Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: What to consider before getting into detecting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2010
    California
    Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
    52 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    All good advice form above members...detecting for gold nuggets is the hardest way to find gold. The 4500 is a great choice, get a small coil like the sadie nugget finder, easy to reach in between the large cobble stones typically found in old tertiary deposits. Than you will need a large coil to cover ground and get more punch out of em. There's no easy way, just pick a good detector, sdc 2300 is super detector..good choice too. VLf can be frustrating because of the constant noise, as a beginner you may find it extremely frustrating to distinguish ground noise, hot rocks from gold. If it were me I would go with either a 4500 or sdc 2300. Follow the rules, go low and slow and listen carefully, most of the time gold won't pop at you...but give you a nice absorbing sweet mellow sound. Dig all targets , eventually you will get the ear for it...patience is a virtue in nuggethunting. When you go home empty handed, look at it as another day of exercise...and never give up. Nuggethunting is a battle with the mind...it wants you to give up...but once you find gold and won't let go !! Gold Fever...takes hold. Good Luck and Good Hunting....

us
    Nov 2017
    El Dorado County, CA
    21 times
    Prospecting
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 4500 because of it's versatility and the price point is within my budget for the time being. I'll use the 11" mono Commander coil that it comes with while I get use to it and learn the ropes a bit. Once I start knowing the machine and what to listen for, I'll get a 14x9 Coiltek Elite or the Nuggetfinder Advantage for covering ground and getting more depth, and I'll get a little elliptical coil for searching tight spots in crevices and between large cobbles.

Great advice Relichunter, "patience is a virtue"! I never get discouraged when it comes to prospecting, its therapy just getting out in the outdoors. I spun my my wheels the first couple years of panning/sluicing, but I kept going back for more...there's something mesmerizing about that yellow stuff. Definitely have the fever...figured it's time to start detecting.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Cheers

us
    Nov 2017
    El Dorado County, CA
    21 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    Hi Hickory,
    I own the largest coil for the GMT and it works however it needs some clear ground to use it properly, that is, no bushes or clumps of rocks. Or, the large coils need special conditions to use them properly, IMHO...............63bkpkr

The Steven's Creek Trail is a new one to me, it goes down to the NFAR? It must be below Pickering Bar?
    It's just upstream from Mineral Bar, and on the other side of the river from the Mineral Bar campground. It's a pretty long trail; park near Colfax and hike about seven miles upstream and down into the canyon. I hear the views from high up on the trail are breathtaking.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, 1265X, Garrett Carrot, Stealth 920iX Keene A52
    12618 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Something to consider?

Driving two hours one way to what you expect to be a great spot and finding 6 zincolns and 2 nickels.....

It happens like that...
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    shasta county
    sdc 2300 nokta fors gold+
    634 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Joe View Post
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 4500 because of it's versatility and the price point is within my budget for the time being. I'll use the 11" mono Commander coil that it comes with while I get use to it and learn the ropes a bit. Once I start knowing the machine and what to listen for, I'll get a 14x9 Coiltek Elite or the Nuggetfinder Advantage for covering ground and getting more depth, and I'll get a little elliptical coil for searching tight spots in crevices and between large cobbles.

Great advice Relichunter, "patience is a virtue"! I never get discouraged when it comes to prospecting, its therapy just getting out in the outdoors. I spun my my wheels the first couple years of panning/sluicing, but I kept going back for more...there's something mesmerizing about that yellow stuff. Definitely have the fever...figured it's time to start detecting.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Cheers
    cant go wrong with that choice. that will be the next one i get for sure, someday
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    2990 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    HJ & Steven's Creek Trail - Likely I've rafted right past the creek a few times many years ago and that would have been the only time I've ever been that far down on the NFAR. Between the two bridges there are some crazy rocks in the river! Enjoy your machine and the best of success to you!...................63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links