Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I recently picked up a Tesoro Sand Shark for beach prospecting. Got my first gold ring today!

How can I improve the value of this detector in ways off the beach? Where do PI detectors fit into gold prospecting?

Sniping in the river in the summer? Nugget shooting in the desert? Or are they limited just to the beach?

Upvote 0

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PI detectors, like Minelabs are preferred for gold detecting especially in the desert. The problem with the Sand Shark is it isn't designed for that purpose. I am no expert on that unit, but if not mistaken it has no ground balance feature. Also, if my memory serves me, I don't think that unit is known for sensitivity to small nuggets. However, even though not a unit you would necessarily purchase for that use, it is a metal detector and what could it hurt to try. Dennis

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dennis has given you some good advice on the Sand Shark. As well, I would like to add a few things.

I bought my Sand Shark years ago to detect nuggets in insane bedrock where VLF's just could not ground balance. The Sand Shark has a processor that operates to ignore harsh ground mineralization, especially salt and high concentrations of black sand, and the pulse induction feature completely ignored the mineralization in that awful bedrock I've referred to. However, as Dennis has stated, the Sand Shark will not find small gold. Nevertheless, when I got a signal with the Shark, I knew it was metal, and the bedrock I was hunting was not littered with trash, so I also knew it was going to be a meaty nugget, nothing tiny.

There were two types of bedrock it excelled on. One was a red bedrock that was hiding nuggets from VLF's and the other was a black bedrock with lots of graphite and other minerals that completely overwhelmed VLF's. The Shark ran nice and quiet over both until I got the coil over a target, and I liked that simplicity.

Compared to today's modern PI's with intricate ground balance, and numerous settings designed to allow detection of small gold with a wide range of coils designed as well to assist in sniffing out that small gold, the Shark is just not a contender. However, when I ordered it, PI's were still in their early stages of birthing, and the Minelab 2100 had just come out. The 2100 also handled the mineralization and produced a lot of nuggets on that bedrock for me, but at that time, it would not find small gold either as there were no sensitive small coils developed then. As the Shark was far, far lighter than the 2100, it was a pleasure to swing it compared to the beefy Minelab.

I've used the Sand Shark for sniping bedrock after I've dredged clean a section of bedrock, and it will find the gold in the bedrock, but once again, nothing small.

I ordered it specifically to do a job for me on insane bedrock that completely ate VLF's right up! It will still find nuggets as long as they're nothing tiny, and there are a range of coils for it now. Regardless, now that I have a highly dedicated gold-finding pulse machine with a wide range of coils and micro-processor settings, the only time I use the Shark for chasing nuggets is underwater on bad bedrock where a modern VLF won't operate.

All the best,

Lanny

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used my Sand Shark as a farm field hunter and nuggetshooter, but never found a nugget under three-grams with it. Most, like the ones pictured, were four-grams or better. It is designed for saltwater detecting and that is where it excel's. In farm fields it also does very well.

Attachments

• DesertShark.jpg
    DesertShark.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DesertShark2.jpg
    DesertShark2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 137
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 509
OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least if I take it to the river and swing it, I'll know I have a monster nugget! Haha! Summer time will have to wait! Kinda what I figured on small gold though. Just like my MXT, going to miss the small gold. Defeneteley going to look into a small gold detector as my next club in my golf bag. Maybe over the summer when I get into the mountains again.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the best with your nugget shooting!

Lanny

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lanny, always a pleasure to get advice from your copious experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread