Nugget found in the most unlikely of spots

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250, Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have found what I think is my first Gold nugget today. Found on a small playground beneath the mulch, was a very dull looking "rock" that was coming up as metal with my pointer. It was unusually heavy too. I pocketed it and kept moving not thinking much of it. After some cleaning using the salt & vinegar method and having to brush the rest of the residue off with a soft abrasive sanding block, the color was revealed. It is weighing in at about 1.8 G.

I still am having a hard time understanding this find...

20161130_144559.jpg

20161130_144405.jpg

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not shiny enough to be gold in my opinion.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe some kid got his gold filling knock out...he should have ducked, that's if it is gold:occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. With the look of it, it is also possible it is a tiny meteorite. There is a lot of gold near Charlotte, but meteorites are everywhere. Do a specific gravity test and that will either quickly confirm or rule out gold. You'll need a small scale, something to put a little water in and a string to do it. (And some math.)

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have hot rocks that look like that here. More brown sometimes. See if it is magnetic.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your images are too crisp. There isn't really any guessing room left on the table. :)

Has density going for it.

Non metalic?

Looks somewhat like rose gold .

Last edited:

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like gold to me. If it's not magnetic hit it with a hammer and see if it is soft.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be either a nugget of copper or gold mixed with copper. It's the copper that gives gold the pink color. So it's a lower grade if you melted it down but as for a nugget, it rocks as is and the pink color gives it some distinction :) Definitely a keeper.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply walk into any pawn shop and tested for absolutely free whilst you wait a minute for a definitive answer and no conjecture or hazard of playing with dangerous chemicals-work smarter--not harder-John

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I look forward to the update on this one Joe.

If it is a nugget... big congrats!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weight for that size is about right.....Maybe somebody spread some ones ashes and forgot to classify first:icon_scratch:

Like John said the asiest way would be a jewelry store. Can you take more pics in different light.

DO NOT HIT IT WITH A HAMMER!!

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a story I heard from a customer who came into my prospecting shop in Mariposa a few years back. He showed me a 4 gram gold nugget he wanted me to verify if it was real. At first glance I could tell it was the real deal, nice and worn smooth by water 4 gram nugget. I asked him what area it came from, and he said I would not believe it, but continued with the story. Said he was on the California central coast on a beach with his son playing and exploring the tide pools when he got glimpse of yellow coming from a crack in the rocks in the tide pools. He took out a small pocket knife and pulled it out from the crack. So if you're on the Central Coast, be on the lookout for California gold nuggets !!! True Story.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like gold to me. If it's not magnetic hit it with a hammer and see if it is soft.
Brilliant.....:BangHead:

I really do hope your being sarcastic....If you are I missed it....:tongue3:

OP
OP
High Etiquette 009

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250, Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this one verified last night by a jewelry to NOT be gold. Oh well, still makes me wonder what kind of metal it was.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Some years back my wife and I went to see her cousin by marriage at her PT business in Sac. California and she asked me to see what I thought of what one of her patients gave her and she dropped something into my hand and by the weight of it I knew it was a BEAUTIFULL gold nugget! about 2 OZer. She had NO IDEA what it was ,other than being a pretty "rock"! She had it on a window ledge above her desk. I told her that nugget of gold would enable her and her husband a great weekend! I don't know what she ended up doing with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread