Igneous errosion vs Glacial till

F

Fireball

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for some feedback on 2 issues before I get started into any serious equipment purchases. Thank you in advance for any information you are able to provide.

The area I'm thinking about prospecting is a combination of pluton and glacial till in easter Ontario. There have been several gold mines in the area over the last 130 years or so, but the geology is very inconsistent, as a result there are very few concentrated veins, the gold is sort of mixed up everywhere, though mostly at the surface. Very few of the mines recorded success at depth greater then 40', from my understanding. So my first question is, would you be more inclined to prospect areas of glacial till, or areas of errosion at the bottom of creeks and streams running through faults/cracks in the pluton. Obviously cheking both would be the best option, but I don't think I will have that much time.

The 2nd question is, does anyone have experience with either a spiral panning wheel or a Blue Bowl, or both. If so, which do you recommend in terms of effectiveness and ease of use.

Thanks very much,

Fireball

Upvote 0
P

parttime_miner

I not familar with "pluton" but my suggestion is to goto the creek.
Because the creek has already been working at concentrating the gold out of the "tons of" dirt for many years, and that way you wont have to!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, blue bowls work, but they are slow, and it takes quite a bit of fiddling to get them running just right. I saw a fellow that put cow magnets on the sides (outside) and that grabbed a lot of that troublesome black sand that always slows down the process.

All the best,

Lanny in AB

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I used a gold hound? spiral wheel a long time ago. It produced a good gold concentrate ratio(gold versus black sand). That was the only thing I liked about it. As Larry mentioned it was very slow- hand feed. You had to watch it all the time too. If one of the water holes got plugged up with debris black sand would migrate up the wheel and ruin your concentrate. So I had a dental pick which I used to unclog the water holes. Probably works best with classification. It is limited to what 150 mesh gold?- some folks say 200 mesh.

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions