isn't as sensitive and the 2. I got mine used for $500. They run new for between 700-800. Hope this helps

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FIRST and foremost join a local jokel club be it detecting,gold,gem and mineral as goldnutz are everywhere.Educate and prosper as your trying to fly(nuggetshoot) prior to learning to walk(using a real detector) and experience is worth it all-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold bug pro

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of detectors out there that could fill your needs, also you should consider accessories: headphones, digging tools, pinpointer. You do not need all of these right now but the digger is a must. Wireless headphones would be my next purchase and then the pinpointer.

I believe John is correct, attend/join a local detecting club as the members will all have their preferences for the detector that best fits your area IF there is a special need for a certain detector (like highly mineralized ground or a nice iron layer down under the ground.

The choice of detector depends a lot on the type of target you will begin searching for. Gold nuggets/pickers/tiny pieces of gold - is one of the hardest targets to locate and it means you might/most likely will be going out into rougher country than city parks. But then all sorts of things are found in currently operating city parks, fairgrounds, church picnic areas, old parts of any town, any meeting area of any club or group, one just must ask for permission to detect - sometimes the current owners say no and sometimes they say yes. Fill Your Holes! If you want to be invited back or have a property owner recommend you to another property owner, treat all properties with respect and return it to the condition you found it in or even Better. Learn how to dig a plug! especially if you will be working in grass! Good luck on your adventure and purchase...............63bkpkr

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATGold or whites MX-sport would be my choice. It's so much more enjoyable not having to worry about dunking your machine when creek, river or lake detecting

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you say "under water", do you mean the search coil only, or the entire detector? Is there a chance you might drop your detector in water?

The Fisher F22 and F44 are weatherproof, meaning you can hose them off without worry. Just cannot submerse the box. They are also relatively inexpensive as well as having digital display.

I apologize for not having any such knowledge about other detectors/brands. And even this is only from reading. But these detectors seem to have high ratings.

You have more knowledge than I do!

Just the bottom part, enough to sweep across the surf and pick stuff up without the need of scuba gear if I were to use it for other things besides gold. I'd like to be able to use it in small creeks - nothing deep at all.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pretty sure the coils of most modern machines can work in water. If wrong, I'm sure we'll quickly find out. :wink:

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you talking about gold nuggets, or beach detecting for rings, chains, that sort of thing? Unfortunately, there are very, very few larger pieces of gold in Georgia, at least enough to make detecting for them worthwhile. From your description, and your physical limitations and budget (and if your plan is to look for gold nuggets) my vote would be for the Gold Bug Pro. It's the lightest gold detector available right now, and is as close to switch on and go as they come.

You also mentioned modification. If I understand what you're asking about correctly, that's a controversial subject. Some folks swear by them, and others say that at best they do nothing, and at worst ruin a detector. The only mods I know of where there is an organized community is for the Minelab GPX series, and they don't come cheap.

Gold is the hope, but I wouldn't toss out a few pieces of found randomness! My property is surrounded by old gold mines and I've found a little gold. There must be more, and if I don't find where I'm randomly sampling, a detector may be pretty beneficial. If it's not, well then I guess I have plenty to do when I go to the beach! Plus that would help me out a lot during the holiday season. Last year I dropped an entire box of nails while on a ladder hanging lights next to my driveway - at night. That was fun dragging a small magnet bowl across a large area trying to find every nail before they found my tires. :/

I wouldn't jump into modifying it right off the bat, if I modified at all (slim chance of doing so). Just if there was something that made it more sensitive or (??) by ?? I mean I'm not sure what all can be done to make a detector better if I went with a not so great model.

The lighter, the better! I always seem to find hobbies that aggravates the pinched nerves.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, we are talking about a few different machines, or one, heavy, very expensive machine.

Gold nugget machines don't do well on wet, saltwater beaches which are extremely conductive and make the whole beach look like one big target. Gold nugget detectors for your needs would be a Fisher Goldbug Pro - very light, easy to use, you can add larger or smaller coils as you learn, you can coinshoot with it as well. $650.00

Saltwater Beach? Goldbug Pro is GREAT in the DRY SAND. In the wet sand and water, the most inexpensive machine is an entry level pulse induction machine, the Tesoro Sand Shark $600.00

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now you can get a G2 - same electronics as Gold Bug Pro for $460 - brand new with full warranty.

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK, we are talking about a few different machines, or one, heavy, very expensive machine.

Gold nugget machines don't do well on wet, saltwater beaches which are extremely conductive and make the whole beach look like one big target. Gold nugget detectors for your needs would be a Fisher Goldbug Pro - very light, easy to use, you can add larger or smaller coils as you learn, you can coinshoot with it as well. $650.00

Saltwater Beach? Goldbug Pro is GREAT in the DRY SAND. In the wet sand and water, the most inexpensive machine is an entry level pulse induction machine, the Tesoro Sand Shark $600.00

Ahhh! So I need to look for one for land and one for my shark bait toes (blue crab bait toes really). I'm alright with just one for now, the landlubber machine will do just fine, until me inner pirate comes out and I need to hunt for me treasures!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might want to look at the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. There are nine Tesoro coils that will work for the LST and several other machines in the Tesoro line-up, so it's a very cost effective way to buy into a system that has a lot of value and quality.

Lobo Super Traq- It's a fantastic gold nugget machine with an "All Metal" setting and auto tracking ground balance, but it can also be used as a relic/coin hunter since it has a discrimination circuit. It also has settings that will compensate for the red Georgia clay mineralization. Also popular with southern and European relic hunters. Cost: Less than $700.

Tejon- This is a relic/coin hunter tweeked to the bleeding edge of stability by Tesoro. It has two seperate discrimination circuits, an "All Metal" setting with manual ground balance that works in discrimination and All Metal. This detector is so powerful, it will not work anywhere near black sand, salt water, or wet(salt) beach sand. Very popular with southern relic hunters. Cost: Less than $700.

Vaquero- This detector is a smaller, and mellower version of the Tejon. It has a single discrimination circuit, an All Metal mode, and a manual ground balance. This detector can be used for hunting gold nuggets as well as coin and relics. It has been called the poor-man's nugget hunter. Cost: $460.

All of these detectors use the same coils, and you can interchange them as needed. All the coils are waterproof, so you can dunk them into water up to the control box.

TheHbeast

Jun 21, 2016
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gotta go with Garret. if you're not sure if metal detecting is for you, try the Ace 150, or if you're feeling bold you could get the 250. Be sure to stick with the big name brands like Garret or Kelly co. at first. They're big for a reason. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might want to look at the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. There are nine Tesoro coils that will work for the LST and several other machines in the Tesoro line-up, so it's a very cost effective way to buy into a system that has a lot of value and quality.

Lobo Super Traq- It's a fantastic gold nugget machine with an "All Metal" setting and auto tracking ground balance, but it can also be used as a relic/coin hunter since it has a discrimination circuit. It also has settings that will compensate for the red Georgia clay mineralization. Also popular with southern and European relic hunters. Cost: Less than $700.

Tejon- This is a relic/coin hunter tweeked to the bleeding edge of stability by Tesoro. It has two seperate discrimination circuits, an "All Metal" setting with manual ground balance that works in discrimination and All Metal. This detector is so powerful, it will not work anywhere near black sand, salt water, or wet(salt) beach sand. Very popular with southern relic hunters. Cost: Less than $700.

Vaquero- This detector is a smaller, and mellower version of the Tejon. It has a single discrimination circuit, an All Metal mode, and a manual ground balance. This detector can be used for hunting gold nuggets as well as coin and relics. It has been called the poor-man's nugget hunter. Cost: $460.

All of these detectors use the same coils, and you can interchange them as needed. All the coils are waterproof, so you can dunk them into water up to the control box.

Thanks for mentioning the evil GA clay - I didn't even think about the clay being an issue. Not sure why I didn't, the clay is evil. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread