Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody. I found a good deal on a Garrett AT Pro here locally (well about 3 hours away). I talked to the guy for about 15 minutes, he's an older retired gentleman, and seemed like a straight forward guy. I'm looking into getting into nugget shooting. I know that where I am at, the gold is mostly flake and SMALL nuggets. My concern is that the AT Pro at 15khz may not be good for shooting? The price is $325. I have also looked into other deals on ebay and such, and was looking at gold bug/2/pro. Just out of curiousity, what are your opinions? Get the good priced AT Pro, or spend more and get something else? I'm pretty capped at $500, but that's a stretch too. The AT Pro is all stock, with the OEM headphones. I found some bundle deals on ebay, but with this guy being an older gentleman, I doubt he abused his equipment. Probably didn't use it all that much. I like the thought of the gold bug at its high sensitivity and 71khz (I believe? Don't quote me). Anyways, that's the opinions I'm looking for.

Side question. If I got the AT Pro, what do you think the smallest piece of gold it would detect at a standard depth? Let's say like 4-8 inches maybe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody. I found a good deal on a Garrett AT Pro here locally (well about 3 hours away). I talked to the guy for about 15 minutes, he's an older retired gentleman, and seemed like a straight forward guy. I'm looking into getting into nugget shooting. I know that where I am at, the gold is mostly flake and SMALL nuggets. My concern is that the AT Pro at 15khz may not be good for shooting? The price is $325. I have also looked into other deals on ebay and such, and was looking at gold bug/2/pro. Just out of curiousity, what are your opinions? Get the good priced AT Pro, or spend more and get something else? I'm pretty capped at $500, but that's a stretch too. The AT Pro is all stock, with the OEM headphones. I found some bundle deals on ebay, but with this guy being an older gentleman, I doubt he abused his equipment. Probably didn't use it all that much. I like the thought of the gold bug at its high sensitivity and 71khz (I believe? Don't quote me). Anyways, that's the opinions I'm looking for.

Side question. If I got the AT Pro, what do you think the smallest piece of gold it would detect at a standard depth? Let's say like 4-8 inches maybe?

at-pro is not what you want. If you want to get into nugget shooting you need to get a high end machine, especially with the small gold you said you have.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in my opinion you want to run 19 khz minimum.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:skullflag:

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great. Thanks for the for the feedback. I have actually seen it recommended quite a bit for nugget detecting on other sites and forums. would you all say that a gold bug is good? I found a good deal on the original gold bug. I found a good deal on one. What about the AT gold?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Gold
Fisher Goldbug / Goldbug II / Goldbug Pro
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Whites GMT
Teknetics G2

These will all be good starter nugget shooters :occasion14:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GM 1000 is really good and great for beginners too. It will be hard to find a used one right now but they are out there. If I were you I'd also save a bit more and buy a dedicated gold machine, you will be happier in the long run and it will only cost you another 300 or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are your thoughts on the original gold bug? I read that it's very sensitive for tiny flakes, but also difficult for mineralized ground

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are your thoughts on the original gold bug? I read that it's very sensitive for tiny flakes, but also difficult for mineralized ground

It is a good machine, but like the GB II, you need to be on top of the Ground Balance (which may change every 10-feet), so it takes time to learn the machine.:skullflag:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got a reference?

The gm1000 is my first high frequency machine so I can't speak to the gold bug but so far I've been very impressed with it. I know quite a few others have been liking it a lot too. 20170827_110740.jpg some of the gold I've gotten with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anybody have any opinions on the Makro Racer?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makro Gold Racer kicks butt on the shallow small gold.

Also does pretty good coin/relic hunting.

I have "paid it off" nugget hunting AND relic hunting.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out that it was an old ad. Any opinions on using the MXT for nuggets? It's the MXT with Eclipse 950 loop, Eclipse DD 1400 deep scan loop, the Standard headphones, a 120mm bullseye pinpoint probe, Digging tool, a Carrying case, and owners manual for $750. It concerns me a little because it's over the budget I had said, and I know that it's duel purpose and not strictly for gold. I have read some good things about using it for gold though.

There's also a White's XLT spectrum for $350, but no additional info on it besides that he "used it twice". When I see stuff like that it makes me leery

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I just jumped the gun and got a GM1000. There was a used gold bug 2 with just 1 coil and no headphones for $500, or the GM1000 just a little more with my mil discount. It was over budget, but figured it was a smart move...accidently posted this comment in another thread and bumped an old thread lol. Couldn't figure out how to delete it on mobile app.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GM1000 is likely easier to learn it's operation. Hopefully where you bought it also offers a day in the field to teach you how to use it, as most dealers do offer to do so. A person can figure it out on their own, it just makes the learning curve take a little longer. Dennis

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out that it was an old ad. Any opinions on using the MXT for nuggets? It's the MXT with Eclipse 950 loop, Eclipse DD 1400 deep scan loop, the Standard headphones, a 120mm bullseye pinpoint probe, Digging tool, a Carrying case, and owners manual for $750. It concerns me a little because it's over the budget I had said, and I know that it's duel purpose and not strictly for gold. I have read some good things about using it for gold though.

There's also a White's XLT spectrum for $350, but no additional info on it besides that he "used it twice". When I see stuff like that it makes me leery

The MXT has found more Gold in Alaska that any other VLF, In Ganes Creek it has found over a 1000 Ounces there over the years, and a few of them were over a pound in weight and more, In normal ground it can see bits as small as 0.003 grams, The best/Hottest coil for the MXT is the 5.3/6" coil Not the 6x4 shooter, When things get confusing with all the models it pays to remember the MXT has the proven track record along with the GMT and the Goldbug 2.

hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread