Help ID Ore/Rock

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i found something really interesting today at a spot out at Keswick, i was working this dried up wash drainage coming down the hill side.started getting hit like a nugget under a hot rock 38-70 going crazy, start digging down and i came across these two peaces of rock/ore really light in weight really pores like really gritty sand paper. any ideas?
WP_20160724_12_54_21_Pro.jpg WP_20160724_12_54_38_Pro.jpg WP_20160724_12_56_25_Pro.jpg

Upvote 0

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
keswickqq.jpg

Hello Darmentle, at Keswick Dam,above the trailhead parking area and to the West up the road there is a draw that comes down the slope in the form of a steep waterfall. If you go up and continue along the draw a few hundred yards you will see a old trail/road above and to the left. Get up on this track and continue till it runs out and you should be at the bottom of a very narrow gully. Go up this gully, pretty steep, and the ground will look better and better with river worn rock becoming visible. There are a few small open spots where I found some nice nuggets and also found this same type of iron rock, this would be on the right side going up. This iron rock is pretty common in our area especially the closer you get to Iron Mtn. Above the shooting ranges you can get truckloads of this stuff. When I first started detecting this area it was difficult at times to differentiate the signal as, at depth it is a very nice one. Good luck out there, Get a hold of me if you want.

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its Iron it will have magnetic qualities to it so if you are not getting any attraction or detraction then its not iron.

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have mineral field manual that gives descriptions of elements/mineral and you can do hardness and a streak test on it that will tell us a lot. Looks like a meteorite to me but no iron so interesting. Whenever I run across stuff like this even though its not worth a dam I love to find out what it is because whats usually invovled in testing it and whatnot is indispensable information for the future.

OP
OP
darmentle

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have mineral field manual that gives descriptions of elements/mineral and you can do hardness and a streak test on it that will tell us a lot. Looks like a meteorite to me but no iron so interesting. Whenever I run across stuff like this even though its not worth a dam I love to find out what it is because whats usually invovled in testing it and whatnot is indispensable information for the future.

I dont do you have a link where i find to buy?

GoldCTX

Nov 26, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
GPX-4500
CTX-3030
Macro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i found something really interesting today at a spot out at Keswick, i was working this dried up wash drainage coming down the hill side.started getting hit like a nugget under a hot rock 38-70 going crazy, start digging down and i came across these two peaces of rock/ore really light in weight really pores like really gritty sand paper. any ideas?
View attachment 1339895 View attachment 1339896 View attachment 1339897

I wonder if you have done a "Continuity Test"? If it has "zero continuity" ~ Then I would suggest it is of Volcanic Origin and is a form of "Basalt" Rock. There are many, many variations of colors and textures of Basalt. And Some Basalts do really crazy things to metal detectors... like hot rocks! I lot of so called Hot rocks are in fact "Basalt rocks".

Below is a photo of a Basalt Rocks similar it your variety, that a got off the internet. But,as i said... there are many variations of Basalt rocks.

basaltdacite4.jpg .

I have found pockets of rocks like that up east of Medicine Lake >( North of Bartle off of Highway 89) (I use to work up near Little Glass Mtn) That type of Rock is quite common in Volcanic areas like that. Some types are very light weight like Pumice or more common name "Lava" but in some cases... it has a shiny surface somewhat glass like. I found some hunks Basalt were dark Brown and some light green,and some that were a beautiful rainbow iridescent Cobalt blue in the direct sunlight! Like it was Glazed in a Potters Kiln. I presume that rock like this in a volcanic eruption would fly great distances shot out the top of a volcano! It is not too surprising to be finding it as close as Keswick Dam. I heard that a huge piece of rock from the top of Mt Shasta was found on the sea floor near Hawaii.

It is amazing the things you discover out there digging... I still have a boxes of interesting rocks and some prehistoric things that I have found ~ I am still not sure what to do with them... .

Well Darmentle, that's my two cents... I hope that helps!

all the best,

Gerard

Last edited:
OP
OP
darmentle

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder if you have done a "Continuity Test"? If it has "zero continuity" ~ Then I would suggest it is of Volcanic Origin and is a form of "Basalt" Rock. There are many, many variations of colors and textures of Basalt. And Some Basalts do really crazy things to metal detectors... like hot rocks! I lot of so called Hot rocks are in fact "Basalt rocks".

Below is a photo of a Basalt Rocks similar it your variety, that a got off the internet. But,as i said... there are many variations of Basalt rocks.

View attachment 1341010 .

I have found pockets of rocks like that up east of Medicine Lake >( North of Bartle off of Highway 89) (I use to work up near Little Glass Mtn) That type of Rock is quite common in Volcanic areas like that. Some types are very light weight like Pumice or more common name "Lava" but in some cases... it has a shiny surface somewhat glass like. I found some hunks Basalt were dark Brown and some light green,and some that were a beautiful rainbow iridescent Cobalt blue in the direct sunlight! Like it was Glazed in a Potters Kiln. I presume that rock like this in a volcanic eruption would fly great distances shot out the top of a volcano! It is not too surprising to be finding it as close as Keswick Dam. I heard that a huge piece of rock from the top of Mt Shasta was found on the sea floor near Hawaii.

It is amazing the things you discover out there digging... I still have a boxes of interesting rocks and some prehistoric things that I have found ~ I am still not sure what to do with them... .

Well Darmentle, that's my two cents... I hope that helps!

all the best,

Gerard

Thanks for the info i will try the continuity test tonight. It feels more volcanic to me then anything, not dense enough to be a meteorite, i took a gem magnifying glass to and its full of shiny metal flakes wish i could take a picture but i cant get the camera to focus thew the magnifying glass.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
powered by*A Freely Accessible Repository of Digitized California Newspapers from 1846 to the Present

Home*

Search*

Titles*

Dates*

Tags*

Counties*

Help*

About*

California Digital Newspaper Collection*>*Sacramento Daily Union*> 23 May 1863

Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 25, Number 3797, 23 May 1863

IssueArticle

EXCURSION TO THE IRON MOUNTAIN

Text

Correct this text

EXCURSION TO THE*IRON*MOUNTAIN

[correspondence or the union.

Shasta,*May 13, 1363.

Wonderful as California is in the grandeur of hermountain*scenery and in the fertility of her soil, the products of her precious metals are equally unexampled. In this ago of ripe experience, when universal enterprise and searching investigation have brought almost everything beneath their touch, it is something to be able to announce to the public tho recent discovers of a vast*iron*mountain.

A. P. Ladd and myself Btarted on foot from*Shasta*on Saturday morning, May lGth. at six o'clock, on this expedition, for the purpose of exploring and ascending the*Iron*Mountain.*This*mountain*is situated between Whisky and Spring creeks, some ten miles from*Shasta,*in a northerly direction, and is about six thousand feet above the level of the ocean. It can be seen from the Red Bluff and*Shasta*stage road, looming up betvveon two other mountains, and is readily distinguished" by its conical summit. Crossing the headwaters of Rock creek, which emptiea iuto the Sacrameuto, our route was by tha way of Spriug creek. This stream runs through a narrow canon, not without interest, which presents a gceuery wild and magnificent. Abrupt ravines at times hud to be avoided by a circuitous route, and ridgea climbed in many places in ascending the course of the creek. Following up Spriug creek three miles, over rocks and through chaparral, we reached the mouth of Slick Kock creek, where we commenced the ascent on the ridge, which also divides it from Bowlder creek — thinking it would be easier to make the ascent of the*Iron*Mountain*from the northwest by keeping round on the top of the Whisky creelc divide. After ascending about half a mile, we came across a large quartz ledge, well defined. We followed it about oue hundred yards, through a ravine, by its outcroppings. This quartz ledge looks too white to contain any gold, but pyrites of*iron*could be seen intermixed. As we ascended, the formation of the earth changes, and the principal portion of rock is of a dark brown, gray and yellowish color, and contains large quantities of the sulphate of*iron*; and mixed with it, often, are streaks and veins of reddish quartz. The black magneticaliron*ore is seen in the quartz veins, and the specular oxyde of*iron*in the reddish-brown and gray bowlders. Some of these quartz veins are as much as eight inches thick, and*iron*is readily distinguished by its rust, as it is mixed with calcareous and brown rocks of a porous structure, and when exposed to the air assumes a rusty appearance. Above these quartz leads, the earth presents the appearance of lava, and is of a reddish cast, and the rocks scattered over the side of the*mountain*contain*iron*visible to the eye. Portions of this ridge, with the exception of a fow stunted treeß, are almost destitute of vegetation. The earth is barren and volcanic, and the further we ascend*iron*ore is found in great profusion. Bounding joyously onward, we soon reached a plateau, the region of fir trees and sugar pines. Around the brow of this plateau large*iron*rocks are piled on rocks some twenty feet high, in wild confusion, and extending around to the left in broken columns; while aR around, tall pine trees lift their lofty branches over a hundred feet above us.

We rose higher and higher and found ourselves among the monarchs of the forests, "God's first temples," and soon reached the top of the dividing rid^e stretching northward, which divides Whisky and Spring creeks. Whilst resting here we changed our course and concluded to descend Cross Bowlder creek and follow up one of the slopes to the summit of the*Iron*Mountain.*Down we went, over patches of snow, scrambling and clinging to the rocks and shrubbery, and soon reached the creek. This creek takes its rise on the northwest of the*Iron*Mountain,and the canon through which it runs is steep and precipitous in places, and the water leaps and bounds over large black rock of almost pure*iron,*which has been worn smooth by the action of water. Following down this stream some distance, we clambered over huge bowlders, which had rolled down from the sides of the mountains, and filling up the bed of the creek, over which the water rushed furiously.*Iron*is intermixed through these large rocks in small points, some of whioh are frequently to be detected on the surface bowlder.

The bed rock of the creek is formed of blackish rock and mixed with the sulphate of iroo,

and the alluvial deposit is quite shallow. Many of the smaller rocks are nearly round and oblong and very heavy, and when" broken present sparks of metallic luster and ferruginated. I found specimens presenting the appearance of having been melted and dropped from the rocks high above and rolled down in round globules to the bed of the stream, and are as heavy as so much cast*iron,*and when smelted I should judge would average ninety per cent, of*iron*of the finest quality. Along the sides of the creek, in rugged crevices, shaggy trees are rooted, of stunted growth, and aromatic shrubs are spicing the air, and beetling rocks which overhung the creek are attractive for their solitary desukteness.

Above this point gold has never been found, but below here, to its outlet, the banks and bed of the creek have paid richly whenever the bed rock could be reached. Bowlder creek is rightly uauied, for thousands of them have rolled down the*mountainand filled up the bed of the stream, where some of the richest placers of gold have been deposited, and miners have abandoned working this stream on account of the impracticability of removing these large bowlders. Having arrived at the foot of the ridge which sweeps down around from the summit of themountain,*up we start, clambering over rocks beetling over toward the creek, and soon gained the first bench. From our prest-nt position, and from a cursory examination of some of the detached masses, rolled down and lying in all directions around us, we see it to be an immense mass or congeries of masses of coarse conglomeration, its color the yellow of the oxyde of*iron.*Cinder and lava are seen scattered around in profusion, and some of it the color of cinnabar, and porus, like a honey comb. Having now fairly reached the*Iron*Mountain,*which rose majestically above as, we passed along the side of an immense river of lava, which had stopped in its burning progress and hardened into reddish stones, a perpetual monument, in its mighty and terrific desolation, of the visible agency which has wrought in the bosom of this*mountain.*The base and surrounding rocks are light gray, yellow and reddish, partially decomposed. Large masses of rocks are found strewn around, and portions of which containiron.*All these rocks present the appearance of having been melted dv vo'canic heat, as lava and cinders are scattered all over the*mountain.

Having passed the rugged base and ascended to a considerable bight, the earth had changed to a reddish cast, and quartz lay scattered profusely around in small detached fragments. Another still more precipitous p.scent presented its rocky face. Yonder, to the northwest, a whole series of solid buttresses of*iron*rocks stretched away toward the summit. It is one solid and gigantic mass of*ironrocks. The*iron*strata are as usual in these formations, and all around the summit can be seen a belt of outcroppings in forms wild and fantastic. Gigantic masses of rock encircle with their*iron*belt just below the summit, giving it the appearance of an impregnable fortresss. These rocks are cracked aud split into assures and hundreds of fragments. Fire, the ingenious force of the slumbering volcano on which we stand, has been at work on this mass and has reduced it in color like cinnabar and in con>istencv similar to a honeycomb. Occasionally the rocks seem to have been rendered light'and spongy, or of an almost pumice-like structure. This*mountainbears indication of volcanic*eruption,*and the rocks have the appearance of being burned and melted, and the*iron*from these rocks is found in its almost pure state in the beds of Spring and Bowlder creeks. After four hours of incessant toil, with slow steps we ascended its steep and rugged Bide, aud after many restings we were able to attain its summit. The whole surrounding couutry is spread out like a map of the world. What a scene of wild beauty and savage sublimity lay spread out before us iv all its fascinating loveliness. The t-ye sweeps a circle of hundreds of miles with au absolute and unimpeded sway, Far away to the south spread the fertile plains of Sacramento, with M'.llville, Fort Reading and Red Bluff skirting the horizon, whilst near by Clmrntown, Buckeye and*Shasta*City stand in the foreground. Dotted here and there with farm houses meadow lands and fields of grain, looking green as an emerald and smooth as the surface of a sleeping lake, and through this great valley the Sacramento river is distinctly seen, like a serpentine mirror, winding its way southward to the Pacific ocean.

Having satisfied our curiosity in viewing this scenery of rare loveliness, we commenced the descent on the eastern slope, and hurriedly descended to Spring oroek and followed it down a short distance, when we discovered another vast*iron*led^e just opposite theIron*Mountain,*and traced it over a mile to the summit of a*mountain*which divides Spring creek from the Sacramento. This is the sume*iron*belt which runs southeast by northwest and extends some five miles from the summit of Whisky creek divide, passing over the summit of the*Iron*Mountain*and crossing Spring creek to the top of the divide of the Sacramento. "We followed the ridge down southward to the low divide of Spring and Flat creeks. A good wagon road has been built from the Sacramento river up Flat creek to the top of this low divide, and the south base of thisIron*Mountain*lies at the foot of this divide, aud with little labor a good road, with an easy grade, can be made to the base of either of these*iron*mountains. Mountains of*iron*are not very numerous. This is the only one in the world where it is found in so large quantities. It is twenty miles in circumference, aud nearly all of it is solid*iron*of the finest quality, and well may the citizens of*Shasta*county boast of her richness in minerals, as she is considered by Professor Whitney, State Geologist, to be the richest county in minerals of all kinds in California, and the least labor bestowed on them to develop their resources. Xo person can form an adequate idea of the amount aud extent of*iron*winch can be smelted no*w lyinjj buried in these Spring Creek mountains. Believe me when I tell you that we saw a sufficient quautitv of*iron*ore exposed, some of which was almost pure*iron,*when smelted to ninke a million tons of*iron.*There can be gathered enough*iron*from these mountains to build twenty- fiVe Atlantic and Paciiic Railroads, ties and cross pieces, ull*iron,*from Boston to Sun Francisco — besides furnishing all the nations of the earth, for the various purposes required for all practical uses, for the next twenty tnousand years — and then you would not have exhausted even oue of these*iron*mountains. The citizens of Oregon and California need not send to the East for railroadiron*to build the Marysville and Portland Railroad, for here it is within four miles of the Sacramento river, along which the railroad must necessarily run. Grove K. Godfrey.

Yuda County.— The Grand Jury for the May term, ISO 3, respectfully report that they have given due attention to all the business brought before them. They have found six true bills for the following offenses, viz : For assault with iutent to do bodily injury, 8 ; felony, 2 ; robbery, 1. Three cases were ignored.

Monterey. — A new and very rich silver mine has been discovered in the Coast RaDge south of that city.

Empu-ivmbst Aoext.— S. P. Whitman, San Francisco.

Comments*(0)

Tags*(0)

Issue***Search results****Hint: Right-click on an article to see options menu**

Page 2

Page 3

*© 2008-2016*DL Consulting.*All rights reserved.*Powered by*Veridian*

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iron mtn. Nearby was a active volcano at one time. Ive found many of the same rocks out there. They are a type of volcanic basalt I believe. They are non magnetic and dont give any indication of iron on the fe03 reading on a dector. Or the iron bars. This old newspaper article above is a good story of the area. The words are a little screwed up, but youll get the picture.
Good luck

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is another one

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 31, Number 4715, 7 May 1866

IssueArticle

CITY INTELLIGENCE.

Text

Correct this text

CITY INTELLIGENCE.

Howard Benevolent Societt. From the report of L. A. Upson, Secretary of the Howard Benevolent Society, for the month of April, wi obtain the following information : Number relieved during the month, 50 ; number of dispensations, 80; amount of cash from all sources, $489 ; paid out in April, $271 34 ; balance on hand May sth, $217 66 : bills audited and ordered paid, $161 52. Acknowledgment are due to Doctors Oatman, Frey, Ferris, Phelan, Clunes3, Nixon and Montgomery. Also, to the California Steam Navigation Company, Pacific Railroad, Sacramento Valley Railroad Pioneer Stage Company and Wells, Fargo & Co. The attention of the Directors has been called to the fact that there has been of late more teg iars in our city going from house to house, asking assistance — generally for money. To all who are called upon the Directors would request that they send or direct the patient ti either of the Directors or to the Steward of the ' Association, and the merits of the case will be investigated, and when the object is worthy, due assistance will be rendered, lt is the object of the Association to drive from our midst all imposters ; that to those deservingly in need cheerful aid and assistance will be given. , j

Singular Collision. — A singular collision occurred on Saturday forenoon at Fourth and X streets. The empty dirt wagon of P. Calla-

han, drawn by a span of horses, whs passing down Fourth street. A small-sized horse, which had broken loose from one of the stables at the horse market, came running down X street ai full speed, apparently frightened at a long rope suspended Irom his neck. In his mad career his bead struck against the upper portion ofthe hind wheel of the wagon with such force as to entirely upset the hind wheels and knock the driver from the wagon and "scatter on the ground the boards which, in service, constitute the wagon bed. The violence of the collision was such as to crush in the skull of the animal in a terrible manner, and unless appearances were deceptive, caused a portion of the brain to run from tbe wound. The horse started again down X street, and after rnnning about half a block, halted as though to deliberate on the result of his own folly. He was taken back to the â– table, and, up to last evening, was getting along as well as though be bad met with no disaster.

Police Court. — The following business was disposed of in the Police Court on Saturday: Frank Dunn, for sleeping on the sidewalk, warfined $10. The case of William Stickman, charged with burglary, was continued until Tuesday, the Bth of May. H. Ilamann, charged with a violation ot the Health Ordinance, was found guilty. In the case of Christopher Bates, charged with disturbing the peace, a nolle prosequi was entered. In the case of William Waterman, charged with assault and battery, stipulation of satisfaction was filed and cause dismissed on payment of cost. James Wilkins, charged with assault and battery on James Leonard, pleaded guilty and was fined $10. Roger mining and Frank Johnson were convicted on charges of sleeping on the sidewalk, and were fined $10 each. James Finnigan pleaded guilty to a charge of disturbing the peace, and was fined $25. J. B. Bateman, charged with disturbance of the peace, was discharged.

- Picnic Excursion. — Two Sabbath School picnic excursions took place on Saturday. At 9 o'clock a. m. the school of the Seventh Street Methodist Church left the city by the cars of the Pacific Railroad for Arcade creek. The company numbered about three hundred, and alter spending a very pleasant day on the grounds visited, returned at about _ o'clock in the afternoon. At half past 9 o'clock a. m. the Sabbath School ol the Baptist Church took the cars of the Sacramento Valley road and visited a fine arove on the Shingle Springs road, a mile or two beyond Folsom. Nearly six hundred persons went out on this train. After spending the greater part of the day at the grove, the train returned to PoUom, giving the excursionists an opportunity to visit the town, the American river, tbe bridges which span it, etc. The train returned to the city at about G o'clock in the evening, everything having passed off successfully and pleasantly.

New Books. — The following named new books have just been received by the Sacramento L*brary: " Biography of James Louis Pettigru,'' by W. I. Gravson; "Freedman Book," by Lydia Maria Child. ; " Only a Woman's Heart," by Ada Clare ; " Poetry of the War," by Richard Grant White ; " Leighton Court," by Henry King- ley; "Honor May "Indian Corn," by Edwurd Enfield ; " Diary from 18G3 to 1865," by Adam Gurowski; "Thornton ;" " The Toilers of the Sea," by Victor Hugo; " Comparative Physiognomy," by James W. Redfield; "Intellectual Philosophy," by Rev. Joseph Alden; "Redeemer and Redeemed," by Charles Beecher; Journal of Eugenic De GueriD," by G. S. Trebutien ; " The Great Consummation, by Rev. John Cummings.

Cry of Murder. — At quarter past nine o'clock last evening, the vicinity of Eighth and 0 streets was aroused by a loud cry of murder, in a woman's voice. The cry was repeated three or four times. J. Z. Davis, Len. Harris and others went out as soon as possible with lights, and found, on the east side of Eighth street, above 0, a woman's puff, evidently torn from the arm, and a Catholic prayer book without any name in it. They could not find either the woman or her assailant or assailants. Mrs. Harris felt confident that she heard persons struggling on the sidewalk as tin. ugh a woman was being dragged down 0 street.

Inquest. — On Saturday forenoon the body of an unknown man was found afloat in the Sacramento river, near tbe foot of P street. Coroner Conboie being absent, Justice Gilmer held an inquest, after which the body was buried by J. W. Reeves. The body was that of a man about fire feet in bight, and was clothed in gray pants and a gray woolen shirt, buttoned up the breast. It bad evidently been in the water a long time, and was in such _ condition that identification was impossible. No testimony was elicited jjhedding any light on the subject.

The Courts.— The District Court and County Court will meet at tbe usual hours this morning. In the District Court the case of Lick vs. Madden will come up for trial. In the County Court the following criminal cases will receive attention : The People vs. U. H. Hill, on a charge of burglary; The People vs. NeAson Springer and Van Rcnselaer Springer, for sjrand larceny ; and The People vs. George Williams, for grand larceny.

Abiiests.— Saturday and yesterday the following arrests were made: Richard Roe, by officer Marcher, for assault and battery; Jenny Smith, by officer Harvey, for disturbing the peace; Mary McCarty, by officer Harvey, for disturbing the peace; WissenhofF, by officers Karcher and Harvey, for disturbance of the peace ; James Hughes, by officer Dunlevy, for being drunk and disturbing the peace.

Supreme Court. — In the Supreme Court on Saturday the following orders were entered: Goldstein vs. Hart— On motion of Dwindle and filing stipulation, ordered that appellant have until the 20th of May to reply to respondent's brief. Belknap vs. Byington— On motion of Wilson and tiling stipulation, ordered that appellant have until the 17th of May to reply to respondent's brief.

Another Excursion.— The Children's Lyceum will leave the city. on _ picnic excursion on Wednesday next. Taking the cars of the Pacific Railroad, the excursionists will visit a fine grove at Leet's Station, on tbe Lincoln "and Folsom Railroad, a mile and a half above Rostf▼ille. At the locality selected, an unusual abundance and variety of wild flowers may be found.

Markiace in Church. — At nine o'clock last evening, at tbe close of the regular service, the marriage ceretnouv was performed by Rev. M. C. Briggs, at the Sixth street Methodist church. The parties to the contract are residents of the city and the church was crowded by their friends, who were of course advised that the marriage was to take place.

Fire Alarm.— At six o'clock last evening the rear of the house of W. Sutherland, on L street, near Seventh, caught fire from the stove pipe. A general alarm was created, but the ere was extinguished by the . neighbor^, by the free use of buckets, before the engines got into service. The damage done waa not very extensive. y , ;

Firemen's Fight. — A fight occurred last evening at the fire on L street, near Seventh, between several members of Engine Company Nt? . 5. The contest was renewed by the parties after reaching the engine bouse, but no serious damage was done at either locality.

Board of Health.— The new Board of Health held its first meeting on Saturday evening at the office of Dr. Harkness, at Second and J streets. T. Millman was elected Health Officer. The Board will meet again on Wednesday •vaning to complete its organization. . - -

Supervisors.— The Board of Supervisors will meet at the usual place at two o'clock r, M, tor^T'O

Mexican Celebration.— The i Mexicans and native Californians of the city celebrated on Saturday, by the display of flags and appropriate exercises, the anniversary of one of the victories of the Liberalists over the enemies of the Mexican republic.

Swamp Land Board.— The members of the Board of Supervisors will to-morrow, at ten /clock, to hold their first meeting under the law passed by the last Legislature, as a Board of Swamp Land Commissioners.

Frosj. — After several days of cold and unpleasant weather, Sacramento was on Saturday morning visited by a heavy frost: a very unusual occurrence for the month of May.

Deaths. — But three deaths occurred in Sacramento last week. Two of the deceased were adults and one an infant. One ofthe adults was a native of Ireland and the other of Germany.

The River. — The Sacramento river had, last evening, fallen to the seventeen feet six inch mark, and continues to recede at tbe rate of two or three inches per day. .

Trustees. — A regular meeting of the Board ot Trustees will be held at the usual place to-day.

Mining in Nevada "County.— From the Iran script of May sth we gather the following -tuning intelligence:

Within the past year and a half the great Blue Cement lead has been prospected from the boundary line of Placer, through Little York township, to the claims of Jacobs _ Sargent, on Quaker Hill. This remarkable deposit seems to have once been tbe bed of a river. It varies from fifteen to one hundred and fifty feet ii, width, and the cement is so hard that it can only be successfully worked by mills. During tlje past eighteen months, ten or twelve excellent mills have been erected upon the lead, and we do not know of a singU instance of failure to find good pay. The yield is from eight hundred to six thousand dollars per week. Thi average yield cannot be less than from fifteen hundred to two thousand dollars for every seven days to each milL The gold is coarse, and as the cement Is not neai so v> .rd as quartz, the process of working Is simple and rapid. _/ .ring the past two years prospecting for quarts ha. been pushed with energy in every part of the county. In Nevada township hundreds of valuable mines have been opened which are now giving large numbers 01 men constant employment and yielding their owners a handsome income. Gold Flat and Willow showed little signs of vitality a year ago, now they have become thickly, settled neighborhoods, with mills and hoisting works upon almost every ravine and hillside. The sane energy .which has resulted in such developments about Nevada has characterized the mining enteprises of Grass Valley. New mills have been erected and new paying ledges opened. At Eureka and Bowman's considerable prospecting has been dene, which is attended by most promising prospects. In the gravel claims on the ridge, from Moore's Flat to French Corral, miners have reaped a golden harvest and are still " gathering in" the dust in larger quantities than for many years. The Eureka claims at San Juan cleaned up f__,ooo in one week's run, and many other companies have taken out enormous sums of

money. In Washington township, the Tecuraseh company hive struck rock in their ledge which bids lair to rival the celebrated Allison Ranch mine in richness. Other companies are at work and taking out excellent rock, but owing to the want of mills but little has yet been worked. The whole country in this township abounds in ledges, from the town of Washington to Eureka and Biwman's, and the time will come when millions or dollars will be taken from them annually. The Oregon ledge is located on Rush creek, about three miles from this city, and is owned by Brown, Hinds and others. It was taken up several years ago. and worked for some time with varying results. A mill was erected, and after much expense, work was suspended. Since the revival in prospecting, the present company resumed work and succeeded in striking pay rock. The mill has beon renovated and supplied with improved machinery, "and we are informed by a gentleman who recently visited the mine that the rock was paying splendidly. Our Informant saw a specimen about two feet in diameter which was studded with tine gold. Its value is estimated at between six and eight hundred dollars. The Oregon is only one of the many ledges which were opened several years since, that from ,n~\° «• vise failed to pay, which have since been found valuable. i ...i recently, the opinion that no very rich plafcei claims of any extent could be found at great altitude:? seems to have been pretty generally accepted by miners, and therefore iittle prospecting lor mines of this character has been^done in such localities. The recen' discovery of placer diggings, which rival those of 1519 and 1850 in richness, above Eureka, in this county, am just across the county line. in Sierra county, prove the lalsity of this opinion. Great excitement exists in Downleville In consequence of the strike made in that county, and the " burg " has almost been depopulated for a time. The gravel in the new mines is from four four to Aye feet in depth and the gold is coarse. The valley in which these claims are located has been prospected for more than a mile and seems to be very rich throughout its whole extent. About one thousand claims have already been located, The two men who first discovered these mines', in a run of two weeks took out $7,000 above expenses. One nugget has been found worth $1,100. Such a chunk /rom Central Amer rci or the lower regions would carry off thousands from this State. About three miles above Eureka, mines have been discovered in a flat a quarter of a mile in length. Th company at work in th's place is taking out about $50 per day to the hand. . The Transcript of May sth adds : Prospecting for quartz is getting to be very lively on Wood's Ravine and its vicinity. Several most excellent ledg have been discovered within a few weeks, ' and work has been resumed on a nu-nber of old claims. Ed. Harvey recently purchased a ledge which bas not been worked for four or five years and commenced operations upon it. The ledge is three feet wide, and when last worked the rock paid from $15 to $20 to tbe ton. Harvey <_ Co. are erecting hoisting works upon a ledge on which they have sunk to water. The ledge is nine feet thick and the ck looks well. We were shown some very rich specimens taken from this ledge. Other companies are at work with flattering prospects, and they will no doubt succeed in opening valuable mines.

Considerable interest Is manifested in quartz mines about -peuceville, in Rough and Ready township. At the Zinc House valuable claims have been located, ami at Albion Hill many good ledges are opened. Rock from these claims has been worked by mill process at Grass Valley, which paid $36 per ton. From" another claim, rock paid $12 to the ton. . Several leads at other places have recently been purchased by the agent of a New York company, and a twenty stamp mill is to be put up In thirty days.

A Young Volcano. — The*Shasta*Courier of May sth has the following account of a volcanic*eruption*onIron*Mountain*:

On the easterly slope of*Iron*Mountain,*and about a quarter of a mile from Its summit, may be seen a small column of smoke arising. At night, near the surface of the*mountain,*the vapor has a lurid appearance as if partaking of fire. It was noticed some ten days since by some Indians, and a party of two or three of them visited the place, thinking to find a prospecting party there, from whom they would naturally get chemuck enough to pay them for their trouble. The reader may judge their surprise on finding that the smoke was caused by no human agency. Alarmed, they fled to a cabin inhabited by a solitary miner, distant some two miles, and reported — to use the miner's own words that " hell had popped I " The miner, our informant, believing he had enough of daylight for the trip, took one of the Indians as a guide and sallied forth, armed with a trusty rifle and followed by a " dorp," in whose fighting capacity and pluck he had unbounded confidence. The sun had nearly dropped from the horizon when our friend arrived at his destination. He thus describes the scene presented : " When I got there I found the smoke rising, just as the lugin said. It came up out of a fissure in the rocks that was about three inches wide and six or eight feet long. The smoke is hot and smells sulphury. It couldn't have been going on smoking that way long, or I should have heard of it and what's more, the dead critter* I see laying around there would all have br»cn scattered. Why, Cap'n, there was rattlesnakes enough laying there dead to fill a two bushel bag. And these little owls and ground squirrels, thicker'n grass, and they hadn't began to stink yet. There wasn't nothing lay'n round like larva nor cinders, nor nothing of that kind. I tell you what, Cap'n, I think something has ketched a fire down In there by — by — " (we suggested " spontaneous combustion.") " Yes, that's ii— spontaneous 'bustion, and it's just found a chimney ready made, or we'd had a earthquake ; and all them dead things was living iv that crack."*Iron*Mountain*presents every evidence of having been the scene of volcanic eruptions — but when no one knowcth, nor Is it \ trance that the present manifestation appeared.'as described by our frien i. We propose to visit the locality la the fore part of the week, when we shall*

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look down near the bottom of the article about the eruption.

OP
OP
darmentle

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to know thanks for the information! i will be out tomorrow hunting some more, park right there at the bridge after the shooting range and work in that creek area.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claims there for many years and LEGAL-some people still care-private property both sides of the road at bridge. Closed to mineral entry east of Iron mountain road and Iron Mt. guards cruise the Spring creek area as also closed. Go to Tax office,county, and see who what and where as word has it folks are very hot and troublesome area as gun fire in every direction from multiple ranges and in the heat the booze/bong flows there..insane..John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions