diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the matrix set off the detector! First piece of high grade with the detector. Found it in an alley, it is very very heavy with sylvanite going all through the piece. I took it up to the rock show yesterday and verified it was thick with sylvanite. Wish I could find more!!!! I think I would rather find this than a gold ring. Happy hunting! What would you do with a piece like this. It's about an inch and a half long. _20170618_062158.JPG _20170618_062226.JPG _20170618_062257.JPG

Upvote 0

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
id give my little bessie half, but she probably throw it in my face, just for a laugh

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sylvanite normally won't set off a metal detector. Must have been roasted in a fire to do that.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the matrix set off the detector! First piece of high grade with the detector. Found it in an alley, it is very very heavy with sylvanite going all through the piece. I took it up to the rock show yesterday and verified it was thick with sylvanite. Wish I could find more!!!! I think I would rather find this than a gold ring. Happy hunting! What would you do with a piece like this. It's about an inch and a half long. View attachment 1463140 View attachment 1463141 View attachment 1463142

Congratulations diggingthe1 on a real nice find. Iā€™m certain that I would rather find it than a gold ring!! Suggest you keep with it your other natural mineral finds, or start a collection and purchase a suitable display container to put your minerals into. Some folks may suggest it, but donā€™t even consider roasting it to create a ā€˜blisterā€™ specimen.

Iā€™m not familiar with detector responses to sylvanite but am a bit surprised it generated a signal. But then, there must be something in the matrix that produced one. No matter, it is a fantastic find that Iā€™d love to have in my collection. Again, WTG and congratulations. :)

Jim.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ecmjamsit and Jim for the posts. The piece hasnt been roasted, it's in a very metallic matrix. I would like to go to the museum and match itt to the mine it came from. The old-timers could tell what ore came from what mine. I like your idea for the display case and have the perfect one. I have acquired a small colletion of high grade and roasted pieces from around. It sure doesn't show up very often. It was sure a thrill to find with the detector. I would bet there is more gold in the piece than a Gold ring!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you took it to Hallenbeck Coin Gallery in Colorado Springs they might be able to XRF it. That would tell you the gold content by %. I think they charge $5.

https://www.hallenbeckcoingallery.com/

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like they said, nice find!

As a detectorist, prospector and rock hound, I've got to say I'm pretty jealous.... so far the only specimen I've come up with is some silver/lead ore from west of Boulder

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information ecmjamsit! I might do that. I would like to do more detecting for Gold Moose, but found this by accident on the alley up here in Victor. Hopefully I can find a large spill someday! I do find some neat specimens from the old rock gardens! I met someone who found a nice chunk of deteriorated gold rock from the mines way above alma near the top. Happy hunting!!!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard Pennsylvania mountain near Alma yielded a large nugget. I got interested because I was looking at purchasing the Orphan Boy mine near there. Too much mine drainage water for me.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the old London mine week before last picking through some of the old equipment left up there. What an Environmental mess and the EPA wants it all cleaned up along with the fines imposed upon the property... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't my name attached as a principal to any of those old operations up there anymore. The drainage from that mine will need to be treated indefinitely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread