ManiacMike

Feb 27, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX Extreme
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi All,

Some I'm up in Oregon and I'm just starting out prospecting with a detector. I've been panning for years, but never really had the gumption to go get a detector. I was told that the ATX was out of my ball park, but I figured go BIG or stay home. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with it up here. Tips and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know of any good clubs to go prospecting/panning around SW Oregon?

-ManiacMike

Upvote 0

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
go with a Garrett AT Pro / Gold or Whites MX Sport. I'm in North Bend, Oregon. North Bend Prospector Association if your up in this area. Otherwise there are a few others groups around depending on where you're at.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends where you plan on prospecting/detecting.

You quickly learn when you get into metal detecting that your detector is a specalized tool, and no one single detector works in all conditions. the ATX is a PI detector which means you won't have the benefit of discrimination. It will be strong on your Oregon beaches which are covered in black sands if you choose o detect for jewelery, but you're going to have to dig EVERYTHING! And it's going to work that same way out of the salt water as well. I believe the ATX has a ground balance feature, but I'm not very familiar with that product, the people over on the Garrett forum under metal detecting could probably better fill you in on it's strengths and weaknesses. But you're basically going to have to dig EVERY signal gold or not. And I'm not sure how hot the ATX is on small gold.

Honestly if I was going to spend $2500 on detector, a PI detector wouldn't be my first choice for a detector. You really want something with discrimination for your first machine. Unless you're only beach detecting, a beep and dig PI machine isn't that bad on the beach because the digging is pretty easy.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You've been given some great advice so far, and as you reflect on it, you'll notice that there are some questions embedded in their comments about what you'll be using the detector for. I believe others are trying to find out what you really want your detector's purpose to be. If you're just starting out, you might find it far easier to get a VLF with the features others have mentioned. Chasing nuggets is hard, hard work, and if you purchase a machine that makes your initial trial simpler, especially if most of your gold will be smaller or in trashy areas, then I think their advice is bang on. The Gold Bug Pro, Bug II, Gold Racer, and the older tech. Tesoro Lobo will all do the job. A pulse machine shines where there's extreme mineralization or insane bedrock, but it lacks a lot of the features that make finding smaller gold not located in insane mineralization a challenge or perhaps an impossibility.

All the best with your decision,

Lanny

Last edited:

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Lanny. You want to ask yourself what you're going to use this detector for and how much you really need to spend. I have prospected for gold for years, but just over a year ago or so I got into detecting for gold. I bought a fisher Gold Bug 2 and it was a great tool for the trade and for what I wanted it for. I later ended up getting the gold bug PRO DP which is more of an "all around" or multi-purpose detector. I wanted something with a digital target ID and more user-friendly. I LOVE it!!! I've actually got into coin shooting a lot more than I prospect now because I can do that almost anywhere. I'm about an hour from California gold country so when I don't want to drive far, the GBP is perfect. And I can still prospect with it too. Absolutely a great machine and costs only about $700. Before going and buying an expensive PI detector, I'd get a cheaper VLF and learn how to use the thing first. I've known so many people that hated detecting right away because their patience level wasn't there. I actually bought my GBP from a guy who bought it new, used it twice, thought he was going to find pounds of nuggets right away and realized that was far from the case. Detecting wasn't for him, so I got a like-new detector for $350....huge loss for him. Do some research and start with an easier machine and if you like it, move up from there. I now own a total of 3 machines!! Each one has its place. They all get used. I Love it. HH and good luck!

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my Gold Bug pro with the little 5'' coil. The small coil is not so frustrating bc the pinpointing is dead on. It is a true dual purpose machine, sensitive on small gold, light weight, has silent search mode and good target id. I really recommend it. I winter in SW Oregon and am a member of the New49er's club down in happy camp Ca. Lets go goof off sometime. Also, many people don't realize that the rec section of the Rogue river is all open to the public for panning/sniping bc state jurisdiction over waterways listed as "navigable" thus no claims there. SW Oregon has GREAT potential for hard rock "pockets" but they are VERY elusive. If that is what you are hunting exclusively, The ATX may be your ticket to retirement. Let me know if you get one and if I could try it out sometime b4 buying my own.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would start off with a Whites Goldmaster. Whites Goldmaster GMT is a good one. The Whites Goldmaster II is pretty much the same detector with no fancy LCD display and a few Khz frequency different so you can use it near the GMT. The Goldmaster II should cost at least half as much used as a used GMT. These are VLF (very low frequency) detectors. If you find some good gold, upgrade to the Garrett ATX! I think it is important to have a good set of headphones to hear some of the really faint signals.

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just bought one. An ATX. Still waiting on the mail to deliver it. Gonna try it out up here in AK on known ground b4 heading down to Oregon in search of that retirement pocket.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are significant differences between anything gold master and the GMT

The GMT is digital the previous models full analog. The GMT is much easier to use and less noisy.

The AtX is pretty sensitive to small gold.It is probably the best entry(for gold) level PI you can get for the price.

A TDI is also a good choice and can be found used for great prices. You can use minelab coils too

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought one. An ATX. Still waiting on the mail to deliver it. Gonna try it out up here in AK on known ground b4 heading down to Oregon in search of that retirement pocket.

You might try searching for some float gold from lode deposits. You need to rig up some sort of bungy support like the minelabs.
Concentrate on areas known for pocket gold. Lots of skunk days and lots of walking, but when it pays off...it's usually good.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
You may want to try 'Sampling single rocks' off or away from the background as well with your ATX metal detector.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I, unlike a bunch of other posters, see that you have already purchased and own the machine. Get out and get it dirty is the best advice I can give.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread