Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been checking out the Macro Gold detector

Currently I use the XTERRA 705 with the football shaped DD HF 18.75 KHz coil

The reason I am looking at the MACRO GOLD is because of the 56 KHz frequency it runs in for smaller gold targets.

Would the MACRO GOLD be a better detector for what I am wanting then the 705 and I do love my 705

I do realize the MACRO GOLD is another VLF machine but I do not want to go to a PI machine

If anyone has experience with the 705 and Macro gold please give me your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't need another VLF like the Makro Gold if you're already using the 705 Goldpak. It will not find anything the 705 won't. Look into a used Minelab SD or GP machine. :skullflag:

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mine might be different than the rest of the bunch but it has a much more stable threshold partially due to the isat, picks up smaller low conductive targets with a stronger signal further away with a crazy fast target response. I'm comparing it to my fors gold plus. It's a small gold nugget magnet.
Did I forget to mention it's the latest and greatest vlf on the market and you can't b without one.

Last edited:

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't need a new vlf but it's just one of those have to have things. But I'm glad I did. Just have it delivered to your job so the wife doesn't find out about the obsession she might get jellous or worse yet cut you off for a week or two

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine might be different than the rest of the bunch but it has a much more stable threshold partially due to the isat, picks up smaller low conductive targets with a stronger signal further away with a crazy fast target response. I'm comparing it to my fors gold plus. It's a small gold nugget magnet.
Did I forget to mention it's the latest and greatest vlf on the market and you can't b without one.

I know you aren't nugget hunting in Texas Grump, so where do you go, and how does the LST compare to the Makro?

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know you aren't nugget hunting in Texas Grump, so where do you go, and how does the LST compare to the Makro?
They are both vlf machines and that's where it ends. After that we start comparing apples to oranges.
It's hard to compare 20 yr old technology to modern tech. I like my TSL for packing into remote areas it's great for that. It does well on silver too.

Attachments

• 1486513466820-417351432.jpg
    1486513466820-417351432.jpg
    984 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have gold here in central TX in the Llano river.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You don't need another VLF like the Makro Gold if you're already using the 705 Goldpak. It will not find anything the 705 won't. Look into a used Minelab SD or GP machine. :skullflag:

Thanks for the replies I have checked into the PI machines but am unwilling to shell out the kind of monies people are asking for their used detectors so that why i was asking about the macro gold or for that mater any others anyone feels might do what I am wanting

was thinking about the Macro gold because of its higher frequency have also looked at the Nokta Au gold but I keep going back to the macro gold

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a quick note.....the areas you are in aren't known for gold. First rule for metal detecting gold, is to look where gold has been found. The area you are in is only known for things like petrified wood. I give you a link to research Az. gold deposits. Lots of info to research and this should be done, in my opinion, before spending more money on another detector.
AZGS | Mineral Resources | Gold Prospecting

Not saying it isn't possible to locate an unknown deposit, however if there is any gold in that area, it would likely be microscopic. Dennis

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMPDLN I do know the area I live in is not known for gold but I also know gold is where you find it I also know of a couple people out in this area that has found some,with that being said and without going into too much detail about the persons I know I want to purchase a high frequency VLF to give my self a chance of not missing any if it is here if it is not here I am not to worried about it also the other reason I do not want to purchase a PI machine until I know for sure there is or is not any here if there is then I will be in the market for a PI machine.

with that being said the other reason I have been looking at purchasing a different detector is my wife has already given me the OK to get a different machine because she knows I do not ask for a lot of things I have been using the same detectors for almost 8 years now,I do love the XTERRA 705 and feel its one of the most under rated detectors on the market,I have never been that impressed with the AT PRO from the start and I am not saying its a bad detector I just do not like it,with that I have narrowed my search down to two detectors one of which is not even on the market yet and the other is the Macro Gold Racer

Thanks for all the replies to my post

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
To avoid buying old school technology nugget detectors with the same technology for decades, I would wait a bit, see what new comes out, already Minelab has released a "Monster 1000" vlf gold detector which may have some new tech, not sure, I do know its 799.99 with two coils. Also Fisher is supposed to be releasing a automatic dual freq gold detector called the CZX soon with a new form of ground balancing, and Whites has some detectors in the works as well with ground breaking tech for nugget hunting, I have been wanting to replace my Gold Bug 2 with some new technology in a vlf machine, and am waiting and watching myself. I always take a PI detector and a VLF detector with me when I go nugget hunting.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The other detector I am looking at is the new Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000 sounds like a pretty interesting detector from a couple people I have talked to

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doc is testing one in Nevada, Kevin Hoagland will be testing one in Arizona. 48kHz I think, $799.00. Neater looking than a Fisher Goldbug II, but certainly no better at grabbing small, shallow gold. :skullflag:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus is coming out with a 80khz elliptical coil but it will probably be more than you want to spend just for gold unless you plan on purchasing the Deus to replace your other machines or for other types of hunting as well.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, well you might try finding some bedrock or hard pack in a wash that you can take home and pan out. That would tell you if there is any gold there. A pan is a better tool for sampling than a detector.

Otherwise you can't get a better detector than a Gold Bug 2 for detecting fly poop sized gold, however the higher the frequency and more sensitive also means less depth.

But what do I know anyway. I've only lived in Az. 50 some odd years. I've never done any research, have never traveled around the state, or paid for multiple detectors with the gold I have found. No reason to listen to my uneducated opinion. I'm sure your area is loaded with detectable gold. You just need more metal detectors to find it.

I offer only the best of luck to you then sir. Dennis

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMPDLN why the attitude I was born and raised in the state of AZ I appreciate any and all suggestions that are given but it seems like you don't like it if anyone has a different opinion from you and that's one thing that gets me on 99.9% of the the forums if clickers don't like someones response to what they have said its like you have committed a crime and the attitudes start coming out

I for one get tired of it

Again I do appreciate any and all advice that anyone gives me I even went to the link you shared and did some reading.

When you responded to my post I responded back to you I even went back and read my response to you no where in my response do I believe did I show you any attitude but this last response you made was all attitude.

I ask you what is your issue with what I responded back to you

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is for those that think there is not the possibility of no gold in the area which I live

Gold Mines Arizona Apache County
July 20, 2015 / goldindo

Apache county, so named from the Indian tribe, or perhaps immediately from the fort, has an area of 20,940 square miles, ranking second in extent. It was created from Yavapai by’ act of 1879 and curtailed in 1881 by the cutting-off of that part of Graham between the Black and Gila rivers. The county seat was originally at Snowflake, but was moved to Springerville in 1880, and to St John in 1881. Arizona Apache county is known for its broad mesas and fertile valleys, but there is a small bit of gold in this area. Microscopic particles of gold or very small specks can be found in the area of the Painted Hills.

Although divisions gold mine in Arizona Apache county AZ of the Territory have not heretofore received that attention from mining men which the richness and extent of the mineral fields have deserved, it is well known that native gold, silver, copper, lead, iron, coal, and other minerals exist throughout their mountain ranges. Their remoteness from the traveled highways, and the difficulties and cost of procuring supplies and material, are the causes which have ******ed the development of the mining interests of these counties. The streams throughout the Sierra Blanco range contain placer gold in large quantities, and have a sufficient supply of water to make mining for the metal, with proper hydraulic machinery, profitable. Although the formation in this portion of the Territory is of an eruptive character, there are stretches of the primitive rock in many places, giving every indication of containing mineral. But little prospecting has been done in Apache county; but the building of the Atlantic and Pacific railroad through its center will no doubt give an impetus to this as to all other branches of industry. “With its great coal-fields and salt deposits, of which we shall speak hereafter, no county in the Territory has greater natural facilities for ore reduction, and no portion of Arizona presents a more inviting field for the searcher after the hidden treasures.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher Gold Bug 2 as well as the Makro Gold Racer. I could probably find about the same amount of small gold with either detector...say 2 grain to 10 grain being small.

The GB2 is pretty much a turn it on and go kind of machine. The only thing you really need to do is ground balance and maybe adjust the sensitivity level.
In my experience, every GB2 is a little different as far has how well they react to small gold. It must have something to do with how they are tuned.
My dad has an older one that makes a 4 grain piece of gold sound like a .22 case! It always gives crisp loud signals on gold.

The Makro Gold Racer has more settings, which add the ability to cherry pick areas littered with iron and doubles as a good relic machine and an OK coin machine (it does have a centering mode).
There are a few things I don't like about it, but they are not deal killers in my opinion. I have used my Gold Racer exclusively since I bought it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMAUDIGGER you mentioned there are a couple things you do not like about the Gold Racer can you tell me what things those are

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAUDIGGER you mentioned there are a couple things you do not like about the Gold Racer can you tell me what things those are

Well not to bash the brand...hopefully they are listening to my constructive input.

1.) The headphone jack is located on the end of the shaft furthest away from the coil...what this does is put the headphone cable back where the brush will grab at it.
2.) The speaker is positioned pointing towards the ground (away from your ears) where you set the detector down.
3.) I would like a lower setting on the display backlight for detecting at night.
4.) The menus are set up such that if you were to read the different "tabs" left to right, they would be ALL METAL --> DISC MODE 1 --> DISC MODE 2
DISC MODE 2 is the most powerful mode and works best most of the time. I have to arrow PAST DISC MODE 1 every time I want to check out a signal.
DISC MODE 1 is for very heavily mineralized ground.
5.) I wish they would develop a better connection from the coil to the detector...it does have the tendency to work loose and does false signal a little more than I'd like when bumped.
6.) Isn't water proof...
7.) The coil has a tendency to false signal when bumped - more than I care for..

Overall I do like the detector and like I said...it gets used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread