Fors Gold Question

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a For Gold MD that I have trouble running in all metal. With the sensitivity set high the target id will start to roll through numbers. The sound doesn't change, but the id is worthless. I sent it back to be repaired. I did not send the box, just the display handle. It still does it. I have checked to make sure the connections from the coil to the handle and from the box to the handle are secure. If I turn down the sensitivity I can I can get it to work right. At 75-80 unstable, at 50 ok. Is his normal or does my machine have a problem? At high sensitivity it is not to noisy to run but no id. I have been running in boost mode but the ground doesn't talk to me and I feel that I am losing depth. Has anybody else had this problem?

Upvote 0

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fors gold +. If I set the sensitivity too high (past 65) it chirps so much it is impossible to find anything. I find it best to leave it no higher than 50 here in southern AZ.
Depending on what you are looking for is what mode you need to use. The fors gold is a great relic machine in BST or FST mode, The Gen mode is best for prospecting.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I adjust sensitivity until it chirps than back off till it stops. Sometimes it may end up at 50.
I always adjust my threshold first. Today I noticed after swinging over a target I had the sensitivity and threshold a little to loud, but it was running smoothly. After I lowered the sensitivity and threshold and swung back over the same target I got a much much stronger signal I was surprised. Sometimes you might have multiple targets in one swing like 10 or more the 5" round will really help separate them. watch the numbers closely and listen to the sounds at the same time, and dig everything in the beginning. This will familiarize you with the machine. Sometimes putting the isat at 5 will help settle the machine down as well, all this will take away some depth it's part of the trade off.
The machine always shows Id numbers regardless what the sensitivity is set at. It may bounce arnd like crazy when I'm hunting in a campground due to multiple targets in one swing, but I always have numbers. just turning the machine off and back on again will help settle it down as well. Try manually ground balancing too. I like hunting in gen mode with the 5" coil. Hope this helps

Last edited:

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello dano

I'm not sure which detector you have. original forsgold, or newer fors gold plus. anyways, it has been awhile since I ran a original fors gold, but if I remember right, the sensitivity starts out around 50. in all metal mode. I use to run mine around there and maybe a little stronger at certain times. I would start at the default sensitivity setting and turn up the volume all the way. then adjust the threshold till you hear just a light steady humming. you can try different threshold settings, higher and lower on a tiny piece of gold or lead to get the best setting for that size then bigger targets will be good too. one tough thing with an original fors gold is trying to keep it running smooth in all metal at most mineralized places. the threshold doesn't want to stay very smooth because of it blanking out because of the minerals. if I remember I use to turn up the threshold higher where it was pretty strong. it would help it stay smoother. you can test it out on a tiny target to see if you can still hear it well. too high of threshold will make the target response disappear some. I use to run mine in boost mode a lot and it did very well. I use to run the sensitivity at anywhere from 75-85, and id filter I would turn down from 10 to whatever wasn't too chattery. turning down id filter some reason seems to help it sound off better on tiny gold. boost mode still does have amazing depth and sensitivity on tiny targets. as mentioned earlier, if you feel you are having a tough time with the ground and junk targets, you should try the little 5" coil if you have one.
the newer Fors Gold Plus has an ISAT adjustment that really helps it run thru mineralized areas while running in all metal mode. I use it all the time on my Fors Plus. I have checked the higher and lower settings of ISAT on dozens of in ground targets that were very faint and ive yet to notice any loss of depth at a high ISAT setting of 10{max}. anyways best of luck with your Fors Gold.

OP
OP

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. Will try to get out again before the ground freezes but winter is coming fast. Will look for a 5" coil. Has anybody tried the smaller coil in old mines? I wonder how it would do on hard rock gold?

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the 5" coil would do fine in old hardrock mines. but be careful. personally I think the 10x5.5 dd coil can find gold almost as small as the 5". the little coil is good if your just begging. it helps you to learn pinpoint and isolate targets easier. I have some fors gold videos on my youtube channel-- fors gold adventures. maybe they will help. the number one thing to finding any gold is location. you have to be where gold is and is shallow enough for the vlf detector. I find gold pretty much everytime I go because I did extensive research and walking around and looking at old timer diggings then trying them to find what they missed. then I usually find some virgin patches that the old timers didn't find.
good luck

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the 5" coil would do fine in old hardrock mines. but be careful. personally I think the 10x5.5 dd coil can find gold almost as small as the 5". the little coil is good if your just begging. it helps you to learn pinpoint and isolate targets easier. I have some fors gold videos on my youtube channel-- fors gold adventures. maybe they will help. the number one thing to finding any gold is location. you have to be where gold is and is shallow enough for the vlf detector. I find gold pretty much everytime I go because I did extensive research and walking around and looking at old timer diggings then trying them to find what they missed. then I usually find some virgin patches that the old timers didn't find.
good luck

I watched your YouTube vids just not to long ago. there just isn't a whole lot out there about the fors gold being used in the goldfields. I noticed the manzanita in your vid and thought I bet he's in CA. What headphones are you using with the fors gold+?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread