Need opinions on best prospecting vlf for the $$

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makro Gold Racer
Teknetics G2
Garrett AT Gold
Fisher Goldbug Pro
Whites GMZ
Tesoro Lobo Super Trac

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More to ad to the list!
Just looking for the best one for the money

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Makro Gold Racer
Teknetics G2
Garrett AT Gold
Fisher Goldbug Pro
Whites GMZ
Tesoro Lobo Super Trac

I've had most of these machines and have found gold with them all. If I was forced to choose only one; it would be the Teknetics G2 or Fisher F19 (same electronics just different rod)

Why?....easy to use, tough, dependable, sensitive to small nuggets yet handles mineralized ground better then most prospecting vlf's.

The detectors from Turkey can be quite good but quality control has been inconsistent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the f19. It's light weight and read somewhere it is basically a GBpro with some added features. Thx

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
I don't recommend multi purpose machines for nugget hunting, get a dedicated machine for nugget hunting only is my advise.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two cents. Get a detector that specializes in prospecting and there are a number to chose from (and lots of opinions). Then use it for your other purposes too. If you get a coin/jewelry detector, you will not be happy when you try prospecting with it.

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both the gold bug 2 and the gold bug pro DP. The GB2 is a great prospecting VLF detector, but if you're going to a park to look for coins, good luck. It's really only good for prospecting. The GBP on the other hand is a dual purpose, and very user friendly. Has auto ground-balancing, disc mode and all metal mode. I use it when I stay in the city to hunt parks and schools. Finds lots of silver/gold rings, coins etc. Soooo, that being said: you mentioned a "dual-purpose " so my vote would be the GBP. It's not a sensitive as the 2, but it will still find partial gram nuggets. Ive found gold with both. Good luck. Sorry for the long response ;) price on both retails about $700 or so. Got both mine under $400 slightly used

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After much debate and Lot's of research I ended up with two detectors.
Both vlf dual purpose. I'd rather be nugget hunting 90℅ of the time but 10℅ will be more like it.
I got a Nokta fors gold plus and a tesoro lobo supertramp. The tesoro was to good of a deal to pass up and I have always wanted one. It will make a great back up detector.
If anyone interested in meeting up on one of the gpaa gold claims out west I'll be free next spring

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not to knock anyone else's opinion, but in my opinion (and that's all it is), the new VLF's that are dual-purpose machines have a dedicated gold circuit that works exceptionally well for finding nuggets; with their coin circuits they really are like two detectors in one housing. I would say that the coin circuit is the one that's a downgrade from a regular coin machine, but at least the dual-purpose machines will still easily find coins; they just lack a lot of the bells and whistles of a dedicated coin machine. However, the gold circuit has one function, and that function is dialed in! (Speaking specifically of the Gold Bug Pro) As for dedicated VLF machines, I know a guy that's found pounds of gold with his Gold Bug II, but it lacks all of the modern advantages I love in the new machines, and it's got a far greater learning curve to boot. So, for a guy just starting out, I'd buy a Gold Bug Pro in a heartbeat or one of the other good dual-purpose machines as you have done.

Have fun learning, and eventually if you're in the right spot, you'll get that coil over some gold, but at least in the meantime you'll be able to log lots of hours practicing the art of metal detecting by finding coins to hone your targeting and recovery skills, fundamentals which will always help while out chasing nuggets.

All the best,

Lanny

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should have bought the 705. I am currently writing a book on gold detecting, and after that is out, I will be writing a book on gold detecting with the 705. This detector still is amazing me with what it can do to find both gold nuggets and coins, and I have had mine since 2009.

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should have bought the 705. I am currently writing a book on gold detecting, and after that is out, I will be writing a book on gold detecting with the 705. This detector still is amazing me with what it can do to find both gold nuggets and coins, and I have had mine since 2009.
The fors gold plus seems like it was a good choice so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Out of all the reports that I've read the Nokta handles the mineralized soil the best and still has good depth out of the vlf machines.
And prospecting was what I bought it for

Last edited:

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
both Fors plus and Gold racer are great gold detectors. having the isat adjustment to use in bad mineralization really sets them apart from other detectors in all metal mode. they both are great coin/relic detectors aswell.

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Goldseeker , so you have had the same 705 since 09 That's saying something. I wish I could have talked to you first before buying but so far the nokta has been an easy learning curve for me for being my first detector.
How sensitive is the 705 with the higher frequency coil is it your primary nugget detector?

bchopeful

Jan 26, 2012
Lillooet, British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know, an old thread, but I wanted to add my minimal exp to this thread. I owned the goldbug Pro and now own the Garrett AT Gold. The Garrett ATG picked up a 6 grain and 8 grain flake so I know beyond a doubt that it does find gold. I am biased with that machine as I didn't find anything with the goldbug pro, but that is most likely due to not spending enough time on that machine. Like anything, you need to spend days and days to find gold sometimes. I haven't used my AT Gold for coin hunting yet, but from reviews it appears to be a good unit for that as well. Its something that I plan on trying.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
how big is the gold in the area you are prospecting? if its bird shot size and smaller i would say gold bug 2 is the winner. larger than bird shot gold bug pro is time tested and proven winner also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread