Why Metal Detect (when there is Dirthogg Paydirt)?

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won a 1 lb bag in a contest and bought a 2 lb bag of Dirthogg Paydirt.

There was a nice nugget under the label on the 2lb bag. There was also a surprise aqua marine gemstone inside. Kids panned out both bags this afternoon and accumulated a really nice pile of gold and platinum. I took a video of the fun and will post shortly. In the mean time, here is a pic of the haul

(PS I will still metal detect):

Gold from 3 lbs of Dirthogg PayDirt.jpg

Upvote 0

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, then again, Why go fishing when you can buy the fish at the store? It's all in the hunt that makes the found gold more precious :)

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, then again, Why go fishing when you can buy the fish at the store? It's all in the hunt that makes the found gold more precious :)

Why do I go fishing if I'm just going to throw them back anyways? Guess it somewhat enforces your statement.

Paydirt does tend to somewhat soothe ones itch/craving in times of need. Depending on one's distance and free time to take the adventurous route it might be the only current option.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I won a 1 lb bag in a contest and bought a 2 lb bag of Dirthogg Paydirt.

There was a nice nugget under the label on the 2lb bag. There was also a surprise aqua marine gemstone inside. Kids panned out both bags this afternoon and accumulated a really nice pile of gold and platinum. I took a video of the fun and will post shortly. In the mean time, here is a pic of the haul

(PS I will still metal detect):

View attachment 1404019

Well Placergold... that looks like a nice little haul... and I'll bet it was lots of fun for everyone. It's another aspect of the hobby and I think it is all good. Hurry along with the video will you please... Jo would like to see it too. BTW how much per bag?

Jim.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won the 1 lb bag in a contest. I think it would have cost $29 USD. I bought the 2 lb bag for my daughter for Christmas and it was $89 USD. The surprise result is I think I now have a new prospecting partner - Amy's boyfriend is keen to go metal detecting and prospecting.

Here is the video of our fun:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I won the 1 lb bag in a contest. I think it would have cost $29 USD. I bought the 2 lb bag for my daughter for Christmas and it was $89 USD. The surprise result is I think I now have a new prospecting partner - Amy's boyfriend is keen to go metal detecting and prospecting.

Here is the video of our fun:

Placergold… thankyou for posting the video, it was entertaining for us so no doubt it was oodles more fun for you folks. Jo and I watched it twice to figure which bag you were panning and take note what you were finding in the pan. We are going to order both a one lb and a two lb bag, mix them together and divide ‘em into three equal portions.

We host what we call “family night out” dinners either weekly or every two weeks for the extended family residing in the area, and I thought this might be a good entertainment idea… something different and fun on cold winter nights. After dinner, clear the dining room table, cover it with plastic and provide some handy towels, and put our pans and sieves to good use.

Fill the big tub with nice warm water and oversee the panning as you did. Let the little grandchildren poke around for the pretty rocks and the older girls can share the rest.

I’ve already got an order in with ol’ Santa for a two lb bag next Christmas! :)

Jim.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothin' quite like the fun of family pannin'!

All the best, and thanks for the video,

Lanny

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
DirtHogg is out of Canada, but from EVERYTHING I've heard, it truly is amazing!! However, I also ran across this site recently. Keep in mind that when this guy is talking about ROI (Return On Investment), he doesn't figure in the purity of the gold or how much work goes into refining the different gold portions. However, there appears to otherwise be a lot of great info here:
LynchMining.com (Reserve Black Label Paydirt) ? Gold Paydirt Reviews

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Several years ago I purchased some raw, unseeded Dirthogg paydirt. When it arrived I found that the bag had been inspected/sliced open (I think I remember by U.S. Customs?) then taped closed....Current U.S. purchasers be aware since the bags may be subject to inspection and there may be/have been a bonus nugget under the label! As I recall, the value of the resulting gold panned from them was less than the shipping costs. Not a knock as I did not expect much more and, as in all paydirt purchases, do not expect to recover your expenses though it is documented that with some purchases you may. It all looks pretty in a vial.

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been buying pay dirt from Dirt Hogg for about 3 years. Usually we buy a bag or two in the middle of Winter, so we have something to pan while we wait for Spring. My son and I have always been happy with the results.
Their website advertises "...every 5th bag will be a bonus bag...", and I wanted to tell all of you that these bonus bags exist. I got one last year and it had extra gold in it: 08ZQCie.jpg

I've even kept track of how much gold (in grams) was in each bag, so if you're interested in some data I could dig it up and share it. Basically my rule of thumb was that we'd get an amount of gold that would equal 50% of the cost of the bag in gold value @100% purity and at about $35/gram (i.e. the $89 bag would have about $45, or 1.3 grams, worth of gold). The bonus back had about 100% (i.e. if it was the $179 3-pound bag it had about $179 worth of gold).

- Brian

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
brianc053.....Were your bags opened for inspection?

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They were not opened. They came sealed, from Canada. And I remember the outside package had "mineral sample" somewhere, probably for customs purposes.
One other endorsement for Dirt Hogg: I recently asked my son (now 13) what his favorite pay dirt was (he has done A LOT of panning already in his short life) and he said Dirt Hogg.
- Brian

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim - when you pan out your Dirthogg with the family, I would suggest having some glass vials for them to put their gold, a jeweler's optic to inspect some of the larger quartz and green rocks - both had gold. I did not need a magnet for the black sand. The 1lb bag had quite a bit of small red garnet that was easy to pan away (my daughter thought the garnets were interesting). Lastly, a suction bottle for the fine stuff. I am sure that you will have fun.

ProspectorBill

Jan 12, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the video placergold. It looks like you and the kids had a lot of fun, and some nice gold and mineral samples too!

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Those garnets are excellent. Quebec?

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally watched the video. Nice little specimens! Looked like lots of fun! Not sure I would have picked out the pickers before panning. The sound of them sliding back and forth at the bottom of the pan adds to the excitement and anticipation of panning. Would be really cool if they just salted the bags with more of the little spe I men type gold....Maybe call it PayRock edition. I like natural gold but love the look of specimen gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions