Weighted down Labor Day Weekend

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
This weekend I spent some time with family and old friends at New Hogan Reservoir. I was learning my Minelab Eureka Gold while using it around the campground as well as on the shores of the lake. I've watched several videos that suggest the best mode for searching was the all metals mode. However, due to the trashy ground at the campground, I switched over to discrimination mode. The ground around the camp was not very mineralized so I was able to run my sensitivity at 75%. I picked up a few (old school) pull tabs from the camp area. When I moved out to the grassy area between the camps, I was picking up foil bottle tops at 3-5" with a loud signal. I continued to work making small adjustments to the sensitivity as I went.

I eventually made it down to the lake. As I was hauling my kayak and other equipment down to the waters edge, I noticed several large quartz veins. I had to dial down my sensitivity due to high mineralization. Between Saturday and Sunday, I recovered about a pound of lead fishing weights, 6 pennies (one coroded almost beyond recognition), two stainless steel bolts, and one steel hook. Some of the weights were several inches down, the deepest about 8". I almost gave up on that one but continued to dig it as it was along one of the quartz veins and I was hoping for my first gold. So this weekend was a skunk on gold but a win on educating myself with my new detector.

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QN, Not sure if New Hogan is BOR land or not, but just be careful as metal detecting on BOR land in CA is not allowed. Why I have no idea seems pretty stupid to me especially since doing so generally removes trash, but just fyi for the future.

Im going to be playing with my detector this weekend, its been hanging up all summer. I've had mine for a few years and have yet to find natural gold with it. One of these days!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice job making the area cleaner and safer than you found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread