What to consider before getting into detecting?

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been prospecting local creeks and rivers for years with pan, sluice and crevice tools. I find typical flood gold, flecks and the occasional picker. I'm yet to find any nuggets and have been thinking that metal detecting might be the only answer to my craving.

I feel I'm ready to take my prospecting to the next level, but I want to reach out before I make a very expensive purchase (I've had my eye on the GPX 4500). What considerations should I be aware of before jumping into this expensive hobby? How steep of a learning curve is there for using a PI detector?

Primarily, I plan on detecting tertiary river channels in the Sierra Nevadas. I have a handful of spots that I have always been curious about, but have had no means of productively finding anything without a detector.

Any enlightenment or insight before pulling the trigger on detecting would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Hickory Joe and a late welcome to Treasurenet!
You've come to the right place for a variety of answers to your question as it has been answered here before though since the last time there are now newer machines on the market. A popular thread is Lanny's Bedrock and Gold - a huge amount of information in that wonderful long read! Then Steve Herschbach has his own site with more information. Terry Solomon has been prospecting/detecting since there was dirt. Jim Hemingway up in the "North Country" has been at it for a long time hunting for silver in Canada.

Then the new machines with the PI's going up way over $1,000.00 and lots of VLF detectors have come on the market in the last two years. EVERYONE of the above people and many more here on TNET will tell you that detecting for gold In The Mountains is one of the most difficult forms of detecting to do, that said even I have found it with my GMT VLF detector and I am NOT an expert with my detector! When I started finding gold with it I also started sluicing as panning is literally a pain in the back, the smaller GGT sluice would be perfect for what you expect to be doing. I talk about sluicing as detectors will find some very small gold particles that can be panned but it is a pain in the back to do. However if one sits down in the water (with a closed cell foam pad under them and a comfortable rock at you back) panning can be more pleasant though likely colder.

There is a steep learning curve for even the simplest detector, the steepness is decreased by using the detector in the city over your own "Test Garden" as well as at local parks. In the mountains the ground mineralization will add a new "thrill" to what your detector tells you so there is an In The Mountain training period for whatever the ground condition is like for any particular canyon.

The detector you've listed is HEAVY! Of course none of them are feather weights but the Minelabs need lots of electrical power so large heavy batteries are what must be used with many of that brand. Which Detector is best is determined by the user though if where you want to go has a heavy iron layer on top then the VLF's will not make a dent in that - Lanny use's a VLF to begin with and then goes to his Minelab PI for the clean up.

So welcome to the group of Sick-O's that waste so much of their time out in the hill's looking for the yellow metal! Of course that is not what drives us as we also just enjoy being out there, err at least I do.....................63bkpkr

Ah yes, accessories for the detectors will also add to their cost but are Necessary, like a Good pair of headphones. I believe it is the Bluetooth headsets that have a lag in the signal and that is only going to ruin a persons experience detecting. Also, not only will you be listening for the detector to beep (or whatever) at a target you will also want to listen for the threshold hum to drop out/go away as that could also be a good target. Wireless headphones are Very Nice as the cord will not be there to grab bushes and rocks. See what fun awaits you! Hence, you need to enjoy being out there as hunting for gold with a detector can be slow going. There is always carrying in a diving mask so you can see in the water while swimming as you can tell how many fish might be there and then again you might just see a nugget laying out in the open that has your name on it, this is called sniping and on hot days it can be a pleasure but cover your bare back as the sun is there to help you see and to give you a sun burn.

181_8162.JPG 182_8294.JPG

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy excellent, solid equipment, from honest dealers that will be there for you after the sale. Today, you have a tremendous choice of great gold machines - some waterproof, that can break down in your backpack, and use small AA and 9V batteries. Lightweight and powerful is the way to go prospecting way back in the rocks, where water is worth more than big rechargeable batteries.

Once you find the patch, then you can clean it up with the heavy stuff. Do your due diligence studying the region you want to explore, and the machine that can help you realize your goals. I have a list of 10 top machines I'll be sharing on my Youtube Channel in a few days - Good Luck!:skullflag:

OP
OP
H

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Morning Hickory Joe and a late welcome to Treasurenet!
You've come to the right place for a variety of answers to your question as it has been answered here before though since the last time there are now newer machines on the market. A popular thread is Lanny's Bedrock and Gold - a huge amount of information in that wonderful long read! Then Steve Herschbach has his own site with more information. Terry Solomon has been prospecting/detecting since there was dirt. Jim Hemingway up in the "North Country" has been at it for a long time hunting for silver in Canada.

Then the new machines with the PI's going up way over $1,000.00 and lots of VLF detectors have come on the market in the last two years. EVERYONE of the above people and many more here on TNET will tell you that detecting for gold In The Mountains is one of the most difficult forms of detecting to do, that said even I have found it with my GMT VLF detector and I am NOT an expert with my detector! When I started finding gold with it I also started sluicing as panning is literally a pain in the back, the smaller GGT sluice would be perfect for what you expect to be doing. I talk about sluicing as detectors will find some very small gold particles that can be panned but it is a pain in the back to do. However if one sits down in the water (with a closed cell foam pad under them and a comfortable rock at you back) panning can be more pleasant though likely colder.

There is a steep learning curve for even the simplest detector, the steepness is decreased by using the detector in the city over your own "Test Garden" as well as at local parks. In the mountains the ground mineralization will add a new "thrill" to what your detector tells you so there is an In The Mountain training period for whatever the ground condition is like for any particular canyon.

The detector you've listed is HEAVY! Of course none of them are feather weights but the Minelabs need lots of electrical power so large heavy batteries are what must be used with many of that brand. Which Detector is best is determined by the user though if where you want to go has a heavy iron layer on top then the VLF's will not make a dent in that - Lanny use's a VLF to begin with and then goes to his Minelab PI for the clean up.

So welcome to the group of Sick-O's that waste so much of their time out in the hill's looking for the yellow metal! Of course that is not what drives us as we also just enjoy being out there, err at least I do.....................63bkpkr

Ah yes, accessories for the detectors will also add to their cost but are Necessary, like a Good pair of headphones. I believe it is the Bluetooth headsets that have a lag in the signal and that is only going to ruin a persons experience detecting. Also, not only will you be listening for the detector to beep (or whatever) at a target you will also want to listen for the threshold hum to drop out/go away as that could also be a good target. Wireless headphones are Very Nice as the cord will not be there to grab bushes and rocks. See what fun awaits you! Hence, you need to enjoy being out there as hunting for gold with a detector can be slow going. There is always carrying in a diving mask so you can see in the water while swimming as you can tell how many fish might be there and then again you might just see a nugget laying out in the open that has your name on it, this is called sniping and on hot days it can be a pleasure but cover your bare back as the sun is there to help you see and to give you a sun burn.

View attachment 1513058 View attachment 1513059

Thanks for the warm welcome bkpkr and your great input, much appreciated! Looks like I'll be reading Lanny's threads tonight :icon_thumleft: Only been on here for two days and I can already feel the close community of TNet.

I'm well accustomed to the the backpack style of prospecting, it's all I have done for years, not to mention many years of backpacking all along the Sierras. Absolutely beautiful country here, I can never get enough of it. One thing I do know about the mountains around here is that they're not forgiving, always think ahead and plan accordingly. I've done plenty of sampling trips where I've hiked in miles down steep, wicked canyons only to find nothing, always have a great time though. I take it there is no easy form of prospecting in the backcountry, which makes it all the more rewarding when you find a good spot.

Nice chunky gold there by the way!
-Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buy excellent, solid equipment, from honest dealers that will be there for you after the sale. Today, you have a tremendous choice of great gold machines - some waterproof, that can break down in your backpack, and use small AA and 9V batteries. Lightweight and powerful is the way to go prospecting way back in the rocks, where water is worth more than big rechargeable batteries.

Once you find the patch, then you can clean it up with the heavy stuff. Do your due diligence studying the region you want to explore, and the machine that can help you realize your goals. I have a list of 10 top machines I'll be sharing on my Youtube Channel in a few days - Good Luck!:skullflag:

Choices, choices! Sometimes I don't like having so many choices, but I hear you, solid equipment from the start is the way to go. Do know of any reputable dealers in the Sacramento area?

I'm a firm believer in research and exploration, I can confidently say I know my back yard pretty well. The past couple years I have really dug into historical and current records of mining operations in my county. That coupled with Google Earth and growing up in these hills has begun to reveal spots that I never used to consider. While I have firm knowledge of my region, I lack experience with a detector, so I'm just going to warn you now that you'll be getting a lot of questions from me in the coming years. I hear nugget shooting isn't for the novice or the faint of heart, but I'm the type that thrives off of a good challenge.

Thanks for your direction, Terry. I look forward to your video in the coming days!
-Joe

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are Welcome Joe,
I've been hiking the North Fork of the American River since I was 19 (for some 50 years now) so I understand about the Steep Wicked Side Canyons, unforgiving events, being prepared as well as thinking about what you have with you so you use everything you have to keep yourself alive. I've hiked out on a broken leg (the real insult was having the ankle of the same leg severely sprained), used pine boughs to support my tent in deep snow (cross country Skiing/backpacking) and figured out how to get a fire going when the forest was soaking wet.

I've used the metal detector as a work saver by detecting a bucket of rough sample for signs of gold, no beep beep = no need to test the pile. Saves a lot of work when panning or sluicing!

I carry an insurance policy with me on every trip, I carry it in my left armpit and it is usually loud enough to scare any bear off and they've not returned. I also carry one of those rolled up tiny pseudo plastic tents that reflect most of a persons body heat back into them just incase I need to spend Another night out in the open without my real tent & sleeping bag.

This is a knowledgeable helpful community, we love pictures of trips, equipment, end results and the like. I'm looking forward to checking out Terry's web site for the list of 10 detectors. As I mentioned I have a GMT and along the NFAR it finds gold. I have all four coils for it but prefer the stock coil and the miniature coil, I've not had a chance to test out the small circular coil yet. Learning it took me quite some time as I really only used it along the river in the summer, silly of me to do that! Once learned and using some of Lanny's comments I began to find gold, some of which was simply amazing that it was there like the machine said it was. Lot's to learn, lot's of folks here willing to do that! Have fun.................63bkpkr

OP
OP
H

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are countless great spots along the NFAR. I've been wanting to do a weekend trip in the summer down the Steven's Creek Trail; free time has been a bit scarce for me the past couple years. I do most my prospecting along the SF American and NF Cosumnes, since I live between the two.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 4500 is a good detector. I used to swing one myself. If you get one and hunt creeks, purchase a 6x8 elliptical coil from nuggetfinder and you will start pinging out the nuggs. I will add, if you are primarily going to hunt bedrock in creeks, the sdc2300 is a fun detector. Most the guys I know that hunt creeks here in the Motheroad country are running 2300s now. You will dig more lead shot than the 4500 or 5000, but also more gold!

OP
OP
H

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 4500 is a good detector. I used to swing one myself. If you get one and hunt creeks, purchase a 6x8 elliptical coil from nuggetfinder and you will start pinging out the nuggs. I will add, if you are primarily going to hunt bedrock in creeks, the sdc2300 is a fun detector. Most the guys I know that hunt creeks here in the Motheroad country are running 2300s now. You will dig more lead shot than the 4500 or 5000, but also more gold!

Would the 14x9 nuggetfinder fend well on high bench and mountain top deposits? What would you use for finding those high and dry nuggets where there could be a fair amount of large cobbles and boulders between you and bedrock and perhaps a significant amount of sediment on top of the gravels?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Hickory,
I own the largest coil for the GMT and it works however it needs some clear ground to use it properly, that is, no bushes or clumps of rocks. Or, the large coils need special conditions to use them properly, IMHO...............63bkpkr

The Steven's Creek Trail is a new one to me, it goes down to the NFAR? It must be below Pickering Bar?

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
if you know that you are willing to put in the time then i would say go for the best. if you want to test the waters without going 2700 dollars deep. gold bug pro. you are definatley in the right area to find some big nuggets. i would highly reccomend the sdc2300 to any beginner detectorist. its a steep price, but imho, its worth it. ive had mine since late april and its 1/3 paid off. detecting 2-3 times a month. 4500 will be more versatile, but also a learning curve. sdc has an exceptionally short curve.

OP
OP
H

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you know that you are willing to put in the time then i would say go for the best. if you want to test the waters without going 2700 dollars deep. gold bug pro. you are definatley in the right area to find some big nuggets. i would highly reccomend the sdc2300 to any beginner detectorist. its a steep price, but imho, its worth it. ive had mine since late april and its 1/3 paid off. detecting 2-3 times a month. 4500 will be more versatile, but also a learning curve. sdc has an exceptionally short curve.

There definitely is some big gold to be found in my neck of the woods. You bring up a good point about the 4500 being more versatile, which is what I want. I could get a small elliptical coil for hunting bedrock around exposed creek beds and a larger coil for nugget shooting ancient river beds. I saved 3k so the price for that machine is within my budget. I’m sure the learning curve will be a bit frustrating from the start, but with practice and patients I’ll figure it out. Can you use different coils on the 2300? Thanks for your input btw.

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
SDC2300 has two new coils coming out from Nugget Finder soon. 5"x10", 12" The SDC is a special machine since it has a very fast timing, not extremely deep but seems to do pretty good overall. It can see into the ground a bit different with that very fast timing so will find gold other machines cannot hear. I have been considering buying a sdc lately. The new coils will have center mount connector, versus the oe edge mount which I do not care for.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
SDC2300 has two new coils coming out from Nugget Finder soon. 5"x10", 12" The SDC is a special machine since it has a very fast timing, not extremely deep but seems to do pretty good overall. It can see into the ground a bit different with that very fast timing so will find gold other machines cannot hear. I have been considering buying a sdc lately. The new coils will have center mount connector, versus the oe edge mount which I do not care for.

that is awsome

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice form above members...detecting for gold nuggets is the hardest way to find gold. The 4500 is a great choice, get a small coil like the sadie nugget finder, easy to reach in between the large cobble stones typically found in old tertiary deposits. Than you will need a large coil to cover ground and get more punch out of em. There's no easy way, just pick a good detector, sdc 2300 is super detector..good choice too. VLf can be frustrating because of the constant noise, as a beginner you may find it extremely frustrating to distinguish ground noise, hot rocks from gold. If it were me I would go with either a 4500 or sdc 2300. Follow the rules, go low and slow and listen carefully, most of the time gold won't pop at you...but give you a nice absorbing sweet mellow sound. Dig all targets , eventually you will get the ear for it...patience is a virtue in nuggethunting. When you go home empty handed, look at it as another day of exercise...and never give up. Nuggethunting is a battle with the mind...it wants you to give up...but once you find gold and won't let go !! Gold Fever...takes hold. Good Luck and Good Hunting....

OP
OP
H

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 4500 because of it's versatility and the price point is within my budget for the time being. I'll use the 11" mono Commander coil that it comes with while I get use to it and learn the ropes a bit. Once I start knowing the machine and what to listen for, I'll get a 14x9 Coiltek Elite or the Nuggetfinder Advantage for covering ground and getting more depth, and I'll get a little elliptical coil for searching tight spots in crevices and between large cobbles.

Great advice Relichunter, "patience is a virtue"! I never get discouraged when it comes to prospecting, its therapy just getting out in the outdoors. I spun my my wheels the first couple years of panning/sluicing, but I kept going back for more...there's something mesmerizing about that yellow stuff. Definitely have the fever...figured it's time to start detecting.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Cheers :occasion14:

OP
OP
H

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Hickory,
I own the largest coil for the GMT and it works however it needs some clear ground to use it properly, that is, no bushes or clumps of rocks. Or, the large coils need special conditions to use them properly, IMHO...............63bkpkr

The Steven's Creek Trail is a new one to me, it goes down to the NFAR? It must be below Pickering Bar?

It's just upstream from Mineral Bar, and on the other side of the river from the Mineral Bar campground. It's a pretty long trail; park near Colfax and hike about seven miles upstream and down into the canyon. I hear the views from high up on the trail are breathtaking.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Something to consider?

Driving two hours one way to what you expect to be a great spot and finding 6 zincolns and 2 nickels.....

It happens like that...

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 4500 because of it's versatility and the price point is within my budget for the time being. I'll use the 11" mono Commander coil that it comes with while I get use to it and learn the ropes a bit. Once I start knowing the machine and what to listen for, I'll get a 14x9 Coiltek Elite or the Nuggetfinder Advantage for covering ground and getting more depth, and I'll get a little elliptical coil for searching tight spots in crevices and between large cobbles.

Great advice Relichunter, "patience is a virtue"! I never get discouraged when it comes to prospecting, its therapy just getting out in the outdoors. I spun my my wheels the first couple years of panning/sluicing, but I kept going back for more...there's something mesmerizing about that yellow stuff. Definitely have the fever...figured it's time to start detecting.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Cheers :occasion14:

cant go wrong with that choice. that will be the next one i get for sure, someday

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread