Best start-up Detector for newbie?

newbAu

Aug 18, 2015
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all.

Detecting has always intrigued me. I have only used one once and it was to find my wedding ring in the snow, which I found by the way :headbang:

I would like something I can use on land and under shallow water, like small streams and rivers. Could any of you vets point me in the right direction? I would like to stay under 500$

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A completely waterproof VLF for under $500 does not exist. However for less than $800, you can pick up a Garret AT Gold which is waterproof / submersible, relatively easy to use and a very capable nugget machine.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost all detectors today have waterproof coils. As long as only the coil is underwater (and the control box above it), shallow water should not be a problem for most entry level machines.

OP
OP
N

newbAu

Aug 18, 2015
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the Garret AT gold waterproof for 550$ by my house. That looks like the best one for what I want. Thanks guys!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck to you with the Garrett AT Gold. You are gonna' like this detector.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would NOT get an AT Gold - unless you plan to hunt gold nuggets.

A Garrett AT Pro, would be the right machine for coin and jewelry hunting. You can get a used one here in the classifieds within your budget. :skullflag:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
You can save even more money with a Whites coinmaster. Mine has paid for it's self twice in the two years I have had it. Great company to deal with if you have problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread