There's always is just one more

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hi all,. yeah ,. it's been some time for me posting here ,. I have internet at the Ol' pig pen now ,. so .
Anyway ,. I'd like to tell ya'll about my latest trip out to the desert ,. look'n for a bit of Au. And maybe more about my thoughts why I do what I do,.sometimes I question it myself ?
So ,. about a month ago ,. the storms where backed up into the Pacific ,. the outlook for a full week of work was slim . In fact,. the forecast for mid-week was 100% chance of rain &snow at work . The forecast for the area where my patch I've been working the past 4-5 months ,. was fair ,. with only a small % chance of rain one day .
So,. I'm going ,. but what's the game once there ? The patch has been pounded hard with detectors ,. of several makes and modals ,. But there's always just got to be one more ,. right? The past few trips out there I've only given this area only a "tokenary" pass of the coil ,. as I pass though try'n to expand the area or find a small new "sub-patch" if there is such a thing. The detecting of this area has lead to a few spots to drywash ,. and done O.K. with this . But I knew ,. this trip it would be way to wet {and it was!!} . So,. no drywashging ? I could run the vac-pac and detect ,.. I do enjoy a bit bedrock with a vac-pac & detector ,. good times !! But even this is better done dry ,. as the clay in the cracks and seams of the rock comes off cleaner. But still maybe one of the better games to play this time ?
So,. I decided not to take the vac-pac this time ,. as I know I'd use it . This makes sense to me,. I'll explain. The fact is this patch is but a pig-in-the poke,. and that is,. there's gold there and maybe some nice stuff but maybe best gathering it up latter ,. when things dry out a bit .
Anyway ,. the last few trips out there,. I've been look'n towards the hills & canyon's in this or that direction . Going over map's & reports back ,. I came up up with the plan ,. Put my boots down into this canyon, up this hillside ,. up this canyon and along this ridge,. following fault/vain ,.So off we go .
Day one ,. as planed ,. set camp,. which wasn't much more then parking the truck out of the wind and setting the parking brake . went down the canyon from there ,. detecting bedrock & gravel bars and the like,. in and a round quartz float when found . I followed a hillside fault back to the truck ,. and made it back about 4:30 ,. it was a long day . I played a bit looking at some vain material with a lighted 30x loupe ,. hardrock,.I know,. I KNOW not a thing about it and maybe best kept that way ,.but it does have a certain allure about it now ,. doen't it ??
Day two ,. was up early ,. didn't want to miss the show ,. had time to make the coffee ,. and still managed to get a front row seat ,. but when your 1 to 1 1/2 hr's before show-time you usually can get good seating,. and it was one of the better sunrise's ,. must say . After the show ,. down into the canyon I went,. up another ,. hitting the likely spots ,. then moving on ,. I wanted to make a hillside maybe 1 1/2 mi. out and work a ridge on my way back ,. and try to make the truck by 12:ish ,. there was some better looking ground then day one ,. but you really never know ,. do ya . So,. all's going as planed ,. made it to the truck 12:?? And as somewhat anticipated , I found as much gold ,. but in less time then day one ,. oh,. that's was Nada.
But,. as planed ,. I had a few hr's ,. to rake a few spots in the Ol' patch . I was at it with pick & rake for about an 1 hr. on one spot,. not as deep as I thought it might be,. but had a nice platform and a bit of stock-pile ready for when thing's do dry out,. But no nuggets . Back at the truck had bite & coke ,. and the thought maybe to just head on out ? But there was one more spot I thought I should rake out and make ready to wash,. it was a bit thicker for sure and "sandyer" {this is a real word in my world} and should be washable sooner. I headed down to it ,. started doing my thing,. and just wasn't feeling it,. I even had myself convinced it best just throw it all trough the drywasher latter. So ,. there I was giving the ol' patch the tokenary swing of the coil on my way back to the truck,.my ass drag'n not so far behind,. but dragging all the same . I hit a small bit of iron ,hmm? I made about another 10 ft. got another signal ?nice soft wider one, good signal ,.popped this .62 gram out . I swung the coil maybe another 10 ft. ? .. turned the detector off,. Now ,.I don't know if I was feeling vindication setting in,. or that age thing again,. hard to tell sometimes?
Any thoughts ?,... Blindpig

Attachments

• DSC01558rs600x450 - Copy.jpg
    DSC01558rs600x450 - Copy.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like well earned gold to me! It is good just to be out there, like you mentioned about "The Show" then when Au is found it makes it all the better. Well done..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Morning 63bkpr ,. yeah ,. I do love a old classic ,. now and then ,. shot in "Panavision" ,. and that technicolor they use,. vivid ,. but at times may not even look real . ,. Blindpig

Attachments

• DSC01531crrs1409x445.jpg
    DSC01531crrs1409x445.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 72

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, one of the best shows there is! Hollywood cannot come close to the "real thing" especially when you've got the best seat in the theatre................63bkpkr

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I enjoyed your tale of gold hunting. I liked your reference to hard-rock samples, etc. I can't claim to be even remotely considered to be an expert on ore samples myself, but like you, I've spent a bunch of time looking. Every once in a while I'll get lucky and get a piece of float, but my bread and butter is placer.

I liked your tenacity to keep going even though you'd found nothing, and it was nice to read that you finally hit one. There's nothing better than not being skunked, but from your story, I can tell you'd have enjoyed the experience regardless of whether you found any gold or not.

Hope things dry out for you so you can have even more fun out next time.

All the best,

Lanny

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Moral of the story.....never give up. Good idea to keep detecting on the way back to the camp. Gold is where you find it and sometimes it is where you least expect it. Way to persevere. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread