metal detecting for gold on the east coast

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since gold "nuggets" are more rare than diamonds, and gold "pickers" are almost as rare on the East Coast, you'll want a machine like the Fisher Goldbug II, or the Whites GMT. Shallow and small is your focus in the East - along with a lot of prayer and luck.

The Eureka, is Minelab's attempt to build a machine that can hunt gold nuggets, and shoot coins in parks. It does both, but it's heavy and clunky. The 705 was born out of its ashes.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in the Northeast, and am familiar with the types of ground, soils, and vegetation you're likely to find. The good news, is that Maine has probably the best chance of having small pieces of gold that a detector will sound off on...east of the Mississippi. The bad news is that because of the wetter conditions (as compared against Western states), the bigger gold that a detector can find, is likely beyond the capabilities of the machine because of the amount of overburden.

That's not to say that the task is impossible -- just that you'll have to be very selective in the places you go. If you Google "gold in Maine," you'll come up with a handful of sites that will direct you to possible locations. From there, it may take some scouting to find places with shallow bedrock, because these are the places you'll want to zero in on.

I don't know how much pressure Maine has had from other folks with detectors, but this is another factor to consider. You may have to do a bit more hiking to separate yourself from the worked-out spots that are closer to roads.

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Idk about Maine but in Virginia the only people having any success with metal detectors are using minelab gpx detectors.

High soil mineralization and deep overburden negate the use of vlf detectors in most gold bearing areas in va. Idk how similar Maine is.

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is IDK? sorry

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IDK = I Don't Know.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohh ok thank you

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Vaquero44 did you get a detector? Where on the east coast are you trying to metal detect?

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Here in Maine, the best areas to work with a metal detector are where bedrock is partially exposed with only shallow areas of overburden. Often the cracks in bedrock run so deep that gold is several inches below the surface of the bedrock. Work the areas that are high and dry in summer and fall but were in the stream flow during the Spring runoff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread