Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: How to metal detect for gold when its in black sand

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2008
    196 times
    I've tested my White's TDI SL by putting a small gold coin in several inches of pure black sand concentrate (got a pail full of the stuff from past cleanups) and I get a nice clean signal. Try that with a non-PI metal detector. I had a GMT for many years and loved it but got so tired of hitting areas of really dense black sand that absolutely stops VLF Induction Balance machines that I finally saved up for the TDI SL. I got in touch with Reg Sniff and he sent me his notes and photos on how to do the mods he's come up with. He said that I now own a poor mans TDI Pro.

Oct 2012
    NM/AZ
    V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
    437 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny in AB View Post
    Excuse me for jumping in here, but why do you know so much about the technical aspects of how detectors work? Are you in the business, or are you just a passionate hobbyist?

I just enjoy my machines and appreciate how they find gold, but I am in no way a technical expert, so, just curious.

All the best,

Lanny
    Sorry about all that, guess my Id was driving.

I do not design conventional metal detectors.

I have and continue to conceive of, design, build, and test sensors of various sorts, often for difficult applications, including for subsurface detection.

I wish there was better technology out there, that's all. And, I have a theoretical basis and direct experience regarding how it can be realized.

Problem is, the day job is not aligned around hobby metal detector applications. Thus, no time to realistically apply what I know to this problem set other than running calculations, pondering architectures, and so on.

It's a catch-22: working on a better mousetrap would take time away from playing with the mousetraps that already exist and getting the fresh air I need to not go totally bonkers and stay in some sort of beneficial physical shape.

Sounds like you probably find a lot more gold than I do. I am more of a hiker who metal detects, rather than a hard-core metal detectorist, per se. Though, I have found a few nuggets and a lot of ore minerals. Did you know that you can even hunt Cassiterite with a properly-configured detector? To me the detector is kind of another "sense" when I'm out and about, in the same line as binoculars, GPS, thermal camera, or the geologic and historical maps I load into soft "RAM" before I go.

Oct 2012
    NM/AZ
    V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
    437 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seden View Post
    I've tested my White's TDI SL by putting a small gold coin in several inches of pure black sand concentrate (got a pail full of the stuff from past cleanups) and I get a nice clean signal. Try that with a non-PI metal detector. I had a GMT for many years and loved it but got so tired of hitting areas of really dense black sand that absolutely stops VLF Induction Balance machines that I finally saved up for the TDI SL. I got in touch with Reg Sniff and he sent me his notes and photos on how to do the mods he's come up with. He said that I now own a poor mans TDI Pro.
    Just a note for those considering PI vs CW: You lose a lot of ancillary "information" with a PI (at least any one I have ever seen). Depending on how the machine is configured, the CW has a lot more information in the form of Phase (VDI number, whatever) and is able (for example Whites V3) to give you a graph of your swing since the CW signal is always "on". So for target ID and discrimination (which is automatic target ID plus a mute function), the CW machines have a lot more going for them.

us
    Nov 2012
    Whites TDI
    27 times
    Metal Detecting
    The TDI ( all three models ) have been used in some of the most harsh black sand beaches and all perform !!! ++1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seden View Post

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil,
    9060 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmth View Post
    Just a note for those considering PI vs CW: You lose a lot of ancillary "information" with a PI (at least any one I have ever seen). Depending on how the machine is configured, the CW has a lot more information in the form of Phase (VDI number, whatever) and is able (for example Whites V3) to give you a graph of your swing since the CW signal is always "on". So for target ID and discrimination (which is automatic target ID plus a mute function), the CW machines have a lot more going for them.
    seems that the best(successful) nugget hunting is done by digging everything...with machines that have no VDI
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links