Some Desert "Pushes" and How to work a Minelab!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That really was an interesting video!

Thanks for posting it, and all the best,

Lanny

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Terry... this was a very interesting, excellent quality video. Nice to get a firsthand look at how things are done by professionals. Thanks for posting it for everyone to see. 8-)

Jim.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Small steps... good sweep technique... but a tad too fast for me. Good video! TTC

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the reasoning for using a metal detector to capture the larger nuggets, which are difficult to separate from the pay gravel (oddly enough).

Maybe I'm not thinking about it long enough, but why detect the material for big nuggets prior to processing it? Seems like if you waited until it was processed twice and only detected the oversized material, you would have significantly less material to detect and it would have gone through enough processes to break up the cemented material. Looked like they were spreading it out afterwards anyway.

The only thing I can think of is that spreading it out is part of a weathering process.

I'm sure there is a good reason and they have already figured out the best process.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video....nice to watch it over and over again......

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand the reasoning for using a metal detector to capture the larger nuggets, which are difficult to separate from the pay gravel (oddly enough).

Maybe I'm not thinking about it long enough, but why detect the material for big nuggets prior to processing it? Seems like if you waited until it was processed twice and only detected the oversized material, you would have significantly less material to detect and it would have gone through enough processes to break up the cemented material. Looked like they were spreading it out afterwards anyway.

The only thing I can think of is that spreading it out is part of a weathering process.

I'm sure there is a good reason and they have already figured out the best process.
Spreading out the material for the detectors is a common technique in large operations. Actually, he is not spreading it out as much as he is taking off top layers to detect deeper. Is it possible the guys detecting and the operation are separate entities? The operation can simply load and work the gravels. Quicker. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions