Macro Gold Racer

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... had my new GR out in a steep valley/nice creek on Vancouver Island yesterday. Looked so good for gold I was expecting to see can can dancers. I could not get the GR to settle down no matter the setting. Lots of irregular threshold, chirping etc and the VDI jumping all over the scale. The creek had rocks of all kinds and colours both huge and down to gravels. I did read from posts in 2016 (not here) that some GR users had similar problems to the effect there was concern expressed over a possible defect in the unit. I am wondering that perhaps (if true) I may have purchased an older "on the shelf" unit or perhaps not and it is just a case of hot rocks etc. Is there a way to find out (model number for example) if I purchased the latest available (bugs out) detector? Thanks in advance...

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a video so we can see what your talking about and see your settings.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You'll figure it out. The vdi numbers do fluctuate more with the stock coil from my experience. The GR19 7.5x4 helped a lot with that as well as the threshold. In my opinion the GR19 should be the stock coil that comes with the machine. I'm not saying that's what the problem is because the stock coil works. Once you get the bugs worked out you'll be happy. By the way what was the mineralization reading in that area?

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have that detector, but anytime I have issues with other brands, there are a couple of things that I immediately check: 1) replace the batteries (2) confirm all connections by removing the plug and firmly re-inserting (3) remove coil cover and clean if necessary (4) if you have an alternative coil, try that one. Also, look around to make sure you are not under a power line or cell tower. Heck, make sure you don't have electronics in your pocket (VHF radio, cell phone, etc). ie. do a bit of trouble shooting. Usually, the detector is just fine. Good luck.

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have that detector, but anytime I have issues with other brands, there are a couple of things that I immediately check: 1) replace the batteries (2) confirm all connections by removing the plug and firmly re-inserting (3) remove coil cover and clean if necessary (4) if you have an alternative coil, try that one. Also, look around to make sure you are not under a power line or cell tower. Heck, make sure you don't have electronics in your pocket (VHF radio, cell phone, etc). ie. do a bit of trouble shooting. Usually, the detector is just fine. Good luck.

Cell phones will wreak havoc with some detectors, if you're not going to power it down, at least put it in a back pocket or your backpack (if your using one.) Solid advice by Placergold, if you can eliminate the varaibles he mentioned, chances are your problem will be solved. The thing with higher freq. detectors is that there almost always seems to be some touch sensitivity issues with the coils (with exception of the almighty gold bug II that you can chop trees with.)

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cell phones will wreak havoc with some detectors, if you're not going to power it down, at least put it in a back pocket or your backpack (if your using one.) Solid advice by Placergold, if you can eliminate the varaibles he mentioned, chances are your problem will be solved. The thing with higher freq. detectors is that there almost always seems to be some touch sensitivity issues with the coils (with exception of the almighty gold bug II that you can chop trees with.)
I watched a video last night and a guy was showing how to operate the gb2. As soon as he turned on the Detector you could here the interference in the video when he got the Detector too close to the digital camera

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, now we need something to tell us what the interference is so we can adjust accordingly

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, did you ever figure it out? During the startup phase it's important to ground balance in the default settings before making any adjustments to sensitivity, Isat, etc, etc. Always try lowering the sensitivity to get rid of the popping sounds before going to Isat but make sure you put the sensitivity back where it was before hand.
Disc1 and 2 on this machine works awesome hunting in disc2 you don't lose much depth at all and the machine is silent and extremely sensitive in this mode. That's the beauty of the GR and it's 56khz. If your the type that needs to hunt in all metal mode I strongly suggest g19 search coil it will tame down the beast. That machine is a keeper and in my opinion one of the best vlfs on the markets

Last edited:
OP
OP
seascene

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mineralization all the way up frequently on the rocks and less so on sandy/gravelly areas.,...Thanks....
Part of the question was about a possible defect on first release and whether or not there was a fix on subsequent units?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread