Looking for a map of local mines

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!
I am located near the Mojave desert in Los Angeles county (Antelope Valley, Rosamond, Mojave) and there are old mines EVERYWHERE. I was wondering if anyone had access to a good map showing old mines in my area and maybe even some information on each. I was considering detecting around some of them particularly the tailings. Most of the mines from what I can tell appear to be old mines from the early 1900s and on public land. But I wouldn't mind making absolutely sure it is public land before heading out. Also, some history on the mines would be a good read :)

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone!
I am located near the Mojave desert in Los Angeles county (Antelope Valley, Rosamond, Mojave) and there are old mines EVERYWHERE. I was wondering if anyone had access to a good map showing old mines in my area and maybe even some information on each. I was considering detecting around some of them particularly the tailings. Most of the mines from what I can tell appear to be old mines from the early 1900s and on public land. But I wouldn't mind making absolutely sure it is public land before heading out. Also, some history on the mines would be a good read :)

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Check some prospecting shops in your area, or check for ones online that sell maps for your area. Some shops sell great maps showing old locations.

All the best,

Lanny

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im not sure of the web address, but they have a kml or kmz file to overlay google earth. it shows a lot of mine locations for all California. it is from USGS mining spatial data. maybe someone here knows where to download it. also try googling CDNC. it is the old cali newspapers from 1848 till now. use their searchbox on home page. type in the county that you are going to with words like "Lump or Nugget, or Rich diggings etc AFTER THE COUNTY NAME. then check out the newspaper editions. read the articles, pay attention to the locations. look them up on topo maps. then head out. Also there is a website called Minecache that has maps of most mines in cali. and also where everybodys active claims are. and closed claims. I think it cost like 30 dollars a year. not sure. good luck

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before even getting into the history you need to check on current status.

use Land Matters Maps

and trips to your county recorder to look for what hasn't made it to online sources yet.

There are a lot of claims in those areas. Learn to check for them.

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the info! They all seem like good suggestions. If I find anything worth sharing I will be sure to do so.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As posted by Mack they have the Mines and Minerals Of SB county and also Mines and Minerals of Riverside county as I sold many 100s back in the day. GREAT maps with who,what and where and also the colorized Geologic overlay in 1:250,000 format-John

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I found myself searching around on that "land matters maps" site for a few hours last night. It doesn't contain anything about the older mines here but there were quite a bit listed that I was unaware of so I was really enjoying the site!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not enough coffee yesterday. NEVER underestimate the local Historical Society, museums and library as a treasure chest of knowledge awaits-John

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If local maintenance fees were paid at county assessors, but claimant has not sent in a NOI ( Notice of Intent to hold claim to BLM by Dec 30 is the claim still valid or forfeited ?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If local maintenance fees were paid at county assessors, but claimant has not sent in a NOI ( Notice of Intent to hold claim to BLM by Dec 30 is the claim still valid or forfeited ?

Claimants have to make a public record at the County Recorders office and an informational filing with the BLM each year. If the claimants did both in a timely manner there is no reason to suspect the claim is not valid.

Whatever filings or payments were made to the county assessor have no bearing on whether a claim is legally current and valid as long as the recording and notice were made.

Heavy Pans

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Heavy Pans,

So as I understand it, the BLM requires you to file the required NOI notice of intent on time which is December 31 or you forfeit the affected mining claim or sites. So why would a claimant only file an affidavit of assessment work and pay the fee with the county recorder and not complete the NOI and pay fee to the BLM? I just wonder how many claims that appear valid at the county recorder's office are not actually valid because of failure to complete proper forms with the BLM. So actually its best to call the BLM and ask for current statues of said public land and verify if its claimed or not.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Heavy Pans,

So as I understand it, the BLM requires you to file the required NOI notice of intent on time which is December 31 or you forfeit the affected mining claim or sites. So why would a claimant only file an affidavit of assessment work and pay the fee with the county recorder and not complete the NOI and pay fee to the BLM? I just wonder how many claims that appear valid at the county recorder's office are not actually valid because of failure to complete proper forms with the BLM. So actually its best to call the BLM and ask for current statues of said public land and verify if its claimed or not.

I think you are confusing two different processes. If the claimants paid their maintenance fee by August 31 with the BLM they have completed their obligation to the BLM for the year. Maintenance fees are not paid to the County Recorder or the County assessor - only to the BLM.

Those who qualify for and have notified the BLM before September 1st of their small miner status have until December 30th (not the 31st) to file a copy of their recorded Affidavit of Assessment Work OR their Recorded Notice of Intent to Hold. Which they record and file depends on their situation. There are no circumstances where both an Affidavit of Assessment Work and a Notice of Intent to Hold are required.

There are no "forms" for either the Affidavit of Assessment Work or Notice of Intent to Hold. The only official BLM form for mining claims is the 3830-2 Small Miners Waiver which is a no fee notice. Here's a flow chart so you can see how all this works and some guidelines to the process.

The BLM can not inform you of Land Status or whether it's claimed or not. Claims are made on the ground, made public at the County Recorder's and an informational notice filed with the BLM. It may take several months before the BLM shares that information notice so there is nothing "current" from the BLM and there is no guarantee of accuracy. Each prospector is required by law to do their own due diligence before entering the land to prospect or locate. The BLM informational filings are only a small step in that process. The BLM can not and should not be relied on to tell you whether any particular area can be prospected.

Look over those materials I linked to and decide based on all the facts, including looking for stakes on the ground, whether the area you are interested in is open to prospecting. Ultimately it is your problem if you trespass on an active claim, no one from the BLM will be there to defend you.

I hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for clearing that up for me....I appreciate the knowledge you shared. I will check out the links.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread