New "Green Mojave" Gold Prospecting Coil

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• snake coil.jpg
    snake coil.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• dbar15.jpg
    dbar15.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 75

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rattle Snake stuff in NorCal Mother load country - yup they control other small critters, eat a few fish every now and then and yes when teased/tormented they protect themselves, these are the ones that have at least some sort of rattles on the end of their tails. Baby RS's on the other hand should be avoided as no rattles so now warning just a wide open mouth with fangs ready to tag an ankle or bare foot!

Most I've seen in the NFAR drainage are about 3' long, most that is. I've seen one heading into a den that was likely 6' to 8' in length. If you have never smelled Reptile Stink then you really NEED to spend 5 to 10 minutes in a Reptile shop to acquaint yourself with that particular 'fragrance'. Twice now I've been around that heavy smell and it means a LOT of snakes could be close by or the smell is being blown towards you by the wind. If you smell it then you really need to pay special attention to where you are!!

I find a long hiking stick, 6', works great to pick them up with and move them out of my way. Enjoy yourself out there in Their backyard!.............63bkpkr

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rattle

I find a long hiking stick, 6', works great to pick them up with and move them out of my way. Enjoy yourself out there in Their backyard!.............63bkpkr

A friend I used to hike and backpack with carried one too. He would bang it on the rocks before he stepped up, down, over or onto them. I find that just kicking dirt and stones at them encourages most of them to move off the trail. Every black one that I have tried that with just encourages them to move towards me (I call them attack snakes) so I usually go around them or drop bigger and bigger rocks on them until they get out of my way.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A friend I used to hike and backpack with carried one too. He would bang it on the rocks before he stepped up, down, over or onto them. I find that just kicking dirt and stones at them encourages most of them to move off the trail. Every black one that I have tried that with just encourages them to move towards me (I call them attack snakes) so I usually go around them or drop bigger and bigger rocks on them until they get out of my way.

Rattle snakes are pretty much blind. When you throw stuff at them they want to move on but they have no way of knowing from which direction the stuff that's hitting them is coming from. They aren't attacking you they are just confused about which way to move to safety. Dirt is something to hide under in snake land so you may be encouraging them to dig in rather than move on. Try the stick or your coil so you can get them started in the right direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread