Gold Monster 1000? Good starter machine?

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is my retirement plan. Poking around for gold and other sizeable deposits of interest to larger mining companies then leasing it out is the short version. This is assuming I make it that long. That said I dont see myself physically capable of much more than sampling and detecting by the time I can actually afford everything needed. I know typically right now most folks that make a living as described use a nice PI machine. Given this is a VLF.. the 45khz operating frequency caught my eye... that's gonna pick up some awfully small stuff.

If this were your livelyhood, what machine would you rest it on? (Under $1000 please) & (Over $1000)

Thanks.

Any other "vetted" must have equipment would be appreciated too.

Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is my retirement plan. Poking around for gold and other sizeable deposits of interest to larger mining companies then leasing it out is the short version. This is assuming I make it that long. That said I dont see myself physically capable of much more than sampling and detecting by the time I can actually afford everything needed. I know typically right now most folks that make a living as described use a nice PI machine. Given this is a VLF.. the 45khz operating frequency caught my eye... that's gonna pick up some awfully small stuff.

If this were your livelyhood, what machine would you rest it on? (Under $1000 please) & (Over $1000)

Thanks.

Hi Golden Crab… I agree with the intent behind Terry’s rather abrupt comments about your retirement gold plans because he is absolutely right. Very few hobbyists can earn a living chasing after elusive (particularly detectable nuggets) gold or other precious metals. And I seriously doubt that any of them operating in the USA could pay for my typical middle class lifestyle on a yearly basis.

Most of us enjoy heading to the great outdoors to nuggetshoot and are satisfied to occasionally find some small bits here and there. On occasion someone will find something more valuable that can supplement his or her income, but that is an infrequent occurrence and certainly not the general rule for most of us. Look at what hobbyists post to the various forums, because what you see… mostly a few crumbs of very limited value… represent the vast majority of what they are finding.

As to the new Gold Monster, from what I can understand from reading the forums, it is described as an entry-level machine designed for hobbyists with simplicity and straightforward detector operation in mind. Apparently it has pretty good sensitivity to small gold, although I’ve seen no confirmation with regard to field test depths in different ground conditions to date. I don’t think it has a manual ground balance feature (you might want to double-check that) and it does not possess a threshold-based motion all-metal mode. These features enhance a detector’s prospecting capability and are normally included on other VLF gold prospecting-capable brands.

Some of the previous posts have indicated some of the equipment you would need to pursue your retirement dream. I suggest you start your adventure with a relatively inexpensive high frequency VLF prospecting-capable detector, and learn the basics of nuggetshooting first. All the very best with your retirement plans. :)

Jim.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope that gold monsters junk compared to an sdc, might as well wrap it around a tree, saw it on youtube :laughing7:

OP
OP
G

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not scolding, I'm scoffing.

The OP writes; "Gold is my retirement plan. Poking around for gold and other sizeable deposits of interest to larger mining companies then leasing it out is the short version. This is assuming I make it that long. That said I dont see myself physically capable of much more than sampling and detecting by the time I can actually afford everything needed..."

I hear and read this type of thing WEEKLY. I personally have met people that have sold their business, house, everything they couldn't fit in a camper, and headed west to make a fortune on a gold mine they "dreamed about" one night. Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid," but many of these folks aren't stupid - they are infected by gold fever, a real mental illness.

The OP - in my never humble opinion, is not being realistic. My response is a warning, filled with frustration. Vendors and dealers want you to believe you can do it so they can make money - your money. We charged $400.00-a-day to teach greenhorns how to placer mine. We taught THOUSANDS. What does that tell you? People have more money than brains when it comes to gold.

You need a good highbanker, Drywasher, Dredge, Minelab GPX or GPZ metal detector, a Fisher Goldbug II or another high freq VLF for small pickers. You need a generator, batteries, yadda-yadda-yadda, to sample areas only a helicopter can get your equipment into ($700-an-hour minimum).

If you want to screw around in your spare time nuggetshooting - Great! But if you post a wet dream, be prepared to have someone poke a hole in your condom. :skullflag:

Nothing in the unwarranted cynicism you've posted so far in my thread has been constructive. If I wanted advice as to what I should do with my time I would have asked, but I didn't. No more please.

Thanks to the folks that actually answered the questions! Cheers.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks.

"bother" with it Crab...."bother" with it all you want.

There are hundreds of claims and a lot of open ground in gold areas that have never really been pounded like you will hear.

The more you dig the more you get. A lot of people that set out to prospect for a living don't do well for a few easy to describe reasons.

#1 learning curve....knowledge and experience straighten that curve...you haven't said anything about you that makes me think you can't gain knowledge and experience.

#2 Most people who go out to set up "gold camp" spend way too much time in "gold camp"

Minus detectors you can get everything you need to prospect and sample for less than a hundred bucks.

Your least expensive option with the easiest to learn knobs and beeps is

Whites GMT and TDI for a vlf and P.I. combo seems like any craigslist near a gold bearing area has a used GMT for sale

Tesoro super lobotrac is easy to use...Garret ATX is good on small gold too.

The TDI can use minelab P.I. coils don't go for the SPP the pulse is set so it would make the coil availability kinda mute cause so have less tuning capability.

Keep in mind that the smaller the gold a machine can find...the noisier it is and more skilled you will need to decipher small crumbs from hot soil. Thats not "nugget hunting"

A gb pro is also a great option..

I've seen more great gold in the palms of people in person found with anyone of these detectors...way more than I've ever
seen on the internet.

Also be very mindful of the other rocks you can get out of the ground that can put beans in your pot.

I have no doubt you can add to or maintain your retirement prospecting...it's all about he effort you put into it.

Don't go hoping you can throw money at it however. Start with the basics. You can make gold pay for your gear.

I wouldn't focus on finding deposits to lease to others worry first about finding your pile and making it grow.

Good luck and feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever have any questions or need a line on affordable equipment.

:icon_thumright:

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
For under 1,000.00 I would recommend a VLF Gold Bug 2 machine and I would also get some one on one instruction on running it from an old timer very familiar with the machine this will cut your learning curve, its not only capable of finding small nuggets but it can also be used to chase or follow a gold vein. Few if any other detectors can do this. But I would also have a quality pi detector as well for deeper gold. The GB2 is only a surface machine, most gold found with the GB2 will be in the first 1-4 inches max. Personally I own both a Gold Bug 2 with the 6x3 coil, and also a gpx4500 minelab with a evolution 14x9 coil and a 14" round Elite coil. These hi tech new coils will get you additional depth over older equipment and give you some advantage.

OP
OP
G

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"bother" with it Crab...."bother" with it all you want.

There are hundreds of claims and a lot of open ground in gold areas that have never really been pounded like you will hear.

The more you dig the more you get. A lot of people that set out to prospect for a living don't do well for a few easy to describe reasons.

#1 learning curve....knowledge and experience straighten that curve...you haven't said anything about you that makes me think you can't gain knowledge and experience.

#2 Most people who go out to set up "gold camp" spend way too much time in "gold camp"

Minus detectors you can get everything you need to prospect and sample for less than a hundred bucks.

Your least expensive option with the easiest to learn knobs and beeps is

Whites GMT and TDI for a vlf and P.I. combo seems like any craigslist near a gold bearing area has a used GMT for sale

Tesoro super lobotrac is easy to use...Garret ATX is good on small gold too.

The TDI can use minelab P.I. coils don't go for the SPP the pulse is set so it would make the coil availability kinda mute cause so have less tuning capability.

Keep in mind that the smaller the gold a machine can find...the noisier it is and more skilled you will need to decipher small crumbs from hot soil. Thats not "nugget hunting"

A gb pro is also a great option..

I've seen more great gold in the palms of people in person found with anyone of these detectors...way more than I've ever
seen on the internet.

Also be very mindful of the other rocks you can get out of the ground that can put beans in your pot.

I have no doubt you can add to or maintain your retirement prospecting...it's all about he effort you put into it.

Don't go hoping you can throw money at it however. Start with the basics. You can make gold pay for your gear.

I wouldn't focus on finding deposits to lease to others worry first about finding your pile and making it grow.

Good luck and feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever have any questions or need a line on affordable equipment.

:icon_thumright:

This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to see in here! Thanks m8.

I should mention ergonomics are a big factor for me when factoring in overall productivity... always more productive when more comfortable. Weight is a factor, I am 5'3" and 120lbs, and while I am a tenacious ******* physics does let me know when I've put too much on my back as going up a hill ends up going the other direction xD

Still debating ranger vs quad? I'm leaning towards a ranger as I can hookup a solar electric back up system / charging utilizing the roof and having a boot to haul whatever I need to around seems way too good to pass up. Oh and shade. :coffee2:

I figured the GM would be nice in trashy areas if its discrimination does what it was designed to do, though I dont plan on spending much time in trashy areas... gold is where you find it so.. :dontknow:

Last edited:

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All that info is well and good for a hobbyist. But you say in your original post that you expect to find sizeable deposits of interest to a larger mining company to lease out. This is why you got the response from Terry that you got. Let me elaborate a little. That comment alone says a lot about your intentions and level of experience. You are certainly dreaming if you think you will find a deposit that a large mining company would want to lease from you that easily. I will say the odds are severely against you, like 20 billion to 1 that this will ever happen. Lots of guys out there have valuable mining claims, and no mining company knocking on their door to lease the claim to mine. Mining companies find their own ground, claim it, obtain permits and eventually work it, in theory. Sometimes they might sell all or part of the property to another company or even lease some of it out, but they don't typically lease property from individuals.

Now as far as metal detecting for gold as a hobby, I say go for it. Just don't go into it with unrealistic expectations. Finding gold with a metal detector ain't easy and it's not for just anybody. Many try and fail. It requires much more than just buying a metal detector and going for a walk to find gold. It takes dedication, devotion, research, strong will and physical dexterity. Fact is it ain't easy, period. A man better be properly outfitted and prepared for hard travel into desolate country way off the beaten path. Survival skills are certainly a requirement. S**t happens in an instant out in the middle of nowhere and self rescue is certainly a constant possibility.

All that being said, there are many viable choices out there for a startup metal detector that will find gold. However it's not really that simple either. You really need to know something about the area you intend to be looking. Is there course detectable gold to start with? How heavily mineralized is the ground? How deep is the gold in the area, if there even is any. Shallow ground with plenty of exposed bedrock which has course detectable gold is easily worked with most any VLF detector designed specifically for detecting gold. Deeper heavily mineralized ground typically requires a PI detector to have any reasonable expectation of success. You also have to think about what you as an individual can realistically afford. Good VLF machines can start at about $500 new for a Gold Bug that Cabelas sells that is fairly simple to learn and capable of finding gold, in the right circumstances. Higher end machines that punch deeper and handle higher mineralization, like PI machines, start at about $2,000 dollars or a little more and go up to about $8,000 for the latest and greatest Minelab. All of which have a "sweet spot" where they excel over other units in the right conditions. Some, like the Gold Bug2, find the tiniest of fly poop, but don't handle heavy mineralization well or punch very deep. Any of the Minelab PI or the high end GPZ7000 will punch deeper and handle mineralization much better than any VLF. They don't typically find fly poop gold, but can find fairly small pieces of gold in the hands of an experienced operator.

The fact is there are so many variables to consider. I highly suggest you do more research before you spend your money. When you decide to buy, keep within your budget. Most people give up before they ever find gold. Those of us that succeed have spent many thousands of hours doing research and boots on the ground in the field to find gold detecting. The average amongst most that have been successful is about 2 years of hard dedicated work to get to that 1st nugget. Probably at least a couple 5 gallon buckets full of trash or more will be dug before finding that 1st nugget. Most never realize that dream. Those of us that have, worked our tails off to succeed.

I hope at least some of what I wrote is acknowledged and helps your perspective. Good luck to you, Dennis

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All that info is well and good for a hobbyist. But you say in your original post that you expect to find sizeable deposits of interest to a larger mining company to lease out. This is why you got the response from Terry that you got. Let me elaborate a little. That comment alone says a lot about your intentions and level of experience. You are certainly dreaming if you think you will find a deposit that a large mining company would want to lease from you that easily. I will say the odds are severely against you, like 20 billion to 1 that this will ever happen. Lots of guys out there have valuable mining claims, and no mining company knocking on their door to lease the claim to mine. Mining companies find their own ground, claim it, obtain permits and eventually work it, in theory. Sometimes they might sell all or part of the property to another company or even lease some of it out, but they don't typically lease property from individuals.

Now as far as metal detecting for gold as a hobby, I say go for it. Just don't go into it with unrealistic expectations. Finding gold with a metal detector ain't easy and it's not for just anybody. Many try and fail. It requires much more than just buying a metal detector and going for a walk to find gold. It takes dedication, devotion, research, strong will and physical dexterity. Fact is it ain't easy, period. A man better be properly outfitted and prepared for hard travel into desolate country way off the beaten path. Survival skills are certainly a requirement. S**t happens in an instant out in the middle of nowhere and self rescue is certainly a constant possibility.

All that being said, there are many viable choices out there for a startup metal detector that will find gold. However it's not really that simple either. You really need to know something about the area you intend to be looking. Is there course detectable gold to start with? How heavily mineralized is the ground? How deep is the gold in the area, if there even is any. Shallow ground with plenty of exposed bedrock which has course detectable gold is easily worked with most any VLF detector designed specifically for detecting gold. Deeper heavily mineralized ground typically requires a PI detector to have any reasonable expectation of success. You also have to think about what you as an individual can realistically afford. Good VLF machines can start at about $500 new for a Gold Bug that Cabelas sells that is fairly simple to learn and capable of finding gold, in the right circumstances. Higher end machines that punch deeper and handle higher mineralization, like PI machines, start at about $2,000 dollars or a little more and go up to about $8,000 for the latest and greatest Minelab. All of which have a "sweet spot" where they excel over other units in the right conditions. Some, like the Gold Bug2, find the tiniest of fly poop, but don't handle heavy mineralization well or punch very deep. Any of the Minelab PI or the high end GPZ7000 will punch deeper and handle mineralization much better than any VLF. They don't typically find fly poop gold, but can find fairly small pieces of gold in the hands of an experienced operator.

The fact is there are so many variables to consider. I highly suggest you do more research before you spend your money. When you decide to buy, keep within your budget. Most people give up before they ever find gold. Those of us that succeed have spent many thousands of hours doing research and boots on the ground in the field to find gold detecting. The average amongst most that have been successful is about 2 years of hard dedicated work to get to that 1st nugget. Probably at least a couple 5 gallon buckets full of trash or more will be dug before finding that 1st nugget. Most never realize that dream. Those of us that have, worked our tails off to succeed.

I hope at least some of what I wrote is acknowledged and helps your perspective. Good luck to you, Dennis

An apt reply filled with the wisdom that only comes from years spent chasing the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Get a used TDI SL, go on ebay and get a 14.4 volt after market power supply from Reidman. Get 2 Coiltek coils made for the TDI - the 6" mono and the 14" mono-and leave the VLFs alone. The TDI is light, has great filtering and short learning curve. If you have to have a VLf, Jeff Williams in one of his newer videos is using this:https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/au-gold-finder-look him up on Youtube and you will learn alot. A good friend of mine just got the Nokta AU Gold Finder and found a nice size nugget in N. Calif. Where are planning to go for your gold (state and general area). Have you thought about joining a good gold mining club?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be clear, I'm not that deluded, I'm looking for pegamite / petalite hardrock deposits of lithium that are economically viable as demand increases over the next 50 years. Until then I'll be making my money from other precious metals and minerals. I wasn't really planning on joining any club, however I do understand the value of being able to talk to folks that have been in the area forever, I'm just not an overly social person. I do enjoy the company of mature knowledgeable driven individuals, but I don't come across them too often. At some point there's going to be a day where I can't get out of bed, between now and then I don't plan on wasting my time.

So based on what I'm seeing an sdc 2300 (or equivalent) should be the minimum purchase?

Last edited:

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Allow me to ask a couple questions. What part of the country are you intending to metal detect in? At least what state. What is your experience level when it comes to prospecting in general? What is your current condition, as in age (approx.) and health? Probably most importantly what amount can you legitimately afford to spend?

I ask these questions because nobody can really recommend the proper machine for you without knowing more about you and your situation. You started asking about a roughly $800 machine and are now asking about a $3750 machine. Spending more money won't find more gold. All Minelabs are fine machines, but they all have areas and circumstances that they excel at. I own and SDC2300 as well as 5 other detectors and can tell you it is a fine turn on and go machine. However, without knowing your situation, I would have a hard time recommending it for all situations.

So what I am saying is tell us something about you and where you plan to prospect and maybe we can better advise you. Dennis

OP
OP
G

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My health is terrible, I wont be doing anymore prospecting unless that changes... till then it's all just wishful thinking trying to stay busy. Should that ever change my finances have been ruined due to health so the $800 price tag is attractive, if I bought an sdc2300 it'd be used so I was thinking in the lower 2k range. It's honestly hard to say where exactly I'd enjoy mining the most... theres a few options I feel are solid choices and I'd like to be equipped for whatever situation I end up in. SW Colorado / Idaho / Nevada / N. Cali all kinda just depending on how things piece together. I'm always open to sound advice. Rapidly approaching 30.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting , just read this post...and although Terry's answer may sound a bit to harsh..its truth! I am sure Golden Crab is under no illusion about the difficulties of finding gold with a metal detector. It's the most difficult way to find gold , PERIOD for many reasons..one is access to ground that has produced sizeable nuggets for a detector to find. Most of it is on private property or extremely difficult locations to get to, the list goes on. As far as detectors....forget vlf....go straight to a sdc2300. turn on and go, and compact, very light..its a no brainer. Nuggethunting can most definitely supplement your income..if you but the effort and sweat behind that dream...times a wasted, get to it and just do it...Good luck and may you find adventure in your future...life's to short and getting shorter day to day.:skullflag:

OP
OP
G

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting , just read this post...and although Terry's answer may sound a bit to harsh..its truth! I am sure Golden Crab is under no illusion about the difficulties of finding gold with a metal detector. It's the most difficult way to find gold , PERIOD for many reasons..one is access to ground that has produced sizeable nuggets for a detector to find. Most of it is on private property or extremely difficult locations to get to, the list goes on. As far as detectors....forget vlf....go straight to a sdc2300. turn on and go, and compact, very light..its a no brainer. Nuggethunting can most definitely supplement your income..if you but the effort and sweat behind that dream...times a wasted, get to it and just do it...Good luck and may you find adventure in your future...life's to short and getting shorter day to day.:skullflag:

amen. I like a good challenge.. fishing in the dirt is fun for me, I guess others see it as an obstacle. It's about doin what you love... not being successful financially. As long as I dont starve, I'm happy. oh and occasional hot shower.

Any good cheaper alternative to an SDC2300 (maybe slightly less performance) that is also rugged/waterproof? or does minelab have the market cornered? The TDI with a Li-Ion battery (see? lithium baby!) mod sounds nice however I'd like something that can be easily replaced via warranty as **** can, does, and will happen.

Last edited:

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden Crab,

To be honest with you, I would try to find a good used sdc 2300 . The TDI I have tried....but the sdc 2300 is leaps and bounds better. And if you want to find the bread and butter pieces ...sdc is your choice. Just saw one for sale for 2,000 , think it was Rob Allison's or Bill Southerns site. I've been nuggethunting for many years do it fulltime now, if you want to find gold, you have to have the right tool. Minelab is it...

OP
OP
G

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden Crab,

To be honest with you, I would try to find a good used sdc 2300 . The TDI I have tried....but the sdc 2300 is leaps and bounds better. And if you want to find the bread and butter pieces ...sdc is your choice. Just saw one for sale for 2,000 , think it was Rob Allison's or Bill Southerns site. I've been nuggethunting for many years do it fulltime now, if you want to find gold, you have to have the right tool. Minelab is it...

Is minelab one of those cool companies that will carry over the warranty with proof of purchase date?

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden Crab,

Yes but it all depends on the date of purchase. Not to many like Tesoro but its been my experience with metal detectors that they don't just not work and fail. Most just keep on ticking. Warranty would not stop me from buying even if it expires as Minelab is the best detector for nuggethunting.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Although I agree with Relichunter1 that Minelab is the top of the heap, I'm not sure I recommend for you to invest that kind of money if you're really in terrible health. I just read over on Steve's forum that the Fisher F19 is on sale for $449 for a limited time. The F19 is the same as a Gold Bug Pro with a few more features. Certainly this is the best VLF for that price right now. I bought my GB from Cabelas bargain cave for $275, but there is no guarantee you can get that lucky.

Money is definitely a concern. I would never recommend anybody spend outside what they can legitimately afford. Another concern is not knowing where you will be prospecting. What state are you located in? Can you afford to travel the country if your health is so poor?

Maybe somebody more familiar with SW Colorado might chime in here, but I don't think that is known for nuggets, likely fine gold, but I am no expert there. Idaho or Nevada both have course gold, if you know where to look. Do you belong to a club like GPAA? You might need a membership just to have legal access to gold ground. After all, we can't just go anywhere prospecting. We have to know what is under claim to remain legal. Finding open areas to prospect takes lots of research.

I do well because I am working areas I am familiar with in my own state and somewhat close to home. However it took me many hundreds of hours with boots on the ground to not only find gold, but to find it on a regular basis.

I am not trying to discourage you from trying, but I think you have to be realistic about what you are up against. Dennis

OP
OP
G

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I agree with Relichunter1 that Minelab is the top of the heap, I'm not sure I recommend for you to invest that kind of money if you're really in terrible health. I just read over on Steve's forum that the Fisher F19 is on sale for $449 for a limited time. The F19 is the same as a Gold Bug Pro with a few more features. Certainly this is the best VLF for that price right now. I bought my GB from Cabelas bargain cave for $275, but there is no guarantee you can get that lucky.

Money is definitely a concern. I would never recommend anybody spend outside what they can legitimately afford. Another concern is not knowing where you will be prospecting. What state are you located in? Can you afford to travel the country if your health is so poor?

Maybe somebody more familiar with SW Colorado might chime in here, but I don't think that is known for nuggets, likely fine gold, but I am no expert there. Idaho or Nevada both have course gold, if you know where to look. Do you belong to a club like GPAA? You might need a membership just to have legal access to gold ground. After all, we can't just go anywhere prospecting. We have to know what is under claim to remain legal. Finding open areas to prospect takes lots of research.

I do well because I am working areas I am familiar with in my own state and somewhat close to home. However it took me many hundreds of hours with boots on the ground to not only find gold, but to find it on a regular basis.

I am not trying to discourage you from trying, but I think you have to be realistic about what you are up against. Dennis

Correct SW colorado is hardrock / dredging grounds. I'm quite sure my nugget hunting preference would be #1 N. Cali #2 Idaho. My lungs are pretty beat up from less than savory choices over the years, unless I want to wear a mask 24/7 I'm thinking the arid deserts gonna be a no go. Finding gold is no issue for me whatsoever, its the logistics (resources) I have an issue with. As it stands right now I haven't been able to work for the last 3 weeks because of my health.. I can't get a god damn diagnosis so I do not qualify for any kind of assistance nor is any Doc willing to entertain the idea that someone my age legitimately can have debilitating health issues. If I'm going to end up homeless, might as well at least prepare for it eh?? A good doc is worth more than all the gold in the world to me right now. Gotta have something to keep you going.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had more to say, but had to go do a tow call......

So anyway, I myself would recommend the least expensive capable metal detector with your current situation. The F19 on sale would be that unit. At least with the F19 you can still go to places local to you looking for coins or whatever to get familiar with the machine as it is also a fine coin/relic detector. Buying a more expensive machine won't help you find gold. You could have the most expensive Minelab GPZ7000 and I could use my bargain cave Gold Bug and just because of experience I will find more gold. Owning a capable metal detector is just a small part of the equation. You still have to learn how to use it which takes time. You need to have good ground to hunt which takes lots of research and time. You need to be able to walk a lot and get down on your hands and knees and dig a lot, and be able to get back up. You could shorten the learning curve if you could find somebody with experience to take you out and put you on good ground and help you get dialed in.

Believe me as I have been there and done that. I had no help to start, but I put the time in and worked very hard doing research and getting my boots on the ground on GPAA claims to start with. I had a little bit of luck finding my 1st nugget in about 35 hours of boots on the ground. However my 2nd 3rd and 4th nuggets took another 14 months of very hard work to accomplish. I started with a Minelab 2100 V-2, which is now discontinued and cost about $1700 then, but I could afford it. I also live in Arizona and very close to good gold ground so I could spend most my days off out detecting. I don't mean a couple hours here and there either. I was spending all day, sun up to often into night working in the dark to become successful. I still hunt every chance I get and will often hunt all night in the summer heat when most just park their detectors for the season. I can and do hike sometimes for miles. That's after driving my very capable 4x4 in part way, and then a quad to get farther into nowhere. I am also rather healthy and capable for a 54 year old. I can tell you quite honestly that I would not have found one ounce of gold in the past 8 years of trying if I wasn't healthy. If I had a health problem in any of the places I go, it would take search and rescue to get me out alive, or dead depending on the problem.

I know a lot of places I can go fishing by just driving up and parking. I know very few places that a person can find gold close to their vehicle and even fewer that you can access safely without 4x4 of some kind. Again, I am not trying to discourage you or anybody. However I can't in anyway recommend that somebody go out ill prepared and risking their life looking for something as material as a gold nugget.

Don't let gold fever blind you into making a foolish error. Here in Arizona people die darn near every year thinking they will come out into the Superstition Wilderness looking for the Lost Dutchman's Mine, in the desert in the heat of summer. They don't even have enough since to wait till winter or at least a time of year when it isn't 120 degrees out there.

I'm sorry, but I have another tow call. I hope some of this info will help you clarify what you are dreaming of doing. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread