GPAA questions for y'all

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any info at all would be helpful.
Just received a 3 yr membership along with my Nokta detector and was hoping for some codes of ethics and personal experiences with the claims.
I'm willing to meet up with any members out west for some gold detecting on these claims. I live in Texas but will take off a couple weeks in the spring of 2017.
I've been to Havasu and And prospected in CA before. I wouldn't mind sniping or slucing either.
Thx for reading

Upvote 0

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about their claims. What I've been reading mostly says you got to go off the beaten path with most of the group claims. I guess there is always the option to go into recovery mode searching for a lost cache on any claim in the end. Getting out there and playing with a new toy will be somewhat fun either way.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/511075-gpaa-worth-joining-2016-a.html

They most likely have some decent claims. Guess researching the claims/area is a must. Probably the harder to get to ones are less worked.

Many treasures besides gold are lurking in the ground waiting to be discovered. An old coin could be worth 10x it's weight in gold.

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GPAA is a worthwhile organization to belong to. Most clubs the GPAA included , the claims are given to the clubs by members, although many of the claims have very little gold to be found unless you dig 30 or 40 feet down (pick and shovel only) all the claims are in gold bearing areas. On 2 claims I know of here in Arizona there are guys camped out almost full time, it may not be much if you watch the shows like "gold Rush" but the guys are pulling in between 1 - 2 oz per month. If you do not have a job it pays the bills.
It is hunting season here now, on the last outing in Arivaca I got skunked with my metal detector, but while loading up the quad, a hunter dropped by and we talked. He lives about 2 hours north of me, and goes to claims mostly in the Prescott area, he had lots of pictures of gold he has found with his metal detector , all on club claims.
There are many local chapters of the GPAA and they will have monthly meetings, monthly outings, and usually have 2 or more overnight outings per year. its a great way to get to know people with the same interests.
I'm in Tucson if you ever drop in.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A friend of mine joined gpaa a few years ago and he wasn't impressed at all. He did a fair amount of travelling and group meets and digs but they never found more than a speck or two.

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GPAA is a worthwhile organization to belong to. Most clubs the GPAA included , the claims are given to the clubs by members, although many of the claims have very little gold to be found unless you dig 30 or 40 feet down (pick and shovel only) all the claims are in gold bearing areas. On 2 claims I know of here in Arizona there are guys camped out almost full time, it may not be much if you watch the shows like "gold Rush" but the guys are pulling in between 1 - 2 oz per month. If you do not have a job it pays the bills.
It is hunting season here now, on the last outing in Arivaca I got skunked with my metal detector, but while loading up the quad, a hunter dropped by and we talked. He lives about 2 hours north of me, and goes to claims mostly in the Prescott area, he had lots of pictures of gold he has found with his metal detector , all on club claims.
There are many local chapters of the GPAA and they will have monthly meetings, monthly outings, and usually have 2 or more overnight outings per year. its a great way to get to know people with the same interests.
I'm in Tucson if you ever drop in.

Sounds good I'll be out in April to do some detecting

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine joined gpaa a few years ago and he wasn't impressed at all. He did a fair amount of travelling and group meets and digs but they never found more than a speck or two.

Where ever you go, if you use a metal detector you can't be afraid to do some walking. If you use a drywasher same thing applies, sample, move, sample move. If you think that just driving to a location and stepping out of your vehicle is going to put you in a honey hole, you have to change your thought pattern. my sxs will put me closer to good areas, but my wife usually screams "don't go up there" she does not like being on 2 wheels.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AMRA is the club to belong to now. Twice the membership cost but 10x the gold from their claims, VERY GOOD CLAIMS! Hate to say it but the GPAA is on life support these days. Maybe they will survive....time will tell.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for a small local yokel NON AFFILIATED club and skip the costs/bs/politics. Locals have the local knowledge of who,what and where and that paves your way out of newbieland and into profitability much faster. You'll meet some of the nicest folks you can imagine and NOT be beholden(pocket picked/hyped) and you matter much more-John

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GPAA and the GPOC (Gold Prospectors of Colorado) claims here in Colorado have a lot of gold, not a lot of big nuggets, but all the fine gold that you want.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread