Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been checking out the Macro Gold detector

Currently I use the XTERRA 705 with the football shaped DD HF 18.75 KHz coil

The reason I am looking at the MACRO GOLD is because of the 56 KHz frequency it runs in for smaller gold targets.

Would the MACRO GOLD be a better detector for what I am wanting then the 705 and I do love my 705

I do realize the MACRO GOLD is another VLF machine but I do not want to go to a PI machine

If anyone has experience with the 705 and Macro gold please give me your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAUDIGGER thank you for responding back I am going to have to take the things you stated into my decision I am in no hurry. Again i do appreciate the response

If it helps any, here are issues I have with the Fisher GB 2

1.) The coils and coil cables tend to fail with heavy use. The result will be major false signaling when bumped, to the point that you get disgusted. I have gone through 3 coils 7 years (as has my father).
2.) The Iron ID mode is activated with a switch. That switch lasts about as long as the coils. I am on my third switch. My father has had to replace his several times as well...several times with factory replacements, and then to a longer lasting switch available from Radio Shack. My Brother also has had to replace his switch, as has a friend that hardly uses his.
3.) The foam handle absorbs water and mud and freezes in the winter. The ends of mine are held together with electrical tape.
4.) The batteries are expensive (takes 2 9 volt batteries) and battery life isn't the greatest. To get equal battery life, you have to switch the batteries half way through because one battery has a higher drain than the other. Happens on all of the GB 2's that I have used.
5.) The detector is no where near even water resistant. The speaker sits on top of the box where rain enters the grill.
6.) The headphone jack tends to work eradically. Sometimes even when not using the headphones, you have to plug a headphone jack in and out a few times to restore audio. Both my GB2 and my father's has had the same issues with the headphone jack.

Please bear in mind that my comments on both detectors are based on HEAVY use, both in the brush & mountains, as well as around heavy equipment.
I like both detectors very much, I just think there is a lot of room for improvement.

I have very little experience with the GB Pro, but I noticed that the Target ID was not as stable and repeatable on small gold as the Gold Racer.
The GB Pro seemed to be constructed better than the GB 2, but didn't seem to sing out or be as "zippy" on small gold compared to the GB 2.
That is one thing I really like about the GB 2 - it's really zippy on gold (much more than the Gold Racer or the GB Pro).

Last edited:

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well not to bash the brand...hopefully they are listening to my constructive input.

1.) The headphone jack is located on the end of the shaft furthest away from the coil...what this does is put the headphone cable back where the brush will grab at it.
2.) The speaker is positioned pointing towards the ground (away from your ears) where you set the detector down.
3.) I would like a lower setting on the display backlight for detecting at night.
4.) The menus are set up such that if you were to read the different "tabs" left to right, they would be ALL METAL --> DISC MODE 1 --> DISC MODE 2
DISC MODE 2 is the most powerful mode and works best most of the time. I have to arrow PAST DISC MODE 1 every time I want to check out a signal.
DISC MODE 1 is for very heavily mineralized ground.
5.) I wish they would develop a better connection from the coil to the detector...it does have the tendency to work loose and does false signal a little more than I'd like when bumped.
6.) Isn't water proof...
7.) The coil has a tendency to false signal when bumped - more than I care for..

Overall I do like the detector and like I said...it gets used.
The coils are waterproof

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Racer is a very good gold detector. Running with an isat adjustment it can run in a very smooth all metal mode and find tiny pieces of gold.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry for my rude post. Not typical for me. No excuses, I guess was just in a pissy mood, late at night, and tired or I would not have came across that way.

So let me try to elaborate. The GB2 is higher frequency than most and will find the smallest pieces of gold, just not very deep or far from the coil. I have no experience with Makro units so can't comment on them. My experience is primarily with Minelabs and Fishers. I'm a firm believer in using and getting to know your equipment to the best of your ability, and only investing in the machine that will best suit your circumstances that you expose yourself and your detector to.

About the area you are in. For the most part the geology doesn't support the possibility of finding much for gold deposits near the current surface. Most of the area is covered in volcanic ash and mud flows. The rock you dug up that gave you a strong signal is exactly that, volcanic mudstone. It gave a strong signal because it is so much different from the surrounding soil, which is what some would term as a hot rock or even a cold rock. Chances are you could ground balance over that rock and eliminate the signal, but then the ground around it would be hot or make your detector sound off. Other rock formations that might be found in some areas out there are sandstone or possibly even limestone, mostly sandstone. Neither of which are likely to carry much in the way of gold values.

The volcanic mud/ash can be up to 4,000 feet deep in that area and likely covers some sedimentary deposits that certainly could have proper mineral values, however very little of the area is not covered in some kind of volcanic mud/ash flow. Common minerals that exist at ground level are gypsum and various salts, hence the Salt Cedars that grow in the area and cover most of the terrain.
Some other minerals found in that general area would be calcium carbonate and caliche. The area is also dotted with small cinder cones as not all the volcanic activity was from Mt. Baldy.

I obviously don't know the specific location you are searching in, however I do know the general area and the general geology. I would have to suggest that unless you have some kind of unusual geology or an area that was somehow not affected by the normal for the area volcanic flows, finding gold in nugget form is not likely. Certainly there is a possibility and certainly there could be some kind of overlooked geology that was never discovered. So I suggest some proper sampling by cleaning out any possible bedrock cracks or possible drop zones on any hard pan areas, should such exist, and do some panning and see if any gold exists before investing in another gold detector. The 2 you have should be sufficient units for finding gold should it exist in nugget form.

I hope some of this helps you. Being a long time resident of Az. and a seasoned gold detectorist, I am only trying to help you. Again, I do apologize for my previous post which was obviously rather blunt and certainly came across as rude if not arrogant. Dennis

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is for those that think there is not the possibility of no gold in the area which I live

Gold Mines Arizona Apache County
July 20, 2015 / goldindo

Apache county, so named from the Indian tribe, or perhaps immediately from the fort, has an area of 20,940 square miles, ranking second in extent. It was created from Yavapai by’ act of 1879 and curtailed in 1881 by the cutting-off of that part of Graham between the Black and Gila rivers. The county seat was originally at Snowflake, but was moved to Springerville in 1880, and to St John in 1881. Arizona Apache county is known for its broad mesas and fertile valleys, but there is a small bit of gold in this area. Microscopic particles of gold or very small specks can be found in the area of the Painted Hills.

Although divisions gold mine in Arizona Apache county AZ of the Territory have not heretofore received that attention from mining men which the richness and extent of the mineral fields have deserved, it is well known that native gold, silver, copper, lead, iron, coal, and other minerals exist throughout their mountain ranges. Their remoteness from the traveled highways, and the difficulties and cost of procuring supplies and material, are the causes which have ******ed the development of the mining interests of these counties. The streams throughout the Sierra Blanco range contain placer gold in large quantities, and have a sufficient supply of water to make mining for the metal, with proper hydraulic machinery, profitable. Although the formation in this portion of the Territory is of an eruptive character, there are stretches of the primitive rock in many places, giving every indication of containing mineral. But little prospecting has been done in Apache county; but the building of the Atlantic and Pacific railroad through its center will no doubt give an impetus to this as to all other branches of industry. “With its great coal-fields and salt deposits, of which we shall speak hereafter, no county in the Territory has greater natural facilities for ore reduction, and no portion of Arizona presents a more inviting field for the searcher after the hidden treasures.

I just thought I would make one addition. I am not sure where you got this quote, but it has many inaccuracies in it. Particularly.....
"The streams throughout the Sierra Blanco range contain placer gold in large quantities, and have a sufficient supply of water to make mining for the metal, with proper hydraulic machinery, profitable." I have no idea where this is supposed to be, but I do know it is not in Apache County. Not one reference in any of the known mineable deposits in Apache County mention gold, silver, copper, lead or any other associated mineral. Gypsum, chalcedony, petrified wood, cinders, coal, some odd unique to the area minerals I am not familiar with and some uranium prospects. Dennis, my source....

https://www.mindat.org/nearestlocs.php?lat=34.5133333333&long=-110.078333333

Last edited:
OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMPDLN apology accepted we all have our moments where we want to go off on someone I guess I was that someone for you that day its in the past,I do appreciate your suggestions.

For me even though there is a high possibility there is no gold on my property to be found its the thrill of the hunt that gets me going and who knows I might get lucky and actually find some of the yellow stuff my property is not the only place I detect but it is the main place I detect and like I stated earlier in this post I just want a newly up to date detector as my wife has given her blessings for me to purchase another one so I am going to get a high frequency detector even though I do know the two I have are quite capable just want to try something new as I have had the 705 for about 9 years and the AT PRO for about 7-8 years just want to try something new I dont do a lot of coin hunting or relic hunting but I do go to different areas within the state of Arizona that I do know are known for the high possibility of gold

I have looked at the Gold Bug detectors and a few others but have decided to either purchase the Macro Gold Racer or wait for the new Mine Lab Gold Monster to get on the market,leaning pretty heavy towards the Macro though simply because of the monster 1000 being really new and no reviews on it yet because of it not being to market yet,of coarse that could change by the time I decide to finally purchase.

But again thank you IMPDLN for the apology shows great character and its greatly appreciated.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might be good to wait. The new Minelab looks interesting and there are likely other new units to be released soon as well with other manufacturers. Dennis

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Racer is a very good gold detector. Running with an isat adjustment it can run in a very smooth all metal mode and find tiny pieces of gold.

Yes it is, I took a #9 bird shot glued it on a poker chip, filed it down "paper thin", sandwiched it between another poker chip, covered it with dirt and got a beautiful signal. I use it in the field as a test piece. If your looking for gold that's so small and won't register on a scale this is the detector. Lol

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ran a gb2 a lot few years ago. it is a great detector. but the difference between which gb2 and Makro gold racer can find the smallest gold is a toss up. both will find almost gold dust. the big noticeable difference for me between the two is trying to detect in all metal mode in mineralized areas, especially the strong areas of mineralization. the isat adjustment on Makro gold racer is an absolute jewel. you can detect tiny gold or any gold in strong mineralization with a smooth threshold without threshold blanking out like the gb2. Good luck

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are left handed...I'd pick up a couple of the different models and see how easily you can access the controls.
Most detectors are designed around the right hand thumb pushing buttons and flipping switches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread