Lapidary Saw

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had someone that does gem work, offer to cut/polish a gold specimen if I wanted.
I was waiting to find a larger piece and maybe have it sliced in half.

GOLD1.gif

This one only measures 2-3/8" long. I was thinking of either having a base cut on it, so it would sit upright as tall as possible, or cutting off that one barren side (parallel to that flat face) and have it polished to reveal some of that gold, leaving it more of a low profile presentation.

Either way, it would be reducing the size of the ore specimen...should I wait for something bigger?

Any ideas? This is something that I would hold onto, but possibly sell later...so I want to preserve or enhance the value. By the way - found with a Makro Gold Racer, 5" round coil at 8" deep. Leftovers from pocket mining.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not completely sure the quartz is hard enough to polish.
I'm thinking maybe just make a small wire kick stand that will hold it upright.

There is a better one waiting to be found.

gld1.jpg

gld2.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beautiful specimen.:thumbsup:

I agree that it may break if you try to cut it so...Wire stand and maybe mount it on a small turntable with polished dark hardwood.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not all quartz polishes up nicely! I play around with lapidary and I wouldnt slice that, gosh its pretty enough as it is.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What lionberger said. I also do lapidary. It'd be a shame to cut it, especially if you one day may want to sell it.
Sawing into a specimen is not highly regarded in my experience.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great as it is, wait for another one..more ugly on the outside but will shine inside... :)

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote would be to leave it as is. A natural looking specimen is much nicer looking than ones altered by man. Some do look better if the quartz is somewhat removed exposing veins, etc in the end.

You could also use a small piece of clay to hold it upright if needed. Probably would look cleaner than a wire kickstand in the end. Guess you could go MacGyver style and use some light colored bubblegum even.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread