Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree52Likes
  • 21 Post By IMAUDIGGER
  • 4 Post By smokeythecat
  • 3 Post By Aufisher
  • 7 Post By OBN
  • 4 Post By IMAUDIGGER
  • 2 Post By Kenmitch
  • 2 Post By IMAUDIGGER
  • 3 Post By RustyGold
  • 2 Post By Lanny in AB
  • 4 Post By russau

Thread: Stumbling onto Gold at Night

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2016
    650 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Stumbling onto Gold at Night

Couple years ago, I was detecting in the lower 40 acres and it began to get dark, I pulled my headlamp out and discovered the battery was dead.
    I would have continued detecting if my headlamp had been working, but instead I started hiking back up a skid road towards my truck.
    Darkness quickly settled in, but my eyes were adjusted to the darkness so I kept swinging my detector and digging nails.

Finally I could not see well enough to detect and decided it was time to quit.

I started walking quickly up the road, all the while randomly swinging my coil.

Suddenly I got a loud signal that sounded a lot like gold. The signal was about 4" down and when I finally got it separated, I could feel the heft.
    My heart jumped a little, but since it was dark, I could not tell if it was gold or a large chunk of lead.

As I walked up the road, I tried to nick it with my thumbnail and it felt hard...good sign...I walked another 10 minutes not knowing what I had found, wondering if it could be a nice nugget.

When I got to the truck, I turned the cab light on and was treated to the color of gold. I quickly popped the nugget into my mouth to clean it off and this is what I saw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1107.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	1462784

Pays to swing your coil while your walking, even if your not concentrating. This isn't the first thing I have found that way or the best.

Anybody else stumble onto gold this way?
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jun 16, 2017 at 06:01 PM.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    4664 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Like, no, not nuggets but on the last 20' of beach sand heading to the parking lot found a 18k gold and diamond ring early this year. BEAUTIFUL nugget. BANNER! It's huge.

May 2013
    The Golden State
    Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goldhound. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
    4569 times
    Prospecting
    Great story and an awesome nugget!
    I am a teacher, hydrologist, biologist and a prospector.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    4178 times
    Old Gold, New Gold, Any Gold
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That's a sweet yellow there!! Wow!! Love that Kolor! I like how you compared it to lead, there is a feel to it I agree..clunk, clunk feel in the hand.

I guess my best was a 2 carat diamond plat ring, it was so dark I could just make out it was a ring with a big stone. Had no clue, figured it was just another ocean city junk ring.. a few feet later I hit another, then another. With these I did notice the weight but being my first Platinum rings I was clueless, dropped them in my pouch and headed off the beach. A few days later I headed to Jared Jewelries.. They gave me a quick write up for just the main ring..23 to 27 grand replacement cost.

2 years later I found a 21k wedding band almost the same location, right at dusk..this one I did find the owner.
    2017 .. Gold Rings 77...........Silvers 105

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...lbums4823.html

Effort is Important, But knowing where to make an effort can make all the difference!

Mar 2016
    650 times
    Thanks guys - I loved the suspense not knowing what it was...all the while knowing what it might be.
    Sometimes when I have a situation like that...Say a really dirty coin...I prolong the suspense on purpose by waiting till I get home to have a good look.

Been disappointed many times that way.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Oct 2016
    SoCal
    X-Terra 705 Gold
    344 times
    Nice! Guessing around .75 ounce.
    Aufisher and ProspectorBill like this.

Mar 2016
    650 times
    Kenmitch, I'm sure I put it on the scale, but I don't remember how much it was.
    I won't even guess because I'm usually way off on larger nuggets.
    Surely under 3/4 ounce, probably closer to 1/2 ounce.
    Dang it - now I'll have to check.
    Lanny in AB and Aufisher like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    SoCal
    XP Deus Sovereign GT Omega 8500 Patriot
    3072 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Great story! I too have found a few good items on the way to the truck!
    "Today" is a great find!

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    3863 times
    Prospecting
    Loved the story!

That's a great one.

Thanks for sharing, and all the best,

Lanny
    Aufisher and ProspectorBill like this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    3816 times
    The first thing I found years back was a old pull tab............I still have it!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links