Whites GMT or Tesoro Lobo Supertraq Whats the difference?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
185_8515.JPG If you are looking for either of these two metals, gold or silver, then either detector will find them. The gold in the picture I found with the help of my GMT detector while out prospecting in California Gold Country. The ground was highly mineralized, hot rocks, black sand and all the usual other issues found out in the mountains. The Tesoro Lobo is a favorite of Terry Solomon and as you already have two of the Tesoro products you should have a feel for their quality.

Before I purchased the GMT I purchased the original Gold Bug. Though I hunted in the same area with the GB as I did with the GMT I found only iron with the GB. Once I had the GMT it still took me awhile to learn how to use it, once I got over the leaning curve I started finding the gold with it. Different machines have different learning curves along with the various hints and tips to help tune each individual machine for the type of country each owner happens to be in.

There just happen to be a large number of 'good' machines out there now that can find Gold IF the machine owner spends the time to learn that particular machine. Both the machines you've asked about have been out there now for quite a few years and they will both find gold. Either machine needs to be used a lot to learn it, then more time needs to be spent waving the coil & optional coils over various hunks of ground. It takes money and time to be able to find Gold even a lot of time. Is it worth it? One must enjoy being out there or it is not worth it.

Good Luck with your choice!.................63bkpkr

Just recently Terry posted his poling results of the 10 best prospecting machines, check it out it should be helpful to you, its on this site below (Nov 7, 2017)

Last edited:

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used the gmt but I can tell you the lobo is an excellent gold detector. I have found sub grain pieces of gold and nice nuggets with the lobo. It is very sensitive and runs smoothly. Very durable and easy to use. I used a lobo for a few years and passed it on to my friends kid. I got a makro gold racer and I'm very happy with it too.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess what? The GMT and the LST, were both designed by Dave Johnson. Flip a coin! I like the Lobo Super Traq because it is lighter, less expensive, and has a Lifetime Warranty. Both are great machines. :skullflag:

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GMT is running at 48 kHz and the Lobo is 17.8 khz. Doesn't that make the GMT more sensitive? Also the GMT has both auto and manual ground balancing.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I own the LST and the machine runs fine for what I use it for but its quickly out grown.
I have never been able to get over the flimseness of the shaft. Granted I have an older model so maybe they beefed it up a bit.

what

Oct 9, 2015
USA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone want to add the Gold Bug 2 to this comparison? Pros/cons versus the GMT or LST?

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a few Lobo Super Traqs with different coils and i must say they have been good to me the past years in gold jewelry. Very simple to set up, runs stable, a little bit heavy but so easy in use.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone want to add the Gold Bug 2 to this comparison? Pros/cons versus the GMT or LST?

The Goldbug ll, beats both the GMT and the LST, for sensitivity and depth, but is more difficult to use and master. It is a trade off, as all three machines will find small pickers and nuggets. :coffee2:

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found some of the smallest "lead nuggets" but I don't live near any gold bearing areas where I can find gd nuggets or small flakes(or at least I've tried to find a nugget) , but the areas I've looked used to have alot of gold. But I find alot of human trash like bullets, shells, lead, cans, wire, etc. I know everyone finds those things, but that's all I'm finding.
I'm going to head north to Randsburg, and further but it's not something I can do with any frequency, driving 150, 300 miles. I think I might have to move further north. Thoughts? (I know, I'm whining, sorry)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting Aids

DSCN1654.JPG Cpo Mike, the picture show's a common poker chip to which I've glued a Large metal test sample, almost a 1/4" square piece of an old gold ring. The sample is way to Large, it could be 1/4 (1/16") of what you see in the picture, however the idea is to have a test sample to carry with you to help your mind to figure out what signal you should be listening for when you are "out there".

To me the fact that your are finding tiny lead says your machine can find gold as most prospecting detectors see lead & brass shell casings as being gold. However, if you happen to have a sacrificial gold ring to use you could make a couple of test samples (one large, one small) to carry with you to assist in your search for the yellow metal. The glue I used is called "Shoe Goo", can be found at Wal-Mart in their shoe polish area, and it will glue to nearly anything. Finding gold is quite a thrill so I hope this helps..................63bkpkr

I added the orange tape as sometimes even an obvious poker chip is not easy to find in river gravel or bushes.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1537056 Cpo Mike, the picture show's a common poker chip to which I've glued a Large metal test sample, almost a 1/4" square piece of an old gold ring. The sample is way to Large, it could be 1/4 (1/16") of what you see in the picture, however the idea is to have a test sample to carry with you to help your mind to figure out what signal you should be listening for when you are "out there".

To me the fact that your are finding tiny lead says your machine can find gold as most prospecting detectors see lead & brass shell casings as being gold. However, if you happen to have a sacrificial gold ring to use you could make a couple of test samples (one large, one small) to carry with you to assist in your search for the yellow metal. The glue I used is called "Shoe Goo", can be found at Wal-Mart in their shoe polish area, and it will glue to nearly anything. Finding gold is quite a thrill so I hope this helps..................63bkpkr

I added the orange tape as sometimes even an obvious poker chip is not easy to find in river gravel or bushes.
I taped a "flacgett" to a business card but have since misplaced it, so your idea does have relevence. Should I find it, I'll correct that problem.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both capable machines and both I owned and used...hard choice but you should consider the handle...the Lobo has the S style handle, after long use it will make your wrists ache, i don't particularly like this s configuration. In my opinion the Whites has a better ergonomic handle, better on wrists. Second would be the iron probability LCD display on the Whites..I prefer this better overall than the Lobo. The Lobo is a fine detector, very stable in hot ground..and life time warranty. My choice would be go for the Whites GMT Goldmaster...because the handle is much more comfortable and easy to use..auto ground balance..turn on and go machine.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have both, and they will definitely find gold. The GMT has more features than the LST, like a manual as well as an auto GB(responds faster than the LST) , and VSAT which controls reset between targets. The VSAT control is on a rheostat so you pretty much have hundreds of speed settings, unlike the some of the newer VLF machines that have three to five settings. The GMT also has a secret setting that's not mentioned in the manual. If you turn up the VSAT to the max setting, special software causes the reset speed to be almost instantaneous. I get little depth on this setting, but I can pick out good targets in mine tailings infested with coke and hot/cold stones. I have lots of respect for the LST, but I think that the GMT is definitely a step up in capability.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info on the GMT, I'm going to try that out.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info on the GMT, I'm going to try that out.
I got a piece of gold that is approximately 22k and weighs 3 grains that I glued to a poker chip. Max distance from my coil is 3 maybe 3 1/2 inches, it's really a very soft whisper. I've found lead half that size and louder. Does my machine need to be tuned by a professional shop?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread