Anyone in CA ever use a Garrett Infinium in the foothills?

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just like the title says, just curious if any of you have ever used this baby in the foothills of CA and how did she do on finding gold? Any tips on settings or things you learned about the machine?
I've done quite a bit of research on this awesome machine before i was able to purchase a used machine for $850 with not only the standard 10x14" DD, but the 8" Mono, and both the white 3x5" and 5x10" DD coils that are NOT waterproof unfortunately. So four coils total.
Watched some youtube videos of people in AU snagging some nice nuggets with one. I've already taken it to the beach and did alright. Found a couple coins(all 4 types at various depths, although nothing too deep), some lead fishing weights, some of those little mini laughing gas cartridges that look like CO2 cartridges for bb guns, and lots of cans pieces and foil :P. Took it to one of the claims(not known for nuggets, but some decent pickers) I have access to and found old casings, a few nails, and various iron pieces, all trash.

I'll be going to Colfax tomorrow to the Bear River Campground for UPI's outing this weekend(Stop by if you're near the area!). Hoping to do decent in their metal detector hunt. I'll let you all know when I win the bag of coins :laughing7:
I may have service, so hopefully I can check back, but I'm honestly asking more for the long term so I can hopefully find a nice picker or a nugget someday on one of the claims from UPI or AMRA :headbang:

Sunny :icon_sunny:

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There Sunshine,
I've no information on this machine though from what you've done with it so far it looks like it has possibilities. I would suggest you prepare a test bed by planting various metal targets including lead at various depths with above ground strings or tags for that item and if you have access to fine iron filings you could add some of them to the ground to mimic the mineralized ground you will likely be hunting over.
The Colfax area is at the bottom of the area I've played in for many years, it is all mineralized 1849 Gold Rush country so you will be in a prime area for detecting if you think out of the box about where to hunt at, recall that the rivers were once much higher up on the mountains. Have fun and best of luck with your electronic friend...............63bkpkr

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi SunshineMiner… I’ve used the Infinium to hunt silver over here in Ontario. Our silver ores and nuggets are generally much larger than the gold we typically see posted to the forums, and this makes the Infinium ideal here for searching in more highly magnetic susceptible substrates. The links below evaluate the Infinium for silver prospecting, discuss depth / sensitivity to reasonably small targets and coil selection, so hopefully you may find some of the information useful.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...erfields-ontario-revised-february-2011-a.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...ntry-infinium-comparison-february-2011-a.html

Jim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread