Need opinions on best prospecting vlf for the $$

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... on its way.

First outing today for 2 hrs in a trashy garden. Picked up two 50 yr old Canadian coins (quarter and a penny) in deep all metal mode showing non ferrous.... ok so far. On the other hand this detector has a flimsy, cheap feel to it despite not expecting heavy duty at that price. The "lid" for the battery compartment I believe would embarrass even "made in China". However, time will tell. My previous detector was a Whites TDI... very tank like. Had I not had such a good offer ..would have kept it. My bro has a Fisher Gold Bug 2 and the GB pro. I am sensing a bit of regret I did not go the same way.

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This link may be helpful; (deleted by mod for rule violation, can't link to other treasure forums).

There is a guide out there I found helpful. Do a google search for "Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors"

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't part from my Gold Racer. With It's sensitivity it will pick up anything I would want to keep. I keep a paper thin #9 bird shot that I filed down and glued to a poker chip for when I'm out in the field for testing, and it picks it up just fine. I'm no expert at finding nuggets with it but my confidence in the machine and its ease of use keep me from buying another vlf.[/QUO

Looks like Gold Racer for me too. Sent GM 1000 back to seller. Found much the same probs as shown on recent youtube vids.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for your input. thats valuable information. sorry to hear the gm 1000 wasnt what you expected it to be.

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for your input. thats valuable information. sorry to hear the gm 1000 wasnt what you expected it to be.

Yes... you are welcome. In my neck of the globe (British Columbia) Vancouver Island rain forest there is lots of variety on search ground from not vegetated to everything in between to old growth forest and rocky, craggy, sandy beaches. You are going to bump into "stuff" constantly getting a continual coil response to the point of frustration in using this detector. I think this one has got to go back to the drawing board. There are some "quality" issues in my view including the battery compartment which (perhaps my unit defective) that required undue force to close it. There are 2 little plastic "bits" on the locking part of the compartment that I know will wear to the point of repair..... OTH there are good reviews for this thing out there but I think overall you must filter some of which you see. Unbelievable hype, glossy pics and etc... from the corporate side.

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes... you are welcome. In my neck of the globe (British Columbia) Vancouver Island rain forest there is lots of variety on search ground from not vegetated to everything in between to old growth forest and rocky, craggy, sandy beaches. You are going to bump into "stuff" constantly getting a continual coil response to the point of frustration in using this detector. I think this one has got to go back to the drawing board. There are some "quality" issues in my view including the battery compartment which (perhaps my unit defective) that required undue force to close it. There are 2 little plastic "bits" on the locking part of the compartment that I know will wear to the point of repair..... OTH there are good reviews for this thing out there but I think overall you must filter some of which you see. Unbelievable hype, glossy pics and etc... from the corporate side.

Are you sure it wasn't manufactured in China

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would think ....
Just curious did you get yourself the GR or still deciding? Take a look at Steve Herschbach review on it if you haven't already. That dude has pretty solid advice. He's very knowledgeable when it comes to finding gold with a Detector.

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious did you get yourself the GR or still deciding? Take a look at Steve Herschbach review on it if you haven't already. That dude has pretty solid advice. He's very knowledgeable when it comes to finding gold with a Detector.

Hi GR.... I just ordered a Macro Gold Racer. This was the detector I was about to order when I mistakenly bought into the BS ad claims by Minelab for the GM1000.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread